Make a donation

Author Topic: Is my website ok?  (Read 4253 times)

Offline JackG

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
Is my website ok?
« on: November 27, 2011, 09:19:02 pm »
Hi guys,

As some of you may know I've recently started my own detailing buisness
It's taken me months to get this website sorted and after lots of "it's not right" "I don't like the shade" etc etc
I think I'm happy with it  :jumpmove:

I'd just like some opinions on weather it seems to go on too much or if there is anything yourselfs as customers may change
I'm still adding my gallery pages so I am aware that's not great but the rest I'm happy with

I'd just like some opinions on what I should maybe change/get rid of......I've newe done this before so it is my 1st attempt so please be nice  :signLOL:

http://www.distinctdetailing.co.uk/

Thanks for all the advice on advertising in places too! This forum has helped me big time with all this
Thank you guys   :notworthy:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
Re: Is my website ok?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 09:31:21 pm »
Site looks professional enough, maybe a little basic (you might be aiming for this im not sure?), only thing I would fix is the main Purple bar at top, it has jagged edges as if its not coded correctly and maybe make the GTI Pic a little more realistic as it looks a little squashed currently.

Under showrooms header your "basic Bi-weekly wash" currently reads "Baic Bi-weekly wash".

Also a testimonial page for your customers to write reports would be helpfull for others thinking of using your services.

Otherwise it has most things you need I think.

Good luck with things!!

MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 09:35:15 pm »
Site looks professional enough, maybe a little basic (you might be aiming for this im not sure?), only thing I would fix is the main Purple bar at top, it has jagged edges as if its not coded correctly and maybe make the GTI Pic a little more realistic as it looks a little squashed currently.

Under showrooms header your "basic Bi-weekly wash" currently reads "Baic Bi-weekly wash".

Also a testimonial page for your customers to write reports would be helpfull for others thinking of using your services.

Otherwise it has most things you need I think.

Good luck with things!!

Thats great, thanks for pointing that out  :happy2:
I'm trying to keep it "simple ish" I don't want it mega tricky and want it to have the answers pepole may ask
So I am aiming to be intermediate simple of that makes sense  :signLOL:

Thanks for your input  :congrats:

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:39:26 pm by JackG »

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 09:37:47 pm »
Services page is too long. Too much text and takes too long to read.

A website should have impact, be simple, and most the pages should be limited to 1 screen.

All imo of course.  :happy2:

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 09:41:29 pm »
Services page is too long. Too much text and takes too long to read.

A website should have impact, be simple, and most the pages should be limited to 1 screen.

All imo of course.  :happy2:

Have thought that myself...do you think it would reply  questions you may have tho?

Thank you  :happy2:

Offline Verity

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 09:42:28 pm »
The Showroom page is currently not looking 100%
A problem occurred the other day,  :scared: and the one fix the 'tech experts' at the website host help line could come up with, was to delete the page and start again.
So I need to completely rebuild that page. First job to do Monday morning

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 09:46:04 pm »
The Showroom page is currently not looking 100%
A problem occurred the other day,  :scared: and the one fix the 'tech experts' at the website host help line could come up with, was to delete the page and start again.
So I need to completely rebuild that page. First job to do Monday morning

This is my partner in crime too  :signLOL:

She's the brains behind this all.....I'll just blame her for any probs  :fighting2:

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 10:14:24 pm »
Personally (and I like to see websites pleasing on the eye) there's too many different styles and fonts, too many different colours, etc. on the home page. I didn't go any further as it put me off.
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline welikeaps

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 10:55:05 pm »
Distinct Detailing "Discover Whats Possible"

this is at the bottom of the Homepage. It should read "Discover What's Possible" as per the top of the Homepage.

HTH

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 11:19:24 pm »
Distinct Detailing "Discover Whats Possible"

this is at the bottom of the Homepage. It should read "Discover What's Possible" as per the top of the Homepage.

HTH

Yes it does help  :happy2: after a few weeks of it and making change after change after change it all seems bang on but a fresh set of eyes allways helps  :drinking:

Jack

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 11:28:28 pm »
+1 on sorting the pic at the top as it does look squashed. :happy2:

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 08:31:06 am »
Home page looks much better now.   :happy2:

Another thing to look at is the pictures. Your work will show off the paintwork and finish of a car only as well as the picture you take. Your pics on there are very hard to see any detail, (with the exception of the Mazda which is fairly good) and could just be lifted from Google pics. You need good quality before and afters, or 50/50 splits to really show what you can do.

Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 08:45:56 am »
contact page looks bad being one image + will take forever to load, get rid of the hit counter thats so 1960's, the top menu bar shouldn't really be on 2 rows, hi res images would be a bonus, the page title is still "webbuilder"

Just noticed most pages are images not text, thats bad it will never get referenced by any search engine.

think the background should be more than just black, dont think the purple suits the color scheme.

Its a working progress  :signLOL:

These are imo and i dont mean to offend, only help as i know enough to comment.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 09:04:15 am »
I do like the company logo and font but the menu bar and counter grate against it.

I'd redesign the menu into a single bar (rather than two) and change the design of it. If you want to keep the purple, fine but lose the paint/crayon effect and make it solid and sharp. Alternatively, design it so that it's a menu with a coloured solid background but a "~" appears under each item as you hover over it. It'd fit more with the logo.

For the "service" section, consider links on the side so you can jump down to the relevant section without having to scroll.

On prices, might be worth explaining or giving examples of what small/medium/large is eg hatchback/saloon/truck etc

For the contact detail, use the 'f' symbol that's now associated with facebook. Make the contacts links so I can click on it to email you or go to your facebook website.

Showrooms - again, congested menu - think about redesigning this.

My tuppence.  :happy2:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 11
    • iBett
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 11:21:18 am »
Ok I will be honest, being a part time web designer I feel I need to contribute!

First thing your attracting to is the "Welcome to Distinct Detailing" banner. Now you have less then 6 seconds to capture someone and keep them on your website so my maint suggestion here would be -

Remove the main top image with the golf on, replace this with the one mentioned above.

Next up is the Nav Bar, the colour isn't too bad, not my personal preference, but try a nice simple CSS3 nav bar, nice gradient on there with drop down menus. When I hit show rooms it leads to what can appear to be a blank page, either have this page and then large clickable icons to other pages or make it so it's options drop on hover of showroom. It took me a while to find the sub-navigation in all honesty.

If you are 100% commited to keeping that navigation bar then align the "Products" and "About Us" links to the center and remove and excess purple blocks.

When I did find them, I found them clunky with pictures and maybe a little less descriptive of what's happening, take a look at Mig's detailing blog posts on his website, look at the descriptions and see how each post is set out, some pictures aligned left, some right and then finals are all centered.

Some pages are aligned to the left, others are aligned to the center, you want to make sure all pages are in uniform and all match the same.

Once thing I do like is the font one each page such as this -

That's a nice touch, but I seriously don't see your main logo as a company identity.

Also on some pages you have images of text, it's sometimes better to type these and maybe create a DIV for quotes so it shows in a different format so you can instantly tell it's a quote of some sort.

Hope you don't feel I'm being out of order just I'm in that business and do a few corporate identity designs a month so I know how important it all is.

If you need any help then just ask me I will see what I can do ;)

Heres an example of a nice simple dropdown menu -

Simon
ADMIN NOTICE: Please do not use the site for advertising!