Make a donation

Author Topic: To replace thermostat or not ...  (Read 9100 times)

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
To replace thermostat or not ...
« on: January 06, 2011, 09:00:18 am »
There have been a few threads of late about cars taking a long time to warm up in the recent weather, I had been reasonably sure it was 'normal' due to the cold weather but I'm not so sure now and am about to punt the car to a garage to get the thermostat replaced (05 plate / 54k miles).  But just before I do I'd like to run this past folks one last time.

On my journey in today part through town traffic then dual carriageway,  7 miles total / about 15-20 mins the gauge was sitting half way between the floor and 90 Deg.  It was about 1 Deg C today.  I have seen it climb to 90 - very slowly - then dropping quite quickly back to the half way position.  This kindov suggests that the thermostat isn't regulating quite as it should but also suggests that it is doing something!  :confused:

My wifes 1.2 polo is at full temp about 5 minutes after leaving the house on the same journey so surely my turbo's lump should be getting hot even quicker?

I do notice that the ed30 / Pirelli engines have a 87 Deg C thermostat but the KO3's have an 80 Deg C thermostat.  I mention this as a lot of the ed30's / Pirelli guys seem to be saying theirs heat up quickly.  But maybe thats an age issue as well since the KO4 engined golfs are a few years younger than the KO3's like mine ...

Bit of a ramble but I'm looking for a bit of reassurance to justify the £100 to change the thermostat when there may be nothing wrong with it ...
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: To replace thermostat or not ...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 09:17:32 am »
by drive to the gym is about 5-10 minutes, little bit of stop start and a hill, but due to engine being cold I keep the revs under 2k and by the time I arrive the temp is over half way and nearly at 90.  Car is K03 05 ~40k  so it sounds like something isn't right especially if the needle also then drops are you going to get them to replace the temperature sender while there at it?

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:34:29 am »
My short drive to work is about 6mins of 30mph and the car is just about touching 90 by the time i arrive give or take a few degrees. Its about 3 miles.
When the weather was 0 - -5, the car wasnt quite reaching 90 but wasnt far off, it certainly doesnt take more than a few more minutes to warm up if it hasnt reached temp by this time, so i suspect there are quite a few tired thermostats out there now.

Edit: Mine is a K03 on 48k
Ant

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:45:48 am »
I'm getting more convinced!  Thanks chaps.

I did the the temp sender myself before xmas.  It was dark and about -10 Deg C outside ... not a good idea!  Didn't make a difference.  :sad1:
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:38:19 am »
I would say replace it  :happy2:.My old mk5 GTI never got 1/2 on a 7 mile drive to work on A roads in this weather/time of year etc, but since changing to my ED 30 2 weeks ago total change. Temp gauge is on the 1/2 way mark & hot air through the vents even before i reach work. I would think for what they cost got to be worth doing,wish i had changed it last winter on the GTI. :happy2:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 08:26:03 pm by Gene Hunt »
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 02:45:39 pm »
Yes I did change it and it didn't make any difference - I've also replied in your other thread with more info.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant