Make a donation

Author Topic: Knocking noise........  (Read 2578 times)

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 28
Knocking noise........
« on: November 28, 2011, 05:55:18 pm »
Ok so i've still got a knocking noise on my car when i start it up and drive away, it only lasts for about a hundred yards or so then disappears  :stupid:

So far i've had

- the front control arm rear bushes replaced L & R as the passenger side was split
- New top mounts L & R and replaced a knackered bearing on passenger side

The car is lowered about 40mm on KW V1's and didn't have this knocking with the standard suspension fitted, the suspension has been looked at and there are no visible cracks, leaks or broken seals and every bolt underneath the car has been checked and double checked again......

The knocking is gradually getting worse as a few months ago it would only do it if i left the car over night or after my 8 hour shift at work but now it does it after leaving the car for about 10 minutes.

Just after any advice from anybody whose had this problem themselves or something similar and can suggest something to be looked at and maybe fixed or ruled out, I know Hali on here had a similar problem with AP coilovers fitted on his GTI and the knocking was less if he raised it to stock height and went when he fitted my old standard suspension  :stupid:

Any suggestions welcome as its driving me nuts and costing a fair few quid in trial and error and workshop labour

Thanks
Dave

don1

Re: Knocking noise........
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 06:20:23 pm »
Hi,
As it goes after a few hundred yards, could it be your exhaust?? I have known exhausts to knock when cold, and then go quiet as they warm up.

When they get hot, the metal expands and they can change shape/position slightly.

regards
Don

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 06:32:29 pm »
Thanks for the idea Don  :happy2: but it does it when the cars warm too if i'm filling up at a petrol station for 10 minutes or so the exhaust would still be warm. Plus it didn't knock before the suspension was fitted and had the miltek exhaust on the car before i lowered it  :confused:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 06:34:54 pm by Little_Dave »

Offline adamf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 08:35:18 pm »
could be the anti roll bar links (drop links) the long one from the shock to the anti roll bar?.. only plastic inside the ball joint so a harsher ride could easily break them...

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 09:40:12 pm »
could be the anti roll bar links (drop links) the long one from the shock to the anti roll bar?.. only plastic inside the ball joint so a harsher ride could easily break them...

Thanks Adam i'll get those looked at and see if they are broken or damaged..... Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Dave

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 09:42:34 pm »

There's a thread about a fix to knocking noise.  I think it was posted by Sarah and the fix was subframe bolts or spacers a cheap fix tro a pesky problem

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 09:51:39 pm »

There's a thread about a fix to knocking noise.  I think it was posted by Sarah and the fix was subframe bolts or spacers a cheap fix tro a pesky problem

They checked all the bolts under the car Mike as i suggested that and they were all tight and done up properly.... i read that thread about stretched bolts a while ago but are they actually loose if they are knackered? Can you visually see theres a problem as it all looked fine to us  :confused:

thanks
Dave

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 10:03:30 pm »

They checked all the bolts under the car Mike as i suggested that and they were all tight and done up properly.... i read that thread about stretched bolts a while ago but are they actually loose if they are knackered? Can you visually see theres a problem as it all looked fine to us  :confused:

thanks
Dave

I can't remember exactly mate just seemed a simple fix for an annoying problem.

Hope you get to the bottom of it!

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 10:14:42 pm »
Cheers Mike  :drinking:

You know its gonna be one of those days when the whole garage is standing around scratching thier heads having not heard or seen it before  :sad1:

So far drop links look the next port of call along with double checking the sub frame bolts  :confused: