Make a donation

Author Topic: Heated seats help...  (Read 1808 times)

Offline dub singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 13
  • Snakebite Chasers...
    • Email
Heated seats help...
« on: December 11, 2011, 10:19:51 pm »
Recently acquired some heated seats from a 2007 GTI for my 2007 FSI... Got them fitted in and looking all good...

Does anyone know how to get the heating function to work? i assume i need some sort of wiring harness/adapter and a switch on the climate control fascia?

My climate control fascia panel is the bog standard poverty spec one... Anyone know what parts i need and rough costs? part numbers would be greatly appreciated..

Cheers in advance..
If you're having Audio problems i feel bad for ya son... I've got 99 problems but Bass aint one!

Offline skard

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
Re: Heated seats help...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 10:29:41 pm »
Check this http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,38242.msg462014.html#msg462014

Basically, you'll need a new heater panel with heated seat roller switches on (eBay £25-50), a loom from Kufatec and a pair of scissors to butcher said loom. You'll benefit from having VCDS to activate it and clear any faults.

You'll have to swap plugs and extend all the wires on the side going to your passenger seat as the loom is made for LHD.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:46:41 pm by skard »
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline skard

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 10:42:17 pm »
eBay item 230562672826 is the kind of panel you need if non-digital - I have one from a Passat  :happy2:

Offline dub singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • Snakebite Chasers...
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 11:42:55 pm »
Cheers for all that fella..  :happy2:

The item you've posted is that a direct fit? as the seller hasnt listed 'Golf 'on the listing..

Is the wiring mostly plug and play? apart from the modification of the 'Kufatec' wiring loom? Dont really fancy cutting/splicing into any of the origial wiring...

Cheers
If you're having Audio problems i feel bad for ya son... I've got 99 problems but Bass aint one!

Offline skard

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 10:32:23 am »
I have a Passat panel, should all be fine. As for having ECON or AC, they are both usable panels.

Factory wiring is untouched in this retrofit but you may have to swap pins on the loom plugs - I never needed to.

The loom has all connectors. All you need is about 3m of 2.5mm wire, and  I needed the same length for two skinny wires (used some speaker wire). Also have two 30a fuses and a 5a mini blade fuse.

On 2007+ seats you're swapping the plugs on the loom only and having to solder/heatshrink the joints.
The passenger side on mine had 8 wires but drivers side 5 (heated seats with electrical lumbar), thus the need for three additional wires.

Just remember when testing the seats they only heat up when sat on.

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 10:24:09 am »
I have a Passat panel, should all be fine. As for having ECON or AC, they are both usable panels.

Factory wiring is untouched in this retrofit but you may have to swap pins on the loom plugs - I never needed to.

The loom has all connectors. All you need is about 3m of 2.5mm wire, and  I needed the same length for two skinny wires (used some speaker wire). Also have two 30a fuses and a 5a mini blade fuse.

On 2007+ seats you're swapping the plugs on the loom only and having to solder/heatshrink the joints.
The passenger side on mine had 8 wires but drivers side 5 (heated seats with electrical lumbar), thus the need for three additional wires.

wish I knew that yesterday, I fitted some 2008MY seats in a 2004 golf. I didn't bother extending the loom. I took the controller of the passenger seat with the loom and swopped it with the drivers seat loom. Wired it in and no heat. Checked the wiring with a multimeter and the voltage changed when the dial was adjusted. and doing a continuity test on the element that was fine. I was sure it was ok and put the seats back and when you pushed hard on the seat it started to warm.
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline galaxie500

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • 56 plate 5 door in Black Pearl Metallic
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 03:57:44 pm »
Hi there,

My Edition 30's heated seats - the passenger one at least,  heats up when there's nobody in it. Is this right?  Should there be an occupancy sensor or other microswitch that senses whether there's a bum in the seat?!  
The other half loves the heated seat and its normally cranked to the max but I've noticed it warms in lower settings too when she's not there.
Any ideas?

galaxie500

Offline skard

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 10:28:07 pm »
I'm going on what I've read and that mine only heat up when sat on. I think they go off the seatbelt warning sensor.

Are they definitely warm through the seat elements and not ambient cabin temperature?

Does the passenger seat heat up even when set at 0?

Offline skard

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 12:22:47 pm »

wish I knew that yesterday, I fitted some 2008MY seats in a 2004 golf. I didn't bother extending the loom. I took the controller of the passenger seat with the loom and swopped it with the drivers seat loom. Wired it in and no heat. Checked the wiring with a multimeter and the voltage changed when the dial was adjusted. and doing a continuity test on the element that was fine. I was sure it was ok and put the seats back and when you pushed hard on the seat it started to warm.

Just noticed your reply (initially read this on Tapatalk and seemed to miss it).

It's good for the forum to know the box/loom swapping works. In hindsight I would use this method, but my seats were already in and I'm alright with a soldering gun & had lots of spare wire so didn't take long. Either way, it's still frustrating that Kufatec don't let you specify LHD or RHD as they are making the loom up to order anyway?

I know what you mean, when I ran it all in I had forgotten the 5A mini fuse so I was getting lumbar support but no heat - I was ready to pull it all out and start again until I borrowed a fuse and there it was - heat!
Big relief as I started to think the elements were gone, had I wrecked the loom etc.