Make a donation

Author Topic: E91 330d, anyone had one, know much about them???  (Read 11447 times)

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Re: E91 330d, anyone had one, know much about them???
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2012, 09:13:43 pm »
The 325Ds have a single turbo and the 330/335Ds have twin turbos. I have a 525D (same 3 litre engine) and there is nothing like a smooth 6 cylinder TDI.
Alex

Incorrect....the 330d is a single turbo, the 335d is a twin turbo

I currently run a 335d E92 coupe, running a DTUK CRD-T tuning box and make 340bhp, 510 lbs/ft torque, my car returns an average of 36/38 to the tank with mixed driving and spirited driving.
On a steady long run I can get 50 ish mpg .... Constant 70/80 on a motorway.
I'm on my second 335d coupe now, I love it, best of everything IMO....looks, power/performance, economy and nt expensive to run either.
The only negative side is the tyres, good quality branded tyres aren't cheap, but all in all, they're a great car !!

The 330d is equally as good, just not a quick and I prefer the power delivery of the twin turbo over the single turbo found on the 330d

Oh, and the auto box with sport option (paddles) would be better if your planning on a power increase, otherwise you'll be forever changing gear !!

Change that resistor in a box 'aka' tuning box for something that reconfigures the in gear torque limiters and increases boost and airflow limiter maps  (all that is raised by a tuning box is fuel pressure, resulting in the engine running on the torque limiters)  and you will be blown away by the improvement.  An extra 60-70 ftlb is easily achievable and loads more mid range bhp.

Offline NotNormal

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 03:56:20 pm »
Change that resistor in a box 'aka' tuning box for something that reconfigures the in gear torque limiters and increases boost and airflow limiter maps  (all that is raised by a tuning box is fuel pressure, resulting in the engine running on the torque limiters)  and you will be blown away by the improvement.  An extra 60-70 ftlb is easily achievable and loads more mid range bhp.

I hear what your saying, and I would be tempted to have a remap, but due tot he frequency I change my vehicles it's value for money for me running a tuning box.

Mine isn't the cheapo 'resistor in a box' as you say, those types come with a load of  problems !

Correct, my tuning box does up the fuel pressure, but it also increases the boost level too - and having had it checked by a local diesel tuner the cylinder temps ect.... Are all optimal, no undue stresses and no limits being being archived on fuelling side of things, likewise with the boost.

I agree, yes, from a remap I could get more out of the engine, but the ZF box coupled to the 35d engine would be on the manufactures (ZF) limits !
As I do allot of miles and at time drive spiritedly, I have no wish to broach these limits as I would like longevity out of the car and associated parts.

I bought the car with circa 40k on it, and have done nearly an additional 60k in under two years, with only the seals in one of the boost hoses needed to be replaced.
Never hadley DPF issues, never had a DPF light, the regen's occur as they should and I have literally had no issues

The only thing I have had done to the car was a full software update from BMW as it was on the original 2007software and I thought it wouldn't hurt to update it :D

Just out of curiosity, the price for a remap of my car, E92 335d would be what from yourself ???

Don't judge me by your ability !

Current daily crapper - Audi A6 Avant 3.0tdi SLine Quattro

Previous favourite rides :

BMW E92 335d M/Sport (351/520)
BMW  E92 335d SE (339/500)
Golf MK5 GT170 Diesel Sport (220/330)
Audi S4 (B6) - Noggy blue (366bhp)
Evo VI (6 ;) ) RSII - Scotia White (420bhp)
Astravan Sportive 1.9 CDTi - 190bhp
Astra GTE (MK2) Turbo (

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2012, 05:58:38 pm »
Map price is £399, heres a vid:

We have mapped a fair few 335d's that had the same resistor box that you have, the response from owners that have made the switch is that they cant believe the difference in drivability and mid range power.

BMW are very specific about the max rail pressure you should have, boxes massively exceed these limits. The boost plug in will be adding no 'real' boost as the ECU monitors boost pressure via airflow limiters, the box cant alter these. So altjough it will try and trick the engine into adding boost, it will simply overboost for a moment before ECU corrects it again. I have pent 100's of hours testing various boxes for many companies, not yet impressed by any of them, tbh thre hasnt been much of a difference between the £300/500 boxes and the £50/100 boxes, they all pretty much do the same thing by applying +\- resistance values to trick the ECU.