Make a donation

Author Topic: John87's Candy White GTi  (Read 4541 times)

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
John87's Candy White GTi
« on: November 21, 2011, 10:32:33 am »
John got in touch to have his Candy GTi prep'd for winter, with some correction aswell due to him noticing some swirling on the paintwork. So we worked out a date and he dropped the car off at my unit.

Ive got no picutres of when the car wash stage as my camera had ran out of battery  :ashamed:

First up was the engine bay, it wasnt too bad, just some built up dirt and grease in the usual spots, this was dealt with with Meguiars APC and Meguiars super de-greaser, aggitated with various brushes then power rinsed, the bay was then dressed with AG super sheen.
The wheels that are on the car are just winters with winter tyres fitted, a set of 18" Monza's are tucked away. So onto the wheels, which were dealt with with Meguiars Wheel brightner and a swissvax wheel brush and EZ detail mini, tyres were done with Meguiars APC as were the arches. Then tar spots were removed from the wheels with AS tardis.

The car was then snowfoamed with Meguiars Shampoo plus, while this was dwelling the badges and shuts etc were aggitated with various detailing brushes. The foam was the power rinsed off and the car was washed the usual two bucket method with a lambswool mitt. The car was then sprayed with Wolfs de-con gel, this is where my camera now was working  :happy2:

The de-con gel working away

As you can see from the photo the paintwork was quite havily contaminated. The larger tar spots were removed with AS tardis and then the paintwork was clayed to leave a contaminant free surface.

The car was then brought inside and dried down with plush drying towels then taped up ready for the correction stage. After a few tests and pad and polish combos, Megs #105 with a geen 3M pad was used followed by Megs #205 on a 3M blue. A few 50/50's to show the level of correction

The rest of the car was in a similar condition.
The gloss blach B post trims were also done using a Chemical guys white hex logic spot pad and Megs #205
a 50/50 on these

The rear lights were also done with the same technique

I then applied Werkstat acrylic prime to the paint work, followed by two coats of Acrylic Jett 45 mins apart, inbetween coats i dressed the trim with CG dressal as with the tyres and polished the glass.
Then the car was given two coats of Megs #16 wax, with one hour between coats, inbetween coats i sealed the wheels with poorboys wheel sealant and polished the door shuts and under bonnnet with Wersktat arcylic prime strong.

The interior was done by Craig (Truckie)

Looking like a fruit!!  :laugh:

The car was then given a final wipe down with Werkstat gloss to leave this..........

All in all it was around 18 hours work.
All comments and questions welcome, thanks for reading
Craig

PM for details

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
Re: John87's Candy White GTi
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 12:19:45 pm »
Once again Craig, I can't thank you enough - simply amazing results!  :happy2:

Now that I can see the before and after pictures, the 50/50 panel pictures show the difference in finish..I've definitely got the cleanest car in the car park  :innocent:

was a pleasure meeting you and I've already got several people counting their pennies for similar work  :drool:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline E30Dom

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 01:45:08 pm »
Looks awesome! Assume it was rotary polished not DA...

Great finish! (from a fellow Werkstatt user ;) )
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 04:56:28 pm »
Once again Craig, I can't thank you enough - simply amazing results!  :happy2:

Now that I can see the before and after pictures, the 50/50 panel pictures show the difference in finish..I've definitely got the cleanest car in the car park  :innocent:

was a pleasure meeting you and I've already got several people counting their pennies for similar work  :drool:

Same goes to you John. Cheers

PM for details

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 04:58:18 pm »
Looks awesome! Assume it was rotary polished not DA...

Great finish! (from a fellow Werkstatt user ;) )

Cheers Dom. Yes it was a rotary. A milauwalkee ap12qe.

PM for details

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 06:11:11 pm »
Excellent turn around.  :congrats:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

psw mk5

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 06:14:13 pm »
Stunning work Craig 1+2 I'll have to get me some of that werkstat stuff after seeing your results...... See what you mean bout t'other Craig... Well I will walk one thousand miles  :grin:  .... If you wasn't soooooo far away you'd prob get loads more work.   But you know what us English are like crossing the border  :P once again stunning  :notworthy:

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 06:28:30 pm »
Stunning work Craig 1+2 I'll have to get me some of that werkstat stuff after seeing your results...... See what you mean bout t'other Craig... Well I will walk one thousand miles  :grin:  .... If you wasn't soooooo far away you'd prob get loads more work.   But you know what us English are like crossing the border  :P once again stunning  :notworthy:

haha, he will kill me for sticking that up! The Wekstat Acrylic kit is amazing on white and silver, and so so simple to use. Thanks for the comments, traveling was an option, even more so now perhaps that Truckie has a van  :driver:

PM for details

Offline strapper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 08:41:56 pm »
Good job! Bet the owner is happy with that!
Tornado red mk5 Gti no more
Tornado red 3dr mk5 R32, leather recaros, satnav, arm rest, electricaly folding wing mirrors, sunroof, parking sensors, wOOwzers I've just made a mess of my trousers!l
Mk7 Gti 5dr solid white

Offline welikeaps

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 09:25:57 pm »
I said it before last year to Truckie, but great work as usual :happy2:.
If only you could travel down south? A possible group buy for members in the southeast to make it worth you while?

Offline RussZS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 08:06:29 am »
Superb effort indeed!  Werkstat works really well on white, great glow to the finish!  :happy2:
www.midlandscarcare.co.uk - www.facebook.com/midlandscarcare

I used to be indecisive.......... but now I'm not so sure!

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 11:10:48 am »
Me needs to upgrade my DA to a rotary... what the best entry level one would you suggest...
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline RussZS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 05:56:35 pm »
Me needs to upgrade my DA to a rotary... what the best entry level one would you suggest...

What would your budget be?

I'd go for a light one, so probably Dodo Juice Spin Doctor Pro or the CYC one:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/cleanyoucar-ep800-compact-rotary-polisher/cleanyoucar-ep800-compact-rotary-polisher/prod_854.html
www.midlandscarcare.co.uk - www.facebook.com/midlandscarcare

I used to be indecisive.......... but now I'm not so sure!

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 10:46:20 pm »
Cracking job their guys, theres a few more caravans up there now you guys opening up a holiday park :grin:

before you buy another machine check out the Megs d300 range rave reviews and is meant to bridge the gap between rotary and da use. Cg also have a similar pad setup.

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 09:15:41 am »
It's a new venture Keith, you can stay the night while your car is detailed. Hope it takes off  :grin:

PM for details