Make a donation

Author Topic: Car takes a long time to warm up! Thermostat or Coolant sensor  (Read 1525 times)

namz1

Car takes a long time to warm up! Thermostat or Coolant sensor
« on: December 15, 2011, 02:01:06 pm »
As above iv noticed recently my car is taking quite a long time to get to 90 degrees, even with about 15-20 mins of driving it still doesnt reach it, climbs very slowly.
How long does it usually take to get to the optimum temperature? Of course with the recent cold weather it could be normal but i have read somewhere cars should warm up in 5 mins!
Am thinking its the thermostat or coolant sensor maybe although it has not come up on the vagcom,
Also the heaters at 90 degrees are not giving out the best heat
Anyone facing anything similar or have faced and know the solution?

Offline JackG

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
Re: Car takes a long time to warm up! Thermostat or Coolant sensor
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 02:15:50 pm »
Personally I wouldn't worry?

My old G40 never used to get to temp! It various coolers on it tho and only really got hot when I drove it hard

It will take longer to get in these months due to cold air etc
Intercooler will be cold as its been sat
Air going in will be cold
Block will be cold as its been sat....my point being that big chunks of cold metal will take time to warm up?
If you've got a up rated IC too then obviously it will take its time

You know when a thermostat will stick when you start getting problems with coolant lights, I personally wouldn't worry and shows you that all your potential cooling agents are working  :drinking:
But at the same time what's a thermostat cost? About £15?? May be worth it for your peice of mind tho

Hope that helps

Jack

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
Re: Car takes a long time to warm up! Thermostat or Coolant sensor
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 02:44:40 pm »
This was covered last year.  Its 'normal'.  Some cars seem to warm up quick and some don't.

I have the exact same problem and had both the coolant sensor and thermostat changed but it didn't make a blind bit of difference.  What I have found that makes a pretty big difference is switching your climate control either off or turn the fan speed down to two.  Engine reaches temp a lot quicker that way.

Lots of 2.0T owners have reported the same issue.  The KO4 turbo cars seem to warm up a lot quicker.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant