Make a donation

Author Topic: Weather Forecasts  (Read 733 times)

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
Weather Forecasts
« on: December 18, 2011, 01:11:34 pm »
Is it me or are weather forecasts getting worse despite millions and millions being spent on fancy equipment?

In a long line of totally inaccurate forecasts I looked at the BBC red button forecast during Match of the Day this morning and it gave it sunny all day (apart from a light shower around 9 AM). I flicked over to BBC News Channel and the same. Fired up the internet and checked another forecast: sunny.
Great, thinks I, two machine loads of washing to catch up on and wifey off to work so I can earn some Brownie points and spend the rest of the day doing either not much or maybe giving the car a bath if it warms up a bit.

WRONG! Washing washed, out on the line and it absolutely chucks it down; rain, sleet and slushy muck. Okay thinks I, it'll clear up in a bit. WRONG! It has pee'd it down almost non stop all morning with the odd 5 minute burst of weak sunshine.

Now it wouldn't be so bad, I mean despite the untold millions of pounds of taxpayers money spent on the Met Office, but the effing Met Office is less than a mile from my front door!!!  :grin:

Friday night they said there will be heavy rain and gales, they gave a weather warning for the area. Guess what? Yep, fine and dry all night with barely a gust of wind.

You'd think that even if nobody can bother to lift their head from they ebaying on their works computer to look out of the window in the darned building that someone just might have walked from the car park to their office and told someone that it's almost non stop throwing it down out there?

Maybe I'm just too simplistic?

Andy
7R

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Weather Forecasts
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 04:38:56 pm »
A lot of it is based on predictions. Even with all the supercomputers in the world, you cannot accurately predict what is going to happen.

Having said that, the Met Office app is bang on for its predictions ever since I downloaded earlier this year.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 09:36:39 pm »
I have found the forecast to be very accurate nowadays, anything up to 4 days. After that it is a bit of a lottery.  :happy2:

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 09:02:10 am »
Listen to the shipping forecast, much more accurate  :happy2:
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers