Make a donation

Author Topic: Coilover Stance  (Read 8781 times)

Offline Bikerz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Coilover Stance
« on: December 02, 2011, 01:59:54 pm »
This is a daily - Point 1
I cant warrant (afford) air - Point 2

:signLOL:

Right now that's the facts dealt with I would like some advice. Im probably going to go for 17's and Ideally id like some 9.5" x 17" Rota GTR's.

1. Can you run 9.5" on front?
2. When going low on front how much camber comes in? Should I budget for some adjustable top mounts to get camber back in on the front?  I don't want stupid camber
3. When going low on rear how much camber comes in? Should I budget for some control arms on the rear? I don't want stupid camber
4. What sort of ET's should I be looking at on 7.5", 8", 8.5", 9", 9.5", 10" ?
5. Pics with setups please COIL OVERS ONLY- Wheel specs with tyres etc...

Thank You

Offline higher1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Re: Coilover Stance
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 03:22:48 pm »
From what ive read on loads of forums running a 9" on the front is close let alone a 9.5" as you need a low et to clear the front shock/caliper, this will then cause you problems with wheel arch clearance.

i run a 8.5x18 et 40 front and it pokes with not much clearance to caliper, and a 9.5x18 et 45 rear with a couple of mil clearance of the rear shock dust cover, this pokes more than the front.

the rear is camber adjustable without buying anything top link adjusts the camber.

if you dont want to run stupid camber maybe a less aggresive set up is for you hope this helps
Ah-exclusive custom ultra low H&R Coilovers 110mm, ITG induction kit, 18" super RS's, USA rear bumper, USA front grille with smooth number plate surround,recaro bucket seats. now sold !

mk1 golf 1.8 20v turbo

Offline Bikerz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 04:31:18 pm »
What tyres are you running? Any pics? I presume you poke is legal?
How much clearance have you got inside or couldn't you say? You on coil overs? Brand?

Offline higher1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 09:12:54 am »
What tyres are you running? Any pics? I presume you poke is legal?
How much clearance have you got inside or couldn't you say? You on coil overs? Brand?

Tyres are 215/3518 fronts and 225/35/18 rears im only running lowering springs at the moment eibach sportslines so no where near low enough! as soon as money allows im fitting some nice coilovers, clearance is about 5 mm cant check as my winter wheels are back on  :sad1:

Ah-exclusive custom ultra low H&R Coilovers 110mm, ITG induction kit, 18" super RS's, USA rear bumper, USA front grille with smooth number plate surround,recaro bucket seats. now sold !

mk1 golf 1.8 20v turbo

Offline neil86

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 03:43:56 pm »
Are they the vintage wheel, just i thought they where 8 front, 9 rear and et35 allround. Just thats what i was told when looking at buying some????

Offline higher1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 06:53:59 pm »
Are they the vintage wheel, just i thought they where 8 front, 9 rear and et35 allround. Just thats what i was told when looking at buying some????
No there not vintage but autodesign rs reps

mk1 golf 1.8 20v turbo

Offline craig_t

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 1
  • Craig
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 06:58:21 pm »

Ap coilovers wound all the way down.
5mm rear spacers.
225/40/18 rear  215/35/18 front.
Done
Admin notice, sig pic removed for being to big.

Offline neil86

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 12:43:13 pm »
well they look smart mate the rs reps, would love some just dont think i could get away with that much poke 8 front 9 rear would be better for me but thanks for the info.

Does going from 40 to 35 profile cause any speedo problems or catching when lowered ie the sump lower due to smaller profile.

Offline higher1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 06:50:30 pm »
well they look smart mate the rs reps, would love some just dont think i could get away with that much poke 8 front 9 rear would be better for me but thanks for the info.

Does going from 40 to 35 profile cause any speedo problems or catching when lowered ie the sump lower due to smaller profile.

Hi the car is no where near low enough for the sump to hit even the splitter isn't low enough as for the speedo it prob does make a small difference nothing I've noticed, there's prob someone on here that could tell you the difference in rolling radius etc

mk1 golf 1.8 20v turbo

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 07:11:09 pm »

To give you some idea of how it'll look this is mine with 8/9 vintage wheels on

May be changing wheels tho  :wink: as i can't fit my R32 front brakes under them cos of the low 35 offset  :confused:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 07:13:14 pm by Little_Dave »

Offline neil86

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 09:25:34 pm »
wouldnt the 35 offset be better for clearance, if you went higher the wheel would stick in more.

Love the look though, did they rub much?

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 10:45:26 pm »
Running 215 tires all round with a 40mm drop and no rubbing at all, only the worst speed humps catch the plastic/metal undertray wings and when cornering hard a bit of arch rub but got ARB's on the way to help a bit with that  :happy2: Only problem is with the offset being 35 it's too low to upgrade to the R32 brakes i've just got which need atleast 45 or above for clearance of the caliper  :sad1:

Offline neil86

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 08:38:40 am »
Running 215 tires all round with a 40mm drop and no rubbing at all, only the worst speed humps catch the plastic/metal undertray wings and when cornering hard a bit of arch rub but got ARB's on the way to help a bit with that  :happy2: Only problem is with the offset being 35 it's too low to upgrade to the R32 brakes i've just got which need atleast 45 or above for clearance of the caliper  :sad1:

45 offset is going to make the wheel go closer to the caliper mate?

it might be just the deep dish desighn of the wheel making the spokes closer to the caliper.

Offline jimojameso

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 12:44:58 pm »
Dave the wheels loook awesome!!  :driver:

Which company did you get them from?
2010 Audi TT RS - Sepang Blue - 420BHP, 600NM

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 05:32:42 pm »

45 offset is going to make the wheel go closer to the caliper mate?

it might be just the deep dish desighn of the wheel making the spokes closer to the caliper.

Was told its the opposite and that the bigger the offset the more room between the wheel face and calipers which would make sense as the standard 17" monza's fit over the R32 brakes and they have an offset of around 51  :laugh: but yeah the deep dish design makes it worse as the spokes curve in the closer you get to the rim

Dave the wheels loook awesome!!  :driver:

Which company did you get them from?

Got them from a company called R-Tec in St.Albans back in may  :happy2: