Make a donation

Author Topic: NGK Iridiums BKR8EIX ***12k mile update on page 13***  (Read 100868 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: NGK Iridiums BKR8EIX
« Reply #135 on: July 04, 2012, 02:23:52 pm »
I know that I have advised this before, and probably already in this thread, but I believe it's very good advice to change plugs every 20k miles on a remapped car, regardless of which plugs they are - It maintains a consistent spark and helps keeps things running smoothly.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #136 on: July 04, 2012, 02:33:19 pm »
would you also advise changing stock plugs to ?????? when going from stock map to a Stage 2 (for example)? In other words, i've had my stock plugs now for about 18mths, but only had remap for a few weeks.... :confused:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2012, 02:51:10 pm »
Although VW don't suggest such a regular change of plugs, I still think it's a good idea. Afterall, VW are not writing their Handbook recommendations for anything other than their ex-factory cars.

As you are now running with a remap and it's also been 18 months (depending on your mileage) I would change plugs. I'm not suggesting that you'll get problems if you don't but only that's it's good maintenance on a tuned 2.0T FSI car.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2012, 02:59:31 pm »
well at idle its quite jittery now, since the remap i mean, like it's coughing (from the exhaust), although of course this could be to do with fuelling!!??

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2012, 03:05:36 pm »

well at idle its quite jittery now, since the remap i mean, like it's coughing (from the exhaust), although of course this could be to do with fuelling!!??

....First and easy port of call is to change the plugs (I'm assuming from your earlier post that you haven't recently done so).

Fuelling issues usually only manifest themselves when the throttle is under load and the fuel pump is gasping a bit. The ECU does quite a bit to to automatically correct this but it's why you can get fuel cuts and it's why remapped folks usually upgrade their HPFP.

Modding is a slippery slope. You might have found the slope less steep if you had upgraded via Stage 1 instead of straight to Stage 2.

Which air intake are you using?

Someone with VCDS can probably diagnose issues for you.

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2012, 03:33:08 pm »
had the plugs changed about 18mths ago (whilst on stock map), so i am assuming with your bog standard Golf plugs, then had Bluefin Stage 1 a few mths later, so that's why i decided to go straight to a custom Stage 2 remap with R Tech a few weeks ago, after returning to stock map of course! Don't get me wrong now, the difference is like chalk and cheese in terms of 'poke' and torque, it's just the spluttering (when idle) i get through the car/exhaust now that's making me ask questions!? I have a Twintake, you responded to me about this on a different thread about 15 min ago, lol!  :drinking:

I am going back to see Nick in a few weeks, but in the meantime he has advised that i change the N75 (see whether i can attain more than the 256bph i now apparently have!?)

Andrew

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #141 on: July 04, 2012, 03:50:22 pm »
Hi Andrew  :smiley:

R-Tech Nick is an expert - You are in good hands  :happy2:

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #142 on: July 04, 2012, 03:52:23 pm »
Yeap, sure am! Hearing mixed reviews about the iridium plugs, so confused!!  :confused:

Saintsteve

« Reply #143 on: July 04, 2012, 04:29:05 pm »
would you also advise changing stock plugs to ?????? when going from stock map to a Stage 2 (for example)? In other words, i've had my stock plugs now for about 18mths, but only had remap for a few weeks.... :confused:

If it ain't broke...don't fix it...  :smiley:

leave them as they are chap. nothing wrong using Bosch products IMO.

I've tried NGK and found them worse, but that was the 8 heat rating and not the 7 stock rating.

I would only put cooler plugs in if your running higher fuel pressures. Revo Stage 2 and 2+onwards .

bluefin 1 and stage 2 on the 7's.

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #144 on: July 04, 2012, 06:22:33 pm »
Well I now have an R Tech custom remap Stage 2, and tbh I have no idea wat type plugs I currently have, as the car was serviced with Kwikfit (oops!!!) I am waiting on them to get bak 2 me to tell me what type plugs they 'allegedly' fitted, then base my next move on that! :$

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #145 on: July 04, 2012, 08:25:02 pm »
^^^^
Andrew,

Take Nick @ R-Tech's advice about plugs - He knows your individual car and he knows his stuff  :happy2:

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #146 on: July 04, 2012, 08:35:12 pm »
Will do Robin, although he is only advising me 2 change the N75 and the fan, etc, its my choice for the plugs.

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2012, 11:50:23 pm »
Found out the other day that i had 6s in my car, so as now at R Tech Stage 2, changing to Iridium 7s (NGKBKR7EIX) tomorrow, wonder if i'll notice any difference at all!?  :surprised:

Andrew

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #148 on: July 13, 2012, 08:32:31 am »

Found out the other day that i had 6s in my car, so as now at R Tech Stage 2, changing to Iridium 7s (NGKBKR7EIX) tomorrow, wonder if i'll notice any difference at all!?  :surprised:

Andrew

....Brighter and smoother on acceleration perhaps but any difference will only be very subtle and Miss Placebo will be flashing her thighs at you in your passenger seat. It's not gonna feel like you just had a remap!

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #149 on: July 13, 2012, 09:49:08 am »
Cheers Robin, should i use a standard gap of 0.8, or less?

Andrew