Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5/6 security ?  (Read 15088 times)

Offline dub singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 13
  • Snakebite Chasers...
    • Email
Re: Mk5/6 security ?
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2011, 09:39:35 pm »
3 times more ! I doubt it for a 1.6 mk5 compared to a multi modded 200 plus bhp car. Mk 5 1.6 is Insurance group 6 ! So your saying your modded previous car with 200bhp was about group 3. I think your making it up , but for what reason?

Cost to insure... Previous car was a group 14... With everything declared on the car the total was under 700!
Insurance on a standard MK5 1.6 under the same conditions -postcode.. etc was just over1800!
If you're having Audio problems i feel bad for ya son... I've got 99 problems but Bass aint one!

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2011, 09:41:17 pm »
Proving your keys have been stolen is the first problem most people struggle with when making a claim. I have dealt with one fella who claimed the key fell off his key ring ! He still had all his other keys on the keyring. He had set fire to his car and left the key in the ignition which was recovered and showed no sign of it being worn or damaged allowing it to fall off. He eventually admitted he had lied , but only half way through a Court case.

Burgled homes and keys stolen together and cars stolen with inside men probably makes up less than 5% of total car theft , probably less than that . Alot of car theft is technical theft rather than someone actually creeping up to your car and stealing it. Large majority now are old bangers under £2k due to alot better standard security
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2011, 09:44:50 pm »
3 times more ! I doubt it for a 1.6 mk5 compared to a multi modded 200 plus bhp car. Mk 5 1.6 is Insurance group 6 ! So your saying your modded previous car with 200bhp was about group 3. I think your making it up , but for what reason?

Cost to insure... Previous car was a group 14... With everything declared on the car the total was under 700!
Insurance on a standard MK5 1.6 under the same conditions -postcode.. etc was just over1800!

Well whoever quoted you got it wrong or they didn't want your business. The group 14 compared to group 6 would never be less , that is the whole point of car insurance groups.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2011, 09:55:18 pm »
I'd have thought that if a thief really wanted a car, they'd take it key or no key.

Perhaps we should ask the insurers about their opinion on this?

Car insurance group ratings are monitored and adjusted on a very regular basis and insurers like bookmakers don't like losing money when there is opportunity to make more. Very few Ferraris and Lamborghinis are stolen but they are still top rated insurance risks. Very few Peugeot 106/Citroen C1 's etc are stolen and infact i have never heard of one. They are the lowest group rating ..... why? Expensive cars are rated high to get more money as there is a big loss to pay if one is written off/lost/stolen etc cheap cars rated low as losses will be lower. Very complicated process to get Insurance ratings....there used to be about 15 now there are nearly 100 !
If MK5 GTi/R32's were easy to steal their ratings would have been increased. They haven't and that is the answer Stealthwolf

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2011, 10:05:14 pm »
I'd have thought that if a thief really wanted a car, they'd take it key or no key.

Car insurance group ratings are monitored and adjusted on a very regular basis and insurers like bookmakers don't like losing money when there is opportunity to make more. Very few Ferraris and Lamborghinis are stolen but they are still top rated insurance risks. Very few Peugeot 106/Citroen C1 's etc are stolen and infact i have never heard of one. They are the lowest group rating ..... why? Expensive cars are rated high to get more money as there is a big loss to pay if one is written off/lost/stolen etc cheap cars rated low as losses will be lower. Very complicated process to get Insurance ratings....there used to be about 15 now there are nearly 100 !
If MK5 GTi/R32's were easy to steal their ratings would have been increased. They haven't and that is the answer Stealthwolf

Thank god someone is talking sense in this thread. Nice one Garrard.  :congrats:  I guess we have to live with how the internet works. It amazes me how powerful a post can be in certain context, without any proof or statistics to back it up. Just chinese whispers/rumors followed by mass panic.  :fighting2:

Offline ILoveTuna

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2011, 11:14:43 pm »
Spot on. I concur  :happy2: :happy2: :happy2:

Thank god someone is talking sense in this thread. Nice one Garrard.  :congrats:  I guess we have to live with how the internet works. It amazes me how powerful a post can be in certain context, without any proof or statistics to back it up. Just chinese whispers/rumors followed by mass panic.  :fighting2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2011, 12:31:29 pm »
Thanks. That's the kind of answer I expected.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.