Make a donation

Author Topic: its gone pop....again  (Read 30153 times)

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Re: its gone pop
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 09:12:53 am »
As has already been said, i'd be awazed if VW didn't honour it. Especially as it was only serviced recently..  :happy2:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 09:27:13 am »
Scary Pics there Phil  :surprised: :surprised:

That would bring me to  :sad: if that happened to me!  :scared:

Offline E30m3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2008, 09:40:42 am »
the fact that you said you had it serviced worries me ?

who serviced your car ?  Leicester VW ?

My coil packs caused a juddering/misfiring and the car sounded like  a suburu flat four, when hooked to a diagnostics machine the car only said it had a misfire/ignition problem.

When the VW breakdown reeovery technician came he looked at the engine bay and immeaditaly noticed the problem,

THE COIL PACK WAS 1/2mm upwards, ie not fitted correctly ! This caused 2 coilpacks 2 fail, lucky it wasn't worse.

The thing was I just had the car serviced and it was a week old in my hands !!!! Leicester VW did the servicing, the tech looked at the engine bay and checked the plugs and coils, he said the car hasn't been serviced for atleast 5 months !!!

Leicester VW suck balls.  :angry015:

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 10:00:42 am »
Hope it does turn out to be the coilpacks and not anything more serious. Good luck mate, hope all goes well  :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline The wheel man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 10:26:32 am »
the fact that you said you had it serviced worries me ?

who serviced your car ?  Leicester VW ?

My coil packs caused a juddering/misfiring and the car sounded like  a suburu flat four, when hooked to a diagnostics machine the car only said it had a misfire/ignition problem.

When the VW breakdown reeovery technician came he looked at the engine bay and immeaditaly noticed the problem,

THE COIL PACK WAS 1/2mm upwards, ie not fitted correctly ! This caused 2 coilpacks 2 fail, lucky it wasn't worse.

The thing was I just had the car serviced and it was a week old in my hands !!!! Leicester VW did the servicing, the tech looked at the engine bay and checked the plugs and coils, he said the car hasn't been serviced for atleast 5 months !!!

Leicester VW suck balls.  :angry015:

Not what i need to hear!!!!  Its being collected in about an hour so we will see what happens later.  this has been a s**t week, need the front screen replacing as its goning to fail the MOT that is tomorrow too...  This is hurting my pockets  :sad:

Where in leicester are you E30M3
APR cat back, ECS Insert

Offline E30m3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2008, 10:58:48 am »
Ben im near Houghton on the Hill, but am at other places in Leicester sometimes, most of the time however im in Lutterworth or London.

You say you car was serviced 8 weeks ago, if it is a coilpack, ask was it not possible to spot the fault at service?

I hope the dealer sorts you and looks after you under goodwill.

Also i wouldn't worry too much, i think the service dept now at Leicester VW is alot better than before, but i would not touch Leicestr VW's sales dept across the road. Hopefully Ben it should be cheap fix with no major worries or cost ! :)

I always use Arthur prince now for any work, maybe far and there courtesy cars are a bit long, but they have proper customer service and qaulity work.

about the Window , you can get it replaced on your insurance for whatever the windowscreen excess is, mines was £50 direct line.

If your not sure ring your insurance company and tell them where an you get your windscreen fixed .

again Ben hope it all goes well with minimum of hassle and cost.

Raj.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2008, 05:28:32 pm »
I wouldn't think it would be seen at service and wouldn't have been damaged as a result of service unless the plugs were changed.

They are simply coils that can, and do, break down and fail.  When they fail they can draw a lot of current which is what causes the small fires.

As the pics that Steve posted show, if the coil manages to burn enough to catch the engine cover then that's when your problems will start.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2008, 05:52:06 pm »
As the pics that Steve posted show, if the coil manages to burn enough to catch the engine cover then that's when your problems will start.

....So changing the stock plastic engine cover (with fat flammable panel filter inside!) to one such as the aluminium EVOMS one might just reduce the spread of a coilpack fire?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2008, 07:03:37 pm »

....So changing the stock plastic engine cover (with fat flammable panel filter inside!) to one such as the aluminium EVOMS one might just reduce the spread of a coilpack fire?

Yes it would Red but it is very rare for that to happen, thats like saying if i wrap my fuel tank in kevlar will this reduce explosions.  :chicken:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2008, 07:08:41 pm »

Yes it would Red but it is very rare for that to happen, thats like saying if i wrap my fuel tank in kevlar will this reduce explosions.  :chicken:

....Hushhhhh!! You'll be giving Hurdy more ideas for carbonfibre! :evilgrin:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2008, 08:52:01 pm »
As soon as the pics came up, there should have been a warning sign. Some of us might be very upset at seeing a burnt GTI!

:sad: :sad: :sad:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2008, 11:02:36 pm »
Any news yet?
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline The wheel man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2008, 02:55:38 pm »
Just got the call from VW.  It was the coil pack and they are do the work under warranty!!!!!!!!

Very chuffed although it will be tomorrow before i get the car back...

All in all not too bad, ive been stressing about what else went wrong and could see a bill of 1K coming my way......

Thanks for the info though guys, i mentioned that it sounded like the coilpack and mentioned that there seems to be lots of problems with this and it seemed to make them pay attention to what i said.

Ben
APR cat back, ECS Insert

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2008, 02:57:09 pm »
nice one, glad you got a good result  :happy2:

Offline WhiteGTI