Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG economy  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Jussa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
DSG economy
« on: December 01, 2011, 09:17:54 am »
Can anybody tell me whether it makes any difference to the fuel economy if you change it from automatic to manual?  :confused:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
Re: DSG economy
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 09:23:15 am »
I cant say for sure but I think it would as the ecu in auto shifts up to next gear quite quickly at low revs whereas your more likely to hold the gear longer (using more fuel).

MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 09:56:21 am »
It adapts to however you drive, so if you red line it in M-mode all the time  then it will change later up the range in D- mode. In the real world though the DSG doesn't account for hills and slight gradients as well as a human and changes up a bit to early for the optimum fuel save. If you try and drive as efficiently as you can, it is quite easy to better the DSG MPH but not by much.  :happy2:

Offline Andy_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 03:02:30 pm »
Ill get between 32-35mpg leaving it in auto on my commute. However if i try and can easily get 35-37mpg in manual. For example doing 30mph my car shifts regularly between 4th and 5th, sticking it in 5th in manual uses less fuel for me anyway!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 03:21:47 pm »
My car at 30mph stays in 5th and as soon as i get to 38mph it shifts into 6th and stays there unless i gas it or go slower than 35mph.
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 08:06:38 pm »
Wow, I'm impressed  :signLOL: u guys know exactly what your DSG does to within a single mph  :driver:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline laserblue999

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 08:57:23 pm »
I have to say I've noticed a difference if I make the decisions rather than the auto. I seem to get more MPG in manual mode as at times when dealing with urban hills the gearbox can't decide which gear it prefers as the gradient changes. Not having had any kind of auto before, I found this disconcerting as the revs were going up and down.

I found I've had to get used to the low MPG coming from an old diesel T3 campervan! My commute is a 13 mile mix of urban and 40mph A roads. My MPG varies between 26 and 33 MPG generally but was defo lower in Auto mode.

There is of course the "can't-resist-putting-my-foot-down-in-novelty-new-fast-car-mode" which completely wrecks everything!! :laugh:

'05 GTI - laser blue, 5dr, DSG, blue glass, heated leather, highline, cruise, sat nav, 10 speaker stereo,MFSW, xenons, 18" Monza, puddle lights, Ipod, retractable mirrors, factory tints, winter/summer mats, bootmat, luggage net, mudflaps, tailored blinds, x-tec plate leds - always looking for more OEM options.......pretending the pikey paddles are OEM+!!

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 09:01:39 am »
What's the difference then between the old DSG (MK5) and the new DSG (MK6) box?  :confused: