Make a donation

Author Topic: For those who want fogs as drl's........  (Read 17124 times)

Offline gazon69

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
Re: For those who want fogs as drl's........
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2011, 05:16:31 pm »
Personal preference thats all.

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2011, 05:39:28 pm »

I find switching my headlights on works just fine  :wink:

....That's just the point - It absolutely is NOT fine! Headlights are not a passive light whereas purpose-made LED DRLs are a passive light and hence a proper DRL by definition. But this is a debate/argument which can run on and on and on and on and on....................
DRL's (or Daytime Running Lights) have been in use in Scandinavia since the early 70's. Long before the LED technology became suitable for automotive use. It's a relatively new technology in the DRL business, so to say that LEDs are the only proper DRL is just not correct.
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2011, 06:43:55 pm »
Well said above, I work for Volvo and drl are part of everyday life

That said I do like the fogs as drl's and I'm in my mid 30's
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2011, 08:01:06 pm »

I find switching my headlights on works just fine  :wink:

....That's just the point - It absolutely is NOT fine! Headlights are not a passive light whereas purpose-made LED DRLs are a passive light and hence a proper DRL by definition. But this is a debate/argument which can run on and on and on and on and on....................

DRL's (or Daytime Running Lights) have been in use in Scandinavia since the early 70's. Long before the LED technology became suitable for automotive use. It's a relatively new technology in the DRL business, so to say that LEDs are the only proper DRL is just not correct.

+1 DRLs are not bulb-type dependent.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2011, 08:42:59 pm »
What constitutes a DRL has been argued about for over 10 years. Scandinavia has been and possibly continues to be (I don't know for certain) anti the non-Volvo forms of DRL, preferring the headlight version.

What I'm referring to is those European regulations which define that to be called a Daytime Running Light the light must be passive, which LEDs are and headlamps aren't. I'm excluding headlights which may use a new LED technology and obviously cannot be passive. The main reason that the regulations have taken so long to be formed is all the argument and inability for various countries and motoring organisations to agree. The disagreement continues!

i have read literally hundreds of pages of various international studies and commissioned reports. As Hella Deutschland supplied me my DRLs I was keen to establish they would not get me into trouble here in the UK and they haven't. As someone posted earlier, anyone who knows their stuff can easily recognise the difference between a foglight and a DRL. If someone thinks a foglight is a DRL they are plain ignorant.

I understand that the UK proposed that foglights be allowed as DRLs in an interim period, which kind of contradicts the existing use of fogs rules/legislation. But I don't follow all this stuff anymore as I don't need to and have better things to do.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2011, 08:57:04 pm »

If someone thinks a foglight is a DRL they are plain ignorant.

Get real Robin. I'm pretty certain a huge number of road users don't even know what DRLs are, yet alone how to distinguish them from fog lights. That doesn't make them plain ignorant as you have so eloquently put it.

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2011, 09:26:32 pm »
What constitutes a DRL has been argued about for over 10 years. Scandinavia has been and possibly continues to be (I don't know for certain) anti the non-Volvo forms of DRL, preferring the headlight version.

What I'm referring to is those European regulations which define that to be called a Daytime Running Light the light must be passive, which LEDs are and headlamps aren't. I'm excluding headlights which may use a new LED technology and obviously cannot be passive. The main reason that the regulations have taken so long to be formed is all the argument and inability for various countries and motoring organisations to agree. The disagreement continues!<snip>

So the argument about DRLs started long before LED technology was even considered for automotive use? Yet you're adamant that LEDs are the "proper" DRLs and everything else is fail?

Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2011, 12:05:31 am »
^^^^
I think I got it wrong about the 10 years - It's certainly a few years.  :ashamed:

I'm adamant that LEDs fulfil the functional requirements of DRLs far better and are both the most recommended and most desirable solution.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2011, 12:10:03 am »

If someone thinks a foglight is a DRL they are plain ignorant.

Get real Robin. I'm pretty certain a huge number of road users don't even know what DRLs are, yet alone how to distinguish them from fog lights. That doesn't make them plain ignorant as you have so eloquently put it.

....If someone can't tell the difference between a LED DRL and a foglight then they certainly are ignorant of the differences, otherwise they could tell them apart couldn't they. Some people are ignorant of what even a DRL is.

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2011, 12:22:13 am »
^^^^
I think I got it wrong about the 10 years - It's certainly a few years.  :ashamed:

I'm adamant that LEDs fulfil the functional requirements of DRLs far better and are both the most recommended and most desirable solution.

hmm does that mean the 10 plate Volvo XC90 that i had to replace the DRL BULB on today is infact not up to the job?
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2011, 01:33:08 am »
***STOP IT***

yesterdays standard will always come leaps and bounds todays standards are now LED can we now finish this debate and agree to disagree, VWRascal found a good solution for people wanting a work around for drl's

Thank you mr rascal

Darren

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2011, 12:35:20 pm »
 :popcornsoda:

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2011, 12:40:39 pm »
 :congrats:

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2011, 12:48:09 pm »
What's wrong with just having your headlights on?

Offline marcus

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2011, 12:55:29 pm »
What's wrong with just having your headlights on?

Exactly  :notworthy:

Take the DRLs on a Citroen DS4, they're so bright you'd think that the driver had their main beams on  :mad:

I leave my lights on the auto setting, and they work perfectly when required - sunset/dusk/fog.  If I feel I need to be seen better, in a built up area for e.g., I switch on my headlights.  They are Xenons, so are nice and bright  :happy2:
2006 2.0T 5 door GTi
Silver, Xenons, Heated Seats, Cruise, MFSW, 18" Monzas, Lux Pack.