Make a donation

Author Topic: EGP and rain - not a good mix  (Read 1909 times)

Offline tuglet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
EGP and rain - not a good mix
« on: December 23, 2011, 08:12:39 pm »
Hi All

Gave the car a good wash this morning. The sky was clear and blue without a cloud in sight, so I thought I'd take advantage of the unseasonably fine weather to throw on a layer of EGP. Left to cure for an hour, but before I'd finished buffing off, it started to rain.

I got most of the EGP off, with the exception of the roof and bonnet. I kept buffing in the rain as quickly as I could, but I was left with a smeary, cloudy mess. I buffed and buffed until I ran out of MFs but it was still a mess, so I got the lambswool washmit and buckets out again and washed the roof and bonnet with AG bodywork shampoo. This seems to have cleared up the cloudiness, but it was getting dark and it was hard to tell.

When I rinsed off by chucking buckets of water over the car, it sheeted off beautifully, leaving only a couple of small beads of water. My question is, will the EGP have had a chance to do its thing, or will I need to wash and reapply the EGP?

Cheers
Tuglet

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: EGP and rain - not a good mix
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 09:30:11 pm »
An hour is frikking long for EGP. I stuck it on for thirty mine once and had a tough time buffing it off.

I'd probably restrip and reapply in dry conditions.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline tuglet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 09:34:19 pm »
An hour is frikking long for EGP. I stuck it on for thirty mine once and had a tough time buffing it off.

I'd probably restrip and reapply in dry conditions.

Hi stealthwolf

I've been using EGP for a while now and always leave on for 30 mins to an hour. I've never had any trouble buffing off. In fact, I'm always surprised how easy EGP is to apply and remove - when it's not raining of course. Sometimes get a little dusting if I've laid it on too thick.

How would you suggest I restrip?

Offline keith

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 10:18:40 pm »
I do 20-30 mins when using it on my caddy. Personaly I would leave it of theres no clouding left, then re apply at later date. I removed mine with an APC when I went to use permanon.

Offline tuglet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 10:38:43 pm »
I do 20-30 mins when using it on my caddy. Personaly I would leave it of theres no clouding left, then re apply at later date. I removed mine with an APC when I went to use permanon.

Hi Keith

I'm gonna take another look in the morning when it's light and I can assess the cloudiness properly. I think if it looks okay then I'll leave it until the next time I wash. If it's still cloudy I'll hit it with SRP then risk the EGP again if I think it's gonna stay dry for 20 to 30 minutes.

I'm hoping it will be giving some protection despite not being buffed off properly. I don't know how EGP works, but I'm hoping that an hour was enough time for it to "bond" (?) and do its magic, and the buffing off stage is just to make it look nice and shiney.