Make a donation

Author Topic: Any Costco shoppers  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Any Costco shoppers
« on: December 17, 2011, 05:09:25 pm »
I thought costco was meant to be cheap!!!!

I just got my membership there today and after a trip around the store I'm pretty certain that excluding fresh chicken, fizzy pop drinks, razor blades and toilet paper, I think tescos is cheaper.

Also thought id nip into the tyres depot for a quick quote, where the obnoxious  emplo£yee insisted that I should only be putting pilot exaltos on my car and not anything else, at around £150 a tyre  :mad:.  I told him id had them before and didn't see them as a high performance tyre especially plus the PS3 and PSS tyres are rated as more performance orientated and explained they were the kind of tyres I wanted.

He then told me I was completely wrong because he  had them on his 300hp car with no issue.  Cheers, im off, thanks for your help. Ill just get the Good year eagle F1 Assymetric 2's for £100 a corner instead off camskill

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
Re: Any Costco shoppers
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 05:13:35 pm »
I think you only really benfit from food/drink purchases if you are going to sell them on in a shop!

Some things can be cheaper, if you require them in bulk.
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 07:25:01 pm »
Its good for washing powder, dishwasher tablets that sort of thing but yeah I agree its not really that cost effective for the majority of things.  They don't usually sell rubbish, its generally good quality which you also have to factor in and the warranty on electrical stuff is very good. 
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 08:06:22 pm »
You kinda need to know what you're going to buy and research first. There's definitely bargains to be had (I picked up 24 bottles of Powerade for £9.58) but I reckon they make their money back on impulse buyers

I wouldn't get tyres off there personally. Camskill all the way! Their motor oil is cheap tho
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Ifti

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 09:45:08 pm »
Its good for washing powder, dishwasher tablets that sort of thing but yeah I agree its not really that cost effective for the majority of things.  They don't usually sell rubbish, its generally good quality which you also have to factor in and the warranty on electrical stuff is very good. 

Spot on. I sometimes go to Makro, which is like Costco, but only get stuff like washing powder, tablets, fabric conditioner, and so on. Every so often they have deals on toilet paper and kitchen towels as well, so I stock up on them.
Other then that I don't think they are a lot cheaper, unless buying in bulk.

Offline too hot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 10:46:45 pm »
I agree with the comment you need to know what you are looking for and do  your research especially on large items like TVs.
However the free 5 year guarantee is awesome and they have a no quibble money back guarantee on everything.
I`ve taken a few things back and had no problems.
The tyres are expensive and you can get better deals on drink in the supermarkets :santa:
2014 White 3dr S3 Stronic

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 11:14:17 am »
I didn't renew my membership this year as the prices just seem so high.  It used to be very cheap on everything except confectionary and smokes.  The electricals and White goods were always higher priced but that's reflected in the 5 year guarantee.  However you could probably purchase the same item plus extended cover plan (including damage) from the likes of currys for less.

I guess if you have a large family, and all eat the same meals then you could bulk buy and save, the meat they sell is very good quality.

Automotive items can be good, tyres are on offer twice a year and the deal works out to be buy 3 get 1 free.  Oils, microfibre cloths, tools, cleaning stuff is not bad on price and you won't find anywhere else that sells 12 croissants for under £3  :signLOL:

Best bit about Costco is the huge American sized car parks meaning your pride and joy isn't dinged by some moron who can't control a shopping trolley let alone a 1.0 Nissan micra.

Offline hiddenspy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 09:20:05 pm »
We stopd going to costco few years ago it  was allways expensive plus i found we allways ended up buying stuff we diddnt go for meaning more money wasted lol

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 10:06:29 pm »
Aberdeen angus lasagne mmmmmmmmm  :drool: Happily shop there for some things, as said before depends what ur after. Where else are you going to get 50  or something micro fibre cloths for 12 quid

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 10:29:03 am »
For all new parents the nappies seem cheap, That is the only reason i have renewed might due to our arrival next february.

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 02:05:10 pm »
For all new parents the nappies seem cheap, That is the only reason i have renewed might due to our arrival next february.
Except if you want pampers bigger than 1 or 2 , they dont seem to do the full range which is a shame.

Batteries are usually pretty good too as is motor oil I have found. 

Like other say the meat is good value and excellent quality.