Make a donation

Author Topic: Octavia VRS or mk5 Gti 5 door  (Read 17996 times)

Offline gazbutS3

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
Re: Octavia VRS or mk5 Gti 5 door
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2011, 06:39:54 pm »
for practicality the VRS will take some beating, I was really impressed with the interior and boot space on Sy's a couple of years ago when we met at ITG. Tried to convince the misses to get one but she was havin non of it and bought a 1 series :stupid:, which although its a nice motor has cost her a fortune in faults

Offline MitchGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2011, 08:32:36 pm »
I had a 2007 s3 2.0tfsi, mapped ect but the gri was so much more fun but hands down the interior in the s3 wins, i no the gti is a awsome car but the vrs looks more practical im guna try and test drive one over the weekend!!

Offline rockape

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2011, 08:39:24 am »
A3 Sline sportback? Smaller practical mini avant!....only downside is they tend to be more pricey in comparison.

"And if you listen carefully, it sounds just like a Golf".........

...only better!  :grin:

Sorry mate couldn't resist that one.

Offline neil86

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2011, 03:35:31 pm »
Me too, I'm surprised more Mk5 GTi owners have not stood up for the best all-round car of the last decade! The one which returned the GTi name back to where it belonged; As a brilliant, useable and practical driver's tool. After the mediocrity of the Mk3 and Mk4, It really was a huge relief to a lot of us that VW returned to form. This is Mk5golfGTi.co.uk, after all!

I am thrilled with mine, it puts a smile on my face every time I look at it, drive it, or think about driving it! I'd never buy a Skoda, Seat, or Audi equivalent. The advert sums it all up for me: "And if you listen carefully, it sounds just like a Golf".........

I am not saying they dont drive fantastically just the build qaulity just isnt there for what your paying over the odds compared to vauxhall saab ford etc

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2011, 05:48:30 pm »

I am not saying they dont drive fantastically just the build qaulity just isnt there for what your paying over the odds compared to vauxhall saab ford etc
[/quote]

Vauxhall VXR's are all about power, and are too crudely engineered to keep it down on the road, Saab are history, and Fords drive brilliantly (well they did until Rick Parry-Jones retired) but are well below par in terms of quality.

I do agree with you when you start getting above the GTi however. The ED35 and R are far too expensive from new. by the time you spec them up you're in 1 year old Cayman & Boxster territory. I know where I'd put my 35K then! (if I had it!!)  :signLOL:

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2011, 06:33:19 pm »

Vauxhall VXR's are all about power, and are too crudely engineered to keep it down on the road, Saab are history, and Fords drive brilliantly (well they did until Rick Parry-Jones retired) but are well below par in terms of quality.

I do agree with you when you start getting above the GTi however. The ED35 and R are far too expensive from new. by the time you spec them up you're in 1 year old Cayman & Boxster territory. I know where I'd put my 35K then! (if I had it!!)  :signLOL:

I'd have an R over a Cockster any day!  :laugh:

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2011, 06:42:47 pm »
R Over a boxster? Yeah probably, but over a Cayman R? Probably not if I'm honest.

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline micky 32

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2011, 08:06:00 pm »
Maybe the Skoda's don't have the little finishing touches like the higher end VW's etc but the Octavia is a well built car, built like tanks. Reminds me of the old Vento's how solid they were..
2008 Octavia vRS K04'd , Forge twintercooler, Evoms, Autotech uprated pump, full Milltek exhaust 324bhp on JKM's rollers ;-)

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2011, 08:13:23 pm »
Maybe the Skoda's don't have the little finishing touches like the higher end VW's etc but the Octavia is a well built car, built like tanks. Reminds me of the old Vento's how solid they were..

Even better with a K04....... :notworthy:

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2011, 10:45:34 pm »
Which reminds me I really must get the rest of my parts ordered  :party:
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2011, 10:00:08 am »
Which reminds me I really must get the rest of my parts ordered  :party:

:popcornsoda:

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2011, 10:10:01 am »
Having had both, I would say Mk5 Gti... I found it alot more "boaty"handling wise... Sure the boot is bigger(huge infact), but I bought one when expecting our first child, thinking sporty and practical... wasn't impressed so traded in for an Mk5 R32... which was awesome and still big enough to fit a travel system(huge) pushchair in, and had all the space practicality required(even with the smaller raise floored boot)... Alos did a trip to southampton and brought back tons of boxes full of nursery furniture/cot etc...

Perfect all round family car... :happy2:
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2011, 10:14:06 am »
Having had both, I would say Mk5 Gti... I found it alot more "boaty"handling wise... Sure the boot is bigger(huge infact), but I bought one when expecting our first child, thinking sporty and practical... wasn't impressed so traded in for an Mk5 R32... which was awesome and still big enough to fit a travel system(huge) pushchair in, and had all the space practicality required(even with the smaller raise floored boot)... Alos did a trip to southampton and brought back tons of boxes full of nursery furniture/cot etc...

Perfect all round family car... :happy2:

I have to agree with the handling, swmbo's GT on OE suspension handles far better than my vRS on -30mm springs, but I do think if it had uprated dampers it would be better....the HUGE ar5e doesn't help though!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2011, 11:42:40 am »
KW V1's ftw on the vRS  :wink:

Offline E30Dom