Make a donation

Author Topic: OEM short shifr - Mk2 TT part  (Read 749 times)

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
OEM short shifr - Mk2 TT part
« on: November 19, 2011, 06:41:47 pm »
Well after using a mk1 TT selector to drastically shorten the throw of my last cars gearchange - (an 02S 6 speed - same as 02J 5 speed really) - I was keen to exploit an OEM solution for my newly acquired mk5.

Thanks to Alex and BDM for helping me out with the part number - I ordered the selector from TPS - cost me about £22.

When I took my mk5 gti one off I could barely tell a difference between the two....not a good sign! I think there must be 10mm max difference in the centres.

On fitting to be quite honest I can barely tell any difference in the throw of the gear stick :sad1:

The mk1 item on the previous generation box made a huge difference....

So my ten peneth is not to bother with this modification!

I may look further into this....some of the 6 speeders (ie like my old O2S) had a mirror image of what the mk5 is like - so the keyway on the splines of the gearbox selector are 180degrees out. I  wander if I use the relevant 'relay lever' from the older style boxes I may be able to use the mk1TT short shift lever.

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
Re: OEM short shifr - Mk2 TT part
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 08:55:51 pm »
I fitted one to the oh's Altea and didnt really notice the difference.  She did so I got busted for that mod.  Also fitted one to a customers vRS and he noticed the difference straight away.

I have a Sigma 6 on the vRS and thats shorter than a forge item and uses rose jointed ends to make it very precise.  Fairly expensive at around £200 but you get what you pay for.  Go for that if you want the best.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline daz_pd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 7
  • My VRS
Re: OEM short shifr - Mk2 TT part
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 10:50:07 am »
I fitted the S3/TTS one to my VRS and there is def a difference, but its only small, I would say it prob like 17%, but thats all I wanted so Im happy