Make a donation

Author Topic: Audi S3 - What to look for...  (Read 2124 times)

Offline RagingKileak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
Audi S3 - What to look for...
« on: December 01, 2011, 11:11:20 pm »
Hello all,

Just a quick one really... I'm considering purchasing an Audi S3 and moving what parts I can over from the Golf. The mileage is really getting on so I'm looking at 2009 S3's with about 10-20k on the clock.

My only must have options are Nav and S-Tronic and I wondered if there is anything else I would regret not having... No xenons for example, or similar...

Any help appreciated around anything else... Eg I read that the S-Tronic can't be mapped like DSG but it seems it can... I'm guessing remap, fuel pump and ITG fit meant will be possible or similar... Milltek similar... Suspension? WALK?

Also if I DIDN'T get a car with nav, is the RNS510-E as easy to retrofit as the VW equivalents?

Thanks
Matt

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Re: Audi S3 - What to look for...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 11:58:17 pm »
Hello all,

Just a quick one really... I'm considering purchasing an Audi S3 and moving what parts I can over from the Golf. The mileage is really getting on so I'm looking at 2009 S3's with about 10-20k on the clock.

My only must have options are Nav and S-Tronic and I wondered if there is anything else I would regret not having... No xenons for example, or similar...

Any help appreciated around anything else... Eg I read that the S-Tronic can't be mapped like DSG but it seems it can... I'm guessing remap, fuel pump and ITG fit meant will be possible or similar... Milltek similar... Suspension? WALK?

Also if I DIDN'T get a car with nav, is the RNS510-E as easy to retrofit as the VW equivalents?

Thanks
Matt

Can't offer much here, but no worries re. the Xenons mate as all the S3's have have always had Xenon headlights, right back to the 8L (old shape MK1 S3), 8P and facelift 8P2's which have the in built DRL's too both on the sportbacks and hatchbacks  :happy2:

Don't expect much from the RNS-E btw, I've had it on good accounts that the RNS510 is superior to the RNS-E in nearly every way, although it's not a bad bit of kit by any means at the same time.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 12:00:20 am by rdfcpete »
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 02:48:01 pm »
 most of the tuning goodies are the same as the Ed30, on the Milltek the downpipe is the same but catback different. Think the foam heatshield will be different from the Golf you maybe able to trim to fit or get a replacement from andy at ITG. Suspension is different.

the 510 is retro fit, but like pete has said it isn't touch screen etc, but is still a good bit of kit. Flat bottom steering wheel is std on the facelift S3's so thats an option you don't have to worry about and xenons are on all S3's as pete has also said.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 07:05:35 pm »
 :happy2:

Matt - Someone like Gaz is your man as he's owned both.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline RagingKileak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 09:59:12 pm »
Thanks gents.

Car I fancied has had a deposit placed but finance has fallen through. Will be tough to barter I think so might not happen, but thanks for the ideas.

It sounds like I will have the S3 cooler, brakes, Milly and suspension to sell which will be a nice boost towards mapping and setting up the S3, should I go for it! Cool beans.

Thanks all.

Regards
Matt

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 11:27:37 pm »
The s-tronic is what Audi call dsg.  Sounds posher.  The gearbox ecu is security locked which is why it can't currently be mapped.

We have just bought an s3 for a development car to turn into an endurance race car for next year.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 08:39:39 am »
I had a brand new manual 3 door back in 2008, with a stage 2 map - very quick car. Go for it, they are an awesome car. In fact my wife liked it so much, I'm going to get her another one next year, ths time a 5 door dsg Sportback.
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 11:05:19 am »
Had a stage 2+ S3 S-Tronic before my TT

Awesome bit of kit and properly quick! The gearbox on mine behaved extremely well, even if it could have been mapped I wouldn't have bothered. The RNS-E is proper pants IMO, doesn't come close to the RNS! I wouldn't let it sway your decision at all!

Go for it mate  :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 11:11:54 am »
the latest version of RNS-E is a lot better than the previous version, but it's still not as good as RNS-510.

the 8P is a nice little car. i wouldn't have owned 2 in a row if it wasn't. but at this stage in the model cycle it's hard to recommend one over a Mk6 or over holding out for the new car that should be out within a year. in isolation it's a very good car though.

only real thing to look out for is that the engine has been properly maintained and that the air con works. i've not had any significant problems with my early 2005/54 1.6 or my 2006/55 2.0T other than standard 2.0T gripes.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 12:29:47 pm by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 11:28:05 am »
the latest version of RNS-E is a lot better than the previous version, but it's still not as good as RNS-E.

Got the newest version in mine and that's crap, the old ones must be horrific!
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 12:09:53 pm »
the latest version of RNS-E is a lot better than the previous version, but it's still not as good as RNS-E.

Edit required mefinks...  :smiley:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 12:30:00 pm »

Edit required mefinks...  :smiley:

done lol
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 12:35:30 pm »
Just sold my stage 2+ GTi and bought a 2010 S3 4 days ago.  What a car!!!!  :pomppomp:
The s-tronic is phenomenal and would deffo recommend it.  Apparently it works a lot better than the old DSG box, I've spoken to people that have driven both.  I waited to find a fully loaded example which are hard to come by, the only thing she doesn't have is the tyre pressure monitor.  Coming from a fully loaded GTi I couldn't warrant spending twice the amount of money and not even getting auto lights and rain sensing wipers  :confused:
Makes you think what the hell was going through the buyers head when speccing up the car, I mean if you're going to spend close on 40K for a new car what's an extra £200 for the comfort pack  :stupid:
Going down to Awesome next week to go straight to stage 2+ can't wait  :drool:
Big thanks to GazbutS3 for assisting me on my wheel spacer questions  :congrats:
Gaz, I'll call u later mate  :happy2:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 03:17:18 pm »
The S-tronic is the same as DSG, just a different name........
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 05:32:16 pm »
If it was the same then why can't Revo crack it's code?
I know somebody that works for Audi and he says the newer box is a lot smoother???  :confused:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection