Make a donation

Author Topic: For those who want fogs as drl's........  (Read 17118 times)

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
Re: For those who want fogs as drl's........
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2011, 09:40:34 pm »
This is not good news............. :fighting:
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

Tomorrow i should be getting the christmas decorations out of the garage and putting them up (Hey I've got a 9 yr. old)

However, this forum is going to get me in trouble (again!) because I've got to sneak my laptop and Vag-com lead out to the garage and have a play around with this idea to see if i like the overall look

Good find.........just don't tell Robin!!!

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline vwrascal

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 28
  • If it aint rubbin you aint dubbin
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 09:45:13 pm »
This is not good news............. :fighting:
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

Tomorrow i should be getting the christmas decorations out of the garage and putting them up (Hey I've got a 9 yr. old)

However, this forum is going to get me in trouble (again!) because I've got to sneak my laptop and Vag-com lead out to the garage and have a play around with this idea to see if i like the overall look

Good find.........just don't tell Robin!!!

:grin: 

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 09:53:49 pm »
That's one of the reasons why this forums is one of the best and worst I use lol. Great for info and ideas....but the worst for ideas that cost money I don't have makes the wish list even longer  :laugh:

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2011, 03:44:36 pm »
That's one of the reasons why this forums is one of the best and worst I use lol. Great for info and ideas....but the worst for ideas that cost money I don't have makes the wish list even longer  :laugh:

+1 on the above, my bank account is raped far to often now :ashamed:
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline SKAVIA

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 9
    • Build thread
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2011, 03:46:25 pm »
Yet another reason to get front fog wiring and a 30 byte cecm, I want this great tip on how to do it mate

only 21 byte cent elec controller needed as using bytes 11 & 17  :happy2:
I've followed the instructions to the letter but it didn't work for me  :ashamed:
I've got the 23 byte controller.
Do I need to do anything else? Should the lights just come on after I exit from VCDS or when I click click on Do it?
I went back in and checked the setings and they had saved so not sure why it doesnt work :ashamed:  :confused:

Offline vwrascal

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 28
  • If it aint rubbin you aint dubbin
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2011, 05:09:29 pm »
t
Yet another reason to get front fog wiring and a 30 byte cecm, I want this great tip on how to do it mate

only 21 byte cent elec controller needed as using bytes 11 & 17  :happy2:
I've followed the instructions to the letter but it didn't work for me  :ashamed:
I've got the 23 byte controller.
Do I need to do anything else? Should the lights just come on after I exit from VCDS or when I click click on Do it?
I went back in and checked the setings and they had saved so not sure why it doesnt work :ashamed:  :confused:

they should work as soon as you press "do it"
once you have set the dimming in byte 11, scroll to next byte, then back again to make sure the value you entered is still there, then exit and "do it"

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2011, 05:12:03 pm »
Skavia we tried to do Pauls(PSW) this morning but no joy either, he has the 30byte 3C0-AJ controller also tried putting the cornering fogs on but no joy there either.

Also tried locking the car up for 30 seconds and locking with drivers key lock but nothing.

Darren

Offline SKAVIA

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 9
    • Build thread
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2011, 05:51:15 pm »
Thanks Morty/Rascal.
Please let me know if you can work out why it doesn't work work as I really want this mod  :party:
I saw a couple of settings about USA and Swedish DRLs, but I'm guessing this will just set the headlights/indicators on all the time which I don't want!

Offline Lee01

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2011, 06:10:21 pm »
Does anyone know if it is possible to active the mainbeam or highbeam lights as DRL's again just set at 10% power? i.e. MK6 look

I personally think this would look much better than fog lights.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2011, 06:23:18 pm »
Does anyone know if it is possible to active the mainbeam or highbeam lights as DRL's again just set at 10% power? i.e. MK6 look

It's certainly not easy to do mate and I've not seen it done with VCDS or anything similar on a MK5.

I have seen it done on a Mk4 .:R32 - the guy used some kind of BMW headlight component which ran the high beam bulbs at 50% of their brightness. I don't know what the legalities are around it and whether it would pass an MOT. How likely it is you can do the same to a MK5 and what you'd need and need to do however, I've no idea either...

That's a look I've wanted for a long time but after all my research, it didn't look a feasible option unfortunately fella  :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Lee01

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2011, 06:36:04 pm »

It's certainly not easy to do mate and I've not seen it done with VCDS or anything similar on a MK5.

I have seen it done on a Mk4 .:R32 - the guy used some kind of BMW headlight component which ran the high beam bulbs at 50% of their brightness. I don't know what the legalities are around it and whether it would pass an MOT. How likely it is you can do the same to a MK5 and what you'd need and need to do however, I've no idea either...

That's a look I've wanted for a long time but after all my research, it didn't look a feasible option unfortunately fella  :happy2:

Thats a real shame. Like you I want to retain the OE look.

Oh well.....

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9f89bqagtr5vi5gingnl14ut0n&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2011, 11:13:43 am »

...or just put your sidelights on?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2011, 12:24:29 pm »

Impressive stuff, but you're just going to look like the idiot who is driving around with his fogs lights on...

Anyone who's knows there stuff will realise they are DRL's as fogs only work when the lights are on......  :driver:

....Exactly!!  :happy2:

I've got the real thing:  http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1917.0.html   :P  8)  :P

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2011, 12:27:04 pm »

....Those are the worst kind of DRL in my opinion. You need the intensity of LEDs. Proper DRLs are LED.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2011, 12:51:45 pm »
The new passat and none gti polo use the standard fogs that are dimmed :happy2:

I thought this would be ideal for your use Robin, has you could actual strip the Hella wiring out and use the standard car loom for your DRL leds :happy2:

Darren