Make a donation

Author Topic: Machine Polishing  (Read 1110 times)

Offline JimboGolf

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Machine Polishing
« on: April 03, 2014, 01:23:35 pm »
Hi anyone know any good places where they do training for a machine polisher?

James

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Machine Polishing
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 02:19:32 pm »
Not really any around here.
Where are you in Berkshire.

I do detailing as a part time earner and I also wrote this guide - http://tinyurl.com/lep3cl4

If you want we can come to a deal on a detail of your vehicle, and as part of that I will go through the motions with you and do some knowledge transfer?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:21:11 pm by xjay1337 »

Offline JimboGolf

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 08:03:31 pm »
Im based just outside Windsor, where abouts you?

I thought that may be the case as i have looked around :(

O do you, i havent had my Golf detailed yet i need to but needs some body work attention to. Just need to no what i need to look at buying to machine polish and the skills involved

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 11:42:46 pm »
Newbury bud.

The thing is it takes a lot of time to practise and learn. it's an art form. i've been doing it for a few years now, even still am learning new things, or trying new techniques and methods. pretty much anyone can pick up a dual action polisher and get an "ok" result but to take it from ok to a show winning shine or something that literally stands out from the crowd takes decades of experience

it can take 10,20,30+ hours to get a good result on a vehicle and no-one really has the time or incentive to offer training services. it's not worth it in terms of cost vs output from a business point of view - it can take a solid 12 hour day to get a single stage polish done, so imagine having to sort of slow your own pace down and train up someone, just not enough time unfortunately

There's a company over kent way called KDS who do training days but these are few and far between  . they come up on Detailing World from time to time. I cannot remember if you have to pay for them or not, if you do then I would imagine it to be pretty pricey being KDS.

They've ceased trading but a company called Shinearama which were based in Manchester offered a training service but they basically charged you £300(so the price of an exterior detail anyway) and in effect they did it for you and you watched, did a few panels yourself, and ended up with a better understanding of the process and a well enhanced car to drive away in.

My guide covers everything you would need to get started with a dual action polisher. so i would recommend you read that.

it's about 300 quid to buy what you need to get started, although you can do it for a bit cheaper if you omit some things.

machinie itself (120).
one cutting pad one polishing pad one refining/finishing pad - 30 quid (8-10 each)
three grades of polish (cutting polishing and jewelling/polishing) (up to 60 quid)
ipa (10)
tar remover (15)
iron fallout remover (10)
clay bar (10)
two buckets with grit guards (40)
decent wash mitt (15)
shampoo (15)
quality drying towels (30)
protective gloves (10)
wax/sealant (~30+)
glass cleaners (10)
pack of decent microfibres (15 )
quick detail spray (10)
wheel cleaner (10)
wheel cleaning brushes (30)

you also really need some halogen lamps or swirl finder lights (about 40 quid)

then not forgetting your time if you are a novice i would budget at least two full days in your car in a dry environment, garage/unit . i've done enough cars outside to tell you it's crap and working in at least a dry somewhat controlled environment is much better.

as with anything i believe if you do something it should be done properly. you may have some of the bits and pieces in the list above already, or you could for example only get a cutting and a finish pad and polish to get started, but everything listed (and no doubt some bits i've left out) is required for the correction and subsequent upkeep of the vehicle in the proper manner

but the point is to change your washing and drying process to avoid inflicting marks to begin with. one single wash can undo 30 or more hours worth of paint correction which take it from me first hand is very very disheartening to see. polish / cheap hand / machine car washes being some of the worst followed by poor washing and drying technique at home. the point is to get the car as good as it can be once and then spend the rest of the time maintaining that finish. to the point where you can do a very light refinement polish every 18 months without having any major scratches or marks to worry about.

if you would like we can come to some arrangement on training or a full enhancement of your vehicle if you decide you do not want to try it for yourself.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 11:45:01 pm by xjay1337 »