Make a donation

Author Topic: Windows open by themselves  (Read 6283 times)

Offline af1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Windows open by themselves
« on: December 03, 2011, 08:48:06 am »
Hi,
Did a search and it states this is a common problem, a software problem in fact.

Woke up this morning to my Mrs calling "Your windows are open!!!" oh poop i think inside my head and a run down, and she's right.. all 4 windows wide open! I go and have a look, no lock damage just 4 open windows and lots of water inside the car :(

I close it all up check for any damage and get straight to google. A search reveals that in fact this is a common problem especially with cars built prior to late 2006 (mines early 2006) and one solution would be to take it to your local vw dealer who should apply a software update free of charge as the CCM module also controls the PAS and that could be dangerous!! (great i thought, VW looking after their customers! They wouldn't want their customers cars out there with a fault that could potentially cause an accident)

I find the number for my local friendly VW dealer! and explain the problem.. i explained to them that i believed it was a common fault and before anything useful he said "Well we aint gonna fix it for free, actually mate is it in warranty??" I explained how it wasn't as it was a 2006 car "Ahh mate that will be £50 investigation charge then parts and labour on that"

Goodness me i thought to myself £50 to have an apprentice plug a Code reader into my car! poor lad/lady is probably getting that a week! what a markup!

So now I'm going to plug it into VCDS and see what it says to me, then i'll be having a chat with an independent.. It would be nice to get a 'common fault' like this fixed for free but seeing as thats not going to happen I'd rather pay an independent to sort it then a main dealer with no customer service skills (admittedly i didn't buy the car used from them but it is one of their cars)

Alan

p.s. any advice on drying this out (my air con doesn't work either, I'm awaiting that from the dealer i bought it from.. who are having trouble getting parts)

dear me, I went through a year of bangernomics before buying this! and when they started playing up i just sold them to my local scrap man!

Offline af1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Windows open by themselves
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 09:03:48 am »
vcds'd it, no faults :(

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 09:24:56 am »
Oh Damn, sounds like your local dealer has customer relation problems  :confused:

I might be talking poo poo here but, this happened to my car twice. When I mentioned it to a local tech guy he advised that before you do anything, you should change the battery in the key and also at the same time give the key a good clean!

Since doing this, its never happened again.....for me anyway  :happy2:

Give it a go! It can do any worse!

Offline bobsgolf

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 09:57:26 am »
morning

a lot of mk5 golfs have a facility to open or close the electric windows from the remore keyfob
if you accidently leave a window open on your car and get out the car ,
when you go to lock the car press and hold the remote lock button , this should lock the car then close the window , once the window is closed release the button
now if you press and hold the unlock button the car will re open the window you have just closed
the car remembers the last operation of the windows and that is the one, or ones it will operate
the open facility is good for leaving a dog in the car on a hot day for example , and the close one is nice and handy , now and then , like in a car park

so the moral of the story is , your windows left sitting open, may have inatvertantly been  caused by operator error ,( sorry to be so blunt )  the fact that the key fob may have been accidently pressed and held pressed for a few seconds  , while in range of the car , is the most likley cause of your fault
which is why the windows have all went down ( the last remembered operation ).. it might be to many things in a pocket which has pressed the key by mistake
it would only take 2 mins to see if your car has this facility , which i recon it has , by your description of the fault
and all you need to do for the future is make shure that the key does not get pressed while in range of the car accidently
a final point , is to make sure the remote buttons are not sticking , and your remote is working ok , a sticky button could do the same thing , worth a check

if your car has this facility , you know know how to avoid it happening in the future

let us know how you get on

Robert
Bobsgolf

Offline bobsgolf

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 10:07:23 am »
the term most people call this facility ,is total closure 

it will also work on a lot of cars from the drivers door lock , by doing the same . you turn and hold the key

if your car has a sunroof , it may even close the electric sun roof
Bobsgolf

Offline af1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 03:48:49 pm »
It has not done it since, I know about total closure but the key fob was a long way from the car :/

Offline Pobinho

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 07:27:58 pm »
This exact thing happened to me a couple of days ago. I know for a fact my 08 gti was locked with all windows completely shut.  A few hours later I hear the alarm going off. Go out to find all four windows completely down.  I hadn't touched the key for the hours since I had left it secure.  It hasn't happened since but don't feel confident parking up and leaving it for any length of time. Not good when you still have xmas shopping to do!  :scared:

Offline djones80

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 10:42:25 pm »
It has not done it since, I know about total closure but the key fob was a long way from the car :/

This has happened to me once, thankfully I noticed about an hour later.
Interestingly, if you need to boost the range of your keyfob, hold it to your chin or forehead (you may get some funny looks :laugh:) and then press the button to lock or unlock. You'd be amazed at what range you would be able to get with it!!!

Dave  :drinking: :santa:
VW Golf Mk5 GT TDI
Just bought it, and now starting to mod :)