Make a donation

Author Topic: Trader sold me a car that has problems.?  (Read 1357 times)

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
Trader sold me a car that has problems.?
« on: December 21, 2011, 12:50:29 pm »
I bought a Megane 225 a few weeks ago and the trader agreed to do the cambelt and mot. I booked car in at Renault for some work and they have rang me today saying the cambelt has not been done, the wheel bearing are on way out its basically an mot failure. Where do I stand? The car has already caused me problems as the breather pipe just pops off when i put my foot down but the trader agreed to pay for it as I have 3 months warranty. Is it possible for a refund?

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Trader sold me a car that has problems.?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 12:52:28 pm »
Think you have to give them a chance to correct it. I'd ring them up (or better still turn up in person) and ask about it. They can't ignore you in person.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 12:58:01 pm »
I will be going down today to see what they have to say. What rights do I have if he turns round and says that they have done the mot and cambelt and it's a mistake or whatever else? Iv asked renault for a print out of all the faults and will be taking that along.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 01:03:29 pm »
Write or email the dealer telling them you want the work correcting & if you get no joy tell them you will be in touch with Trading Standards. Work a treat for me a few years ago. :happy2:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline GolfGIT

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 01:12:15 pm »
I think the following is correct:

As part of your consumer rights, any vehicle faults that occur within 6 months are deemed to have been present at time of purchasing the vehicle - Regardless of any warranty.
However, you have to give the dealer fair opportunity to correct any faults - Do not just get it fixed & present him with the bill or you could be left carrying the can.

Put everything in writing, so that if problems are not resolved to your satisfaction, you at least have proof + a time line of events.
There seem to be plenty of decent traders posting on this site who might be able to offer advice from 'the other sides' point of view.

Good luck
2014 Mk7 GTI, 5 dr, manual, tornado red, performance pack,
19" santiago's.

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 01:26:44 pm »
Im currently in a similar boat as you. Today, I am Mr. Breaker.

2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 05:03:06 pm »
Been down and they will look in to it, thanks for the advice guys :happy2:

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 07:15:22 pm »
You have legal redress:

If you buy a car from a registered motor dealer, and experience a fault or problem within 6 months of the purchase date, the onus is on that dealer to prove that the fault was not present at the time of sale.

Here's a little excerpt from a previous post of mine:

Check your local trading standards & Citizens Advice. Under the Sale & Supply of Goods Act (Consumer Regulations 2002) any motor dealer must warrant their vehicles for 6 months from the date of sale. Note that in such instances the onus is on the dealer to prove that any fault arising was not preexisting the sale. Otherwise the seller is essentially liable.

Have a read:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_world/consumer_affairs/buying_second_hand_vehicles.htm#you_bought_the_vehicle_from_a_dealer

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=52855

The first link shows you that faults would need to be fairly major to allow a retun & refund, so wheel bearing faults and such are easy fixes, and are unlikely to be classed as 'major'. You do, however have the right to redress about these faults. If you have an agreement from the dealer, verbally or in writing to have the cam belt replaced, and it has not been done, there is a contractual breach, but this isn't necessarily grounds to reject the vehicle.

Be polite, stay firm, know your rights.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 07:19:55 pm by LouCyffer »
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 10:50:00 pm »
Thanks for that :happy2: