Make a donation

Author Topic: E91 330d, anyone had one, know much about them???  (Read 11455 times)

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: E91 330d, anyone had one, know much about them???
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 05:35:11 pm »
eeek sorry dont know what is on the car they are 19" oem (of course) I thought 225 but unlike the dub I am not really up on option codes and the like....I havent had ANY issues so far with anything (other than the sat nav update grr). I was merely extending some of my limited knowledge to the OP so he can look into each issue further and be more informed.  :happy2:

And yes at £3 per litre I just pour concentrate into the resevoir really and top up with a little water. Like on the GTI i only EVER use approved stuff.

Ah, sorry .. you are right - it is 225's ... glad your alloys are OK  :happy2:

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 07:58:19 pm »
I presume you have the slightly older 223 alloys ... a bloke I work with had three replaced by BMW ... seems to be a poor design.  I have the newer 313M 19" wheels which seem O\k for cracking but stick out beyond the tyre - or certainly level with it and the result is any even slight error is greeted with a kerbed alloy !

As for the windscreen washer fluid - I have heard re this and have been topping up with almost neat -50 fluid as that is cheaper than BMW squirming out of a warranty claim for the headlamp washer cover.

The 313M 19's do look absolutely awesome tho. Are they diamond cut (like GTi Monza's)?

EDIT: Also can anyone recommend a must have optional extra? Any particular one to look out for?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 08:02:23 pm by pazz »

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 10:03:13 pm »
I presume you have the slightly older 223 alloys ... a bloke I work with had three replaced by BMW ... seems to be a poor design.  I have the newer 313M 19" wheels which seem O\k for cracking but stick out beyond the tyre - or certainly level with it and the result is any even slight error is greeted with a kerbed alloy !

As for the windscreen washer fluid - I have heard re this and have been topping up with almost neat -50 fluid as that is cheaper than BMW squirming out of a warranty claim for the headlamp washer cover.

The 313M 19's do look absolutely awesome tho. Are they diamond cut (like GTi Monza's)?

EDIT: Also can anyone recommend a must have optional extra? Any particular one to look out for?

They are awesome ... and diamond cut ... but, as I say, they project too far and though I am careful I have lightly scuffed three when parking !   I have not touched an alloy wheel in years and years - these are kerb magnets ... and do not refurb easy ! They refurb once only and Lepsons will now only do them by the set due to colour matching problems.  They had one of my wheels for 4 months and won't do the rest on their own :(

A must have optional extra .... this may be controversial but I would actually say the auto box !  Many speak of the manual being rare ... I would say the engine suits the auto box perfectly and come resale time you will get hammered for not having an auto ... just my view FWIW.

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 10:31:10 pm »
The professional nav I think completes the dash board but as I have said to you via PM that you should be careful over the version and getting it updated as part of the sale if possible. Bluetooth essential and be careful that the level of iPod/ iPhone integration suits you.

Cruise (not sure if standard), xenons, leather and heated seats are all good in the msport variety. On some there are front and rear parking sensors and auto dimming of high beam, with active cruise control an option too.

It is a class up from the GTI, but I do miss her, the GTI has more character and personality. Would I change back? no not for now I am enjoying the 550 miles to the tank over the 275 I used to get!

Best really trawl the e90post forum or the bimmerforums for a lot of background information.

hth

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 11:14:24 pm »
@SO8

Would you say the auto box is as good as the DSG? My ED30 has DSG so would be an interesting comparison.

The reason I make the comparison is because I use to have a BMW 330Ci E46 in Auto and that was terrible. No paddle on the steering wheel and the kickdown was a nightmare.

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 11:19:19 pm »
My list would be:

Msport
Leather
Xenons
Pro sat nav
Bluetooth
Heated seats
Auto

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 07:23:58 pm »
My list would be:

Msport
Leather
Xenons
Pro sat nav
Bluetooth
Heated seats
Auto

Small note, but the Xenons and yellow Angel eyes are standard equip' on the Coupes and optional on the Saloons/Tourers IIRC :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 07:48:04 pm »
Small note, but the Xenons and yellow Angel eyes are standard equip' on the Coupes and optional on the Saloons/Tourers IIRC :happy2:

Also, rear parking sensors and cruise and standard on MSport Coupes from what I've noticed.

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 09:39:53 pm »
@SO8

Would you say the auto box is as good as the DSG? My ED30 has DSG so would be an interesting comparison.

The reason I make the comparison is because I use to have a BMW 330Ci E46 in Auto and that was terrible. No paddle on the steering wheel and the kickdown was a nightmare.

Pazz,

I loved the DSG on my Edition 30 and no, it is not the same ... but is, IMO, very good. 

It is a 'conventional' auto with torque converter but seems more responsive than the 2002 E46 330i I had years back. 

I found DSG was great going up through the box but could take ages to select if kicking down at certain speeds.  I also found it didn't really like crawling in stop start traffic - i.e. it wasn't that smooth.   

In both these areas the BMW auto in my 330d is far better but the box is no DSG for fast changes.  It is not slow by any means but DSG is so different.  Sorry I can't be more helpful - the best way is to try one.  I love the auto and would not have a diesel manual as, having driven them, there is simply too much gear changing and not enough fun as you can't really hold gears and end up driving on a wave of torque.

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 07:03:46 am »
I'd also pay attention to the angel eyes early versions are yellow halogen even with main beam xenon. Older post lci versions I believe get a whiter angel eye, these may be xenon or just led but this is a heads up to ensure you are not disappointed post purchase.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 10:27:26 pm »
Keeping this one alive guys, out of interest what kind of power is realistic from the 330d with the 232hp block?

I was discussing this with a friend and I felt 290hp was realistic with a stage 2 map and a good exhaust, perhaps Eisenmann or Milltek to take two? Is that achievable or can you not do as much with them as I'm thinking? I'd expect 280/290hp would make it quite a rapid tank with torque figures to support these  :happy2:
Pete

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 10:38:41 pm »
I offer 2 maps on a stock 330d 231hp. First makes 275ish hp with 65ftlb gain in torque and the other makes 295hp with an extra 110 ftlb. The only problem is that the airbox vibrates with the higher power map and it tends to kill clutches on higher milage cars :evilgrin:

Ideal on an auto though. Have tuned loads with the higher power option, never had any reliability issues.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2012, 09:50:01 pm »
^ Decent results.

Is there a VCDS equivalent for the BMW canbus/electronics?
Pete

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 01:22:08 pm »
Yes, it's something like: Bavarian auto technik.

Locked to the first vehicle it's used on though I think, unless you purchase the pro version