Make a donation

Author Topic: GTI running badly  (Read 2429 times)

Offline pbc88

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
GTI running badly
« on: November 30, 2011, 06:13:35 pm »
Ok so on my way to work this morning the car started going really badly and seemed to lose power. The engine management light then came on and was flashing. As I was literally in the car park when this happened I parked up and switched it off. Now a guy I work with has vagcom and after work he plugged it in and the faults that came up were:

Rear heater core temp sensor (G154)
Coolant temp. sensor at engine outlet (G82)

The car was now running fine with no engine management light. I was then driving for about 5 minutes when the car started almost chugging when I went to accelerate. To me it seemed like a misfire. So once again vagcom was plugged in and nothing different came up. Car is now running 100% with no problems. I will go out later for another drive when the engine is cold.
So has anybody experienced this before and are the fault codes above the problem? I should add that the only modification is a forge spacer.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Regards, Philip

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: GTI running badly
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 10:28:54 pm »
Sounds like possible coilpacks. They often dont log faults, they do normally deteriorate though, have you checked with the dealer to see if you are eligible for the recall/upgrade.  :happy2:

Offline pbc88

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 10:33:13 pm »
No I havent checked yet. Will do tomorrow.
My initial thought had been coilpacks. Just was unsure why vagcom would show up the two faults I stated above?
Thanks for the help.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 10:35:57 pm »
I changed my rear lights and the code list was longer than a chimps arm and my car was brand new.  :laugh: 99% of the codes listed wont show up again once cleared.  :happy2:

Offline pbc88

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 10:50:52 pm »
The engine management light did come on a few times but was off again before I got a chance to get it checked with vagcom. I only have the car a month so hoping its nothing too serious!

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 07:06:03 pm »
The engine management light did come on a few times but was off again before I got a chance to get it checked with vagcom. I only have the car a month so hoping its nothing too serious!

If the light came on then a fault code should be stored in the ecu.  :smiley:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline pbc88

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 07:22:07 pm »

If the light came on then a fault code should be stored in the ecu.  :smiley:

Should it? It was a mate who plugged in the vagcom but the codes above was the only thing that came up?
So I rang VW today and they are going to replace the coilpacks under recall. Hopefully this sorts the problem. Although they cant do the work for 2 weeks and the car has ran perfectly today.  :confused: