Make a donation

Author Topic: Air Conditioning removal  (Read 3138 times)

Offline andeep

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Air Conditioning removal
« on: July 07, 2009, 06:50:30 pm »
Going to remove the AC in the car soon, I'm sure its a simple job of removing the pump and the condenser that's next to the IC. Question is, is there anyway to disable it in VAG-COM after removal? Also is there a heating system that isn't climate control - one that you can manually control if the AC is on or off.

Anything else that I should know of?
2006 MK5 GTI -- Revo Stage 1 -- Neuspeed P-Flo -- OEM 'D' DV -- BSH Stage 2 PCV -- Forge Quickshifter -- BSH Pendulum Mount -- NS Boost Gauge + Pod

Offline Mark_GTIV

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
Re: Air Conditioning removal
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 09:04:20 am »
okay.. stupid question first... WHY???

second..

You can tell the car that it doesn't have climate control IIRC.. but that would also mean that automatic vent control, air recirc and temp control wouldn't also work.

There are market specific GTIs (e.g. for eastern europe) that IIRC dont have climate control as standard, but also of course, I'm sure that a regular 1.6 FSI Golf doesn't come with climate control as standard either.

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 10:24:00 am »
i guess this is to save weight?

IIRC, you can take out all the Air con gubbins, pump, rad etc but the heating will still work as normal.

Jonny did this on his Ed30, save a lot in weight

Offline Mark_GTIV

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 10:36:03 am »
Yup. I realise it will save weight.. but the chap is running stage 1, so I could think of less impactful things to do to the car to improve the performance.  :smiley:  :happy2:

Yes, I'm sure if you don't reprogram the CAN HVAC controller and just remove the aircon gubbens  the heating will continue to work... but he mentioned the question about 'disabling it in VAGCOM' and I think that would shut down all his HVAC controls - instead of just air conditioning.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 11:35:00 am »
ye it is a bit crazy in those early stages.

i would think there is a way with vag com to do what your after and not shut it all down

Offline andeep

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 11:54:52 am »
Its all to save weight. Yep I'm only stage one - wanted to see how far he car can actually be pushed at this stage. Will be going stage 2 soon anyway. I just need to get hold of the non-climate control system.
2006 MK5 GTI -- Revo Stage 1 -- Neuspeed P-Flo -- OEM 'D' DV -- BSH Stage 2 PCV -- Forge Quickshifter -- BSH Pendulum Mount -- NS Boost Gauge + Pod

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 07:07:12 pm »
i don't even think you need to do that. Jonnys still running climatic last time i saw but without aircon