Make a donation

Author Topic: blown headlight bulb  (Read 7403 times)

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
blown headlight bulb
« on: November 20, 2011, 10:01:57 am »
on my way home last night driving in some quite bad fog, my driver side headlight bulb decides its had enough of work and decides to blow, i thought both of them had gone at 1st but it turned out it was just the drivers side 1.

my 1st question is what bulbs do people recommend??? i will change both if there are a better bulb i could use. are there any better than the standard ones?????

lastly, are the headlight bulbs easy to replace??? i am sure i remember they were a pain in the backside to change on the mk4, but maybe it was just me making hard work of it then :laugh:

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
Re: blown headlight bulb
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 10:06:56 am »
Bad timing that mate.  You have a choice for upgrades, top 2 are either Philips blue vision or Osram nightbreaker, personally I went for Ring Xenon Max, cheaper than the other 2 and after a direct comparison with the Osrams, identical light output and colour.

As to changing the bulb, piece of cake, if you take more than 2 minutes to do it, then shame on you!  :laugh:

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 10:18:53 am »
Bad timing that mate.  You have a choice for upgrades, top 2 are either Philips blue vision or Osram nightbreaker, personally I went for Ring Xenon Max, cheaper than the other 2 and after a direct comparison with the Osrams, identical light output and colour.

As to changing the bulb, piece of cake, if you take more than 2 minutes to do it, then shame on you!  :laugh:

any idea on the prices for the bulbs, as i live in the sticks i will have to go to halfords :fighting: and pay top dollar as well :sad1:

ha ha i shall use my stop watch and report my shameful time back to you :ashamed:

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 10:20:24 am »

I have the Philips extreme but output is very yellow. What colour are the ring xenons?

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 10:23:58 am »
Bad timing that mate.  You have a choice for upgrades, top 2 are either Philips blue vision or Osram nightbreaker, personally I went for Ring Xenon Max, cheaper than the other 2 and after a direct comparison with the Osrams, identical light output and colour.

As to changing the bulb, piece of cake, if you take more than 2 minutes to do it, then shame on you!  :laugh:

any idea on the prices for the bulbs, as i live in the sticks i will have to go to halfords :fighting: and pay top dollar as well :sad1:

ha ha i shall use my stop watch and report my shameful time back to you :ashamed:

Order from the comfort of your own front room buddy!  
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-RING-H7-XENON-MAX-HEADLIGHT-Bulbs-up-100-BRIGHTER-/270841374087?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0f676587

Bad timing that mate.  You have a choice for upgrades, top 2 are either Philips blue vision or Osram nightbreaker, personally I went for Ring Xenon Max, cheaper than the other 2 and after a direct comparison with the Osrams, identical light output and colour.

As to changing the bulb, piece of cake, if you take more than 2 minutes to do it, then shame on you!  :laugh:

I have the Philips extreme but output is very yellow. What colour are the ring xenons?

White.......compared to OE!

Nothing will compare to xenons though.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 10:26:11 am by vRS_Pagey »

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline Weston

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 10:32:55 am »
Order a pair or two of the mentioned bulbs and in the meantime swap one of your full beam bulbs out do the dipped beam works till they arrive  :happy2:
GTI going...

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 11:04:36 am »
I found the Philips X-treme to be much whiter than OEM. Still had a yellow tinge.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 11:42:40 am »
I found the Philips X-treme to be much whiter than OEM. Still had a yellow tinge.

I remember at the time I fitted them they looked whiter but these days they seem really yellow.  Don't know if they yellow over time or it was just in comparison to the stupidly yellow oem bulbs?

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 11:50:48 am »
i fitted the osram day lighter plus--excellent bulb

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 01:25:19 pm »

i have been out and got myself some of the ring xenon max, just put them in, will let you know what i think of them tomorrow after work.

paid £21 for them, bit more than your ebay link, but didnt really want to wait as i go to work and come home in the dark and want both lights working and need full beams as i live in the sticks.

thanks for your help :happy2:

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 03:53:52 pm »

i have been out and got myself some of the ring xenon max, just put them in, will let you know what i think of them tomorrow after work.

paid £21 for them, bit more than your ebay link, but didnt really want to wait as i go to work and come home in the dark and want both lights working and need full beams as i live in the sticks.

thanks for your help :happy2:

Look forward to your feedback.  Some pics would be brilliant if you have the time :happy2:

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 08:41:30 pm »
well after choosing the Ring xenon max headlight bulbs, i fitted them on sunday but havent really had a chance to see what they are really like due to it being foggy for the last couple of days. however, no fog tonight and i have gotta say i am impressed, my drive home from work is all unlit country roads where i used to use my full beams at every opportunity, but with these bulbs you didnt really have to, they are much brighter than what i had in before, they give out a very good white light. 

i wasnt expecting such a big difference and have to say i am impressed.

will try and sort out a couple of pics in a day or 2

Offline Weston

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 08:57:21 pm »
Sounds like you chose well  :grin:
GTI going...

Offline vRS_Pagey