Make a donation

Author Topic: R.I.P Gary Speed  (Read 2484 times)

PSW

Re: R.I.P Gary Speed
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 08:07:29 pm »
Loved him playing for the toon up there with David batty and Philip Albert as legends at the toon  ---- I'm in total shock RIP

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 12:49:10 pm »
Blades fan... RIP Speedo

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 01:00:23 pm »
Is it just me who doesnt think he deserves all of this? 

ill probably get shot down in flames for this

Yes he had issues, and committed suicide, it is a great shame to his family and a loss to football, but he did it in such a way that his wife and kids got to find him swinging by a rope. 

Thats selfish.  Now his wife and kids have not only got to live with his loss, but also with the image of their husband/dad hanging by the neck.

BTW this is my point of view from experience as i have a family member who tried this WITH his kids many years ago, so i am a bit biased on this

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 01:55:14 pm »
I'm astounded that people are calling Gary Speed (or indeed anyone who commits suicide) selfish. Our society has a long way to go in educating people about mental health.

I'd have thought someone with experience of the situation would be more understanding of it than most to be honest.

P.S I'm sure everyone would prefer it if this thread didn't turn into a debate on suicide.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 01:57:49 pm »
Is it just me who doesnt think he deserves all of this? 

ill probably get shot down in flames for this

Yes he had issues, and committed suicide, it is a great shame to his family and a loss to football, but he did it in such a way that his wife and kids got to find him swinging by a rope. 

Thats selfish.  Now his wife and kids have not only got to live with his loss, but also with the image of their husband/dad hanging by the neck.

BTW this is my point of view from experience as i have a family member who tried this WITH his kids many years ago, so i am a bit biased on this

Well that would sound correct, but your forgetting his state of mind, if your in a place were your going to end your life, then normal comprehension and awareness of your surroundings     disappears. The man was a very professional footballer, a cut above most so it's fair to assume that he would not intend to harm his family. Depression is very complex and not black and white as you would like it to be.  :happy2:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 02:01:11 pm »
^^ Exactly.

You seem to think he was capable of making logical decisions. But depression is a disease that ravages the mind.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 02:57:03 pm »
^^ Exactly.

You seem to think he was capable of making logical decisions. But depression is a disease that ravages the mind.

Sure is a very very close friend of mine hung himself  some years ago and to say it was out of the blue was an understatement as he was such a nice a happy guy with a girlfriend and kid but then one day something must have changed and he hung himself  :sad1: was a very close family friend and and I still miss him to this day  :sad1: .

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box