Make a donation

Author Topic: Website Design...  (Read 760 times)

Offline keano

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
Website Design...
« on: December 01, 2011, 07:11:00 pm »
Evening all,

I'm at the stage where I'm wanting to put a website together to start getting my name out there.

I've been looking at the 'DIY, design your own' packages such as the ones that 123-reg.co.uk offer and I've also looked into having a designer do it for me, from the likes of Webbranding.co.uk & printing.com.

Does anyone have any advice or experience in this?

All the best,

Nick

Offline GTiBEER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
  • Golf Loving Mo Fo
Re: Website Design...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 07:34:42 pm »
Hi Keano,

I am a graphic/web designer by trade, if you want to pick my brains or get a quote let me know.

James

Offline joeya

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 07:35:51 pm »
Hey, I'm pretty handy when it comes to graphic design and websites. Not a huge tech guy when it comes to coding sites but I know whats possible and how to get things done.

What sort of site you looking for? Blog? Online Shop? Just a few static pages?

Also don't use sites like Webbranding.co.uk lol if they cant make themselves a decent site it doesn't say much about there skills.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 07:37:30 pm by joeya »

Offline W8 Performance

• Trader - 2014
  • Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 07:37:10 pm »
I got the domain from 123 reg and my friend has set me up on a magento skinned page. Lots more I need to do but it looks good for now. I am not particularly clued up on web design so getting someone else to do it is a lot easier. I have some admin control to change smaller bits.

Don't forget to put it up on google, bing and yahoo for search engine optimisation or whatever it is!

I think magento do free sites too, but the hosting is something you need to look at.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 08:00:01 pm »
The problem with low-cost solutions from the likes of printing.com is that you get an off-the-shelf product that does nothing to differentiate yourself from the competition. You need to decide what sort of person you want to appeal to, and build a brand and site for them. Consumers need a point of difference, a reason to choose you over every other company doing the same thing. That might be that you offer the lowest prices with the fastest turnaround times, or it might be that you aim at a more affluent audience where money is secondary, but quality of product and customer service is paramount. Each would have a completely different approach.

My money would be with a good freelance designer, BUT make sure your brief is concise.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 08:34:20 pm »
I can highly reccomend webbranding.co.uk for anything you need, have worked with them for years and cant fault any aspect of their service.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 10:45:12 pm »

Offline Betty02

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 11
    • iBett
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 08:15:47 am »
Think theres a few of us designers on here (me included) I'm looking to leave my job and go full time very soon.

Personally a fully custom website in my eyes looks a hell of a lot more professional then the usual easy site builders.

This will give you a better image when customers come to your website, I do a lot of graphic designs in the corporate identity category. This is probably my biggest line of income currently. I usually do packages for a full vector logo/typeface, with business cards, headed papaer then things can also be added to that too, such as stationary, websites, flyers and all that jazz - It maybe worth getting a nice logo/typeface made up and then surround your website around the design of that?

Any more info need just AAsk ;)
ADMIN NOTICE: Please do not use the site for advertising!