Make a donation

Author Topic: R32 vs Mapped Gti  (Read 9053 times)

Offline patrickcullen87

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
R32 vs Mapped Gti
« on: November 26, 2011, 11:11:53 am »
just wondering if there is much difference in terms of fuel economy between the 2??

Looking at buying an R32 as i fancy going 4wheel drive instead of 2, and the noise off it is just mmm  :ashamed:

Anyone any experience of owning the 2 cars and could lend their opinion.

Thanks
Admin Notice Sig Removed - Signature images should be no bigger than 450 pixels wide x 150 pixels high

Offline ILoveTuna

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: R32 vs Mapped Gti
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 11:15:32 am »
I wouldnt be looking at either if you are thinking about fuel economy!!  :signLOL: :signLOL: :signLOL:

just wondering if there is much difference in terms of fuel economy between the 2??

Looking at buying an R32 as i fancy going 4wheel drive instead of 2, and the noise off it is just mmm  :ashamed:

Anyone any experience of owning the 2 cars and could lend their opinion.

Thanks

Offline E30Dom

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 11:21:13 am »
Averaged about 29mpg, but that was as a daily driver... so careful driving. The noise is awesome and miss that lots, also miss the traction, you could literally dump the clutch at hi revs and it would just dump the power to all four wheels and go, and this was fun out of junctions... I wish i never put mine back to standard and sold it... :signLOL:

On the other hand my stage 2 edition 30 is currently averaging 34mpg, was averaging 32mpg driven harder but clutch is slipping so driving careful... on a daily run to work i can get 40+mpg... But this is on V-power solely.

They are cool cars and I spent alot on suspension KW v3's, H&R ARB's, Poly bushes, UNiBrace, lightweight wheels and it handle like on rails(literally) but before they do push the nose wide due to the weight up front... The Evoms kit sounds awesome as does a non res milltek ;)

I'd have another!  :signLOL: BUt a stage 2 Ed30 pisses all over one(once it gains traction!)

Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 11:22:34 am »
The GTI is bearable but despite it's voluptuous charms the R32 does like a drink especially if you like the sounds.  :laugh:

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 11:25:45 am »
Averaged about 29mpg, but that was as a daily driver... so careful driving. The noise is awesome and miss that lots, also miss the traction, you could literally dump the clutch at hi revs and it would just dump the power to all four wheels and go, and this was fun out of junctions... I wish i never put mine back to standard and sold it... :signLOL:

On the other hand my stage 2 edition 30 is currently averaging 34mpg, was averaging 32mpg driven harder but clutch is slipping so driving careful... on a daily run to work i can get 40+mpg... But this is on V-power solely.

They are cool cars and I spent alot on suspension KW v3's, H&R ARB's, Poly bushes, UNiBrace, lightweight wheels and it handle like on rails(literally) but before they do push the nose wide due to the weight up front... The Evoms kit sounds awesome as does a non res milltek ;)

I'd have another!  :signLOL: BUt a stage 2 Ed30 pisses all over one(once it gains traction!)

How the hell do you get over 30mpg from a stage 2?

Ive got a stage 1 GTI and i never get 30mpg on a run... usually 25-28
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline patrickcullen87

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 11:32:41 am »
im not overly bothered about fuel consumption, was just wondering if its drastically more thirsty than the gti  :signLOL:

i am getting about 28mpg on average with my gti just now.

i was in my mates S3 Sportback last nyt and the way it handles in the wet is incredible, compared to my gti which just slides all over the place :( he was telling me he his old R32 handled just aswel as the S3 so after last night i am sold on 4wheel drive.

And it just so happens its coming into winter again, last year my Gti was stuck in my drive for 3 weeks and wouldnt move so i dont want a repeat again this year.
Admin Notice Sig Removed - Signature images should be no bigger than 450 pixels wide x 150 pixels high

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 11:37:02 am »
im not overly bothered about fuel consumption, was just wondering if its drastically more thirsty than the gti  :signLOL:

i was in my mates S3 Sportback last nyt and the way it handles in the wet is incredible, compared to my gti which just slides all over the place :( he was telling me he his old R32 handled just aswel as the S3 so after last night i am sold on 4wheel drive.

And it just so happens its coming into winter again, last year my Gti was stuck in my drive for 3 weeks and wouldnt move so i dont want a repeat again this year.

I've never driven a car that under steers so much....and that was my friends S3, my ed30 is by no means free of under steer but for 4wd I thought it was shocking

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline patrickcullen87

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 11:44:05 am »

I've never driven a car that under steers so much....and that was my friends S3, my ed30 is by no means free of under steer but for 4wd I thought it was shocking

really?? was it the 3door or the 5door? his Sportback was unbelievable, stuck to the road like glue, handling was so responsive and you could feel what the car was tryng to do with no unexpected surprises.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 12:18:12 pm »

a factor could be down to what tyres both cars was running  :smiley:

really?? was it the 3door or the 5door? his Sportback was unbelievable, stuck to the road like glue, handling was so responsive and you could feel what the car was tryng to do with no unexpected surprises.

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 01:18:07 pm »
as a suggestion, you could go for the A3 3.2 quattro? it's cheaper because it wasn't a "flagship" model as such - then the economy won't matter  :laugh:

just bear in mind that the sat nav in the 8P is considerably worse than RNS-510 but other than that i'd say they're pretty equally matched so for me it'd be a no brainer considering the difference in price
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline patrickcullen87

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 01:26:54 pm »
as a suggestion, you could go for the A3 3.2 quattro? it's cheaper because it wasn't a "flagship" model as such - then the economy won't matter  :laugh:

just bear in mind that the sat nav in the 8P is considerably worse than RNS-510 but other than that i'd say they're pretty equally matched so for me it'd be a no brainer considering the difference in price

i thought about that but i prefer the R32, i had the A3 before the Gti and i didnt find it to be as 'fun' it was to sensible in my opinion. if i was buying another audi it would be the S3 but its a little out my price range just now.

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 01:29:26 pm »
r32 due to extra weight and 4wd loses a bit of steering precision and what's going on under the wheels, on up side it grips great,,, always about trade offs....

Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 03:59:50 pm »
I found the R32 slow and thirsty, sounded great though, especially with the Milltek. I'd have an S3 over the R32 any day. Quick remap and it's 310 plus, and better on fuel if driven sensibly. But to be fair none are brilliant on fuel.......
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 04:06:31 pm »
I found the R32 slow and thirsty, sounded great though, especially with the Milltek. I'd have an S3 over the R32 any day. Quick remap and it's 310 plus, and better on fuel if driven sensibly. But to be fair none are brilliant on fuel.......
+1 on this

For a car to be fast it has to use fuel...so a fast car thats good on fuel is pretty darn rare...gotta pay the monies if you want to be quick I suppose  :drinking:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline patrickcullen87

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 04:18:17 pm »
+1 on this

For a car to be fast it has to use fuel...so a fast car thats good on fuel is pretty darn rare...gotta pay the monies if you want to be quick I suppose  :drinking:

Ive said above that i am not to concerned about fuel just wanted a comparasin to the Gti on how greedy it was  :smiley:

An S3 is out of the Question....if i was getting an S3 it would be a sportback but they are going for silly money just now.

I am looking to spend about 13k so not quite into S3 money yet.

Would an R32 be faster than a mapped stage 1 Gti?