Make a donation

Author Topic: Air intake pipe fitting  (Read 1592 times)

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 62
  • "Every great journey starts with a single step.."
Air intake pipe fitting
« on: December 24, 2011, 10:48:55 pm »
Earlier today, I was topping up my screenwash before my festive travels and noticed that the air intake pipe was hanging off!  Looks like the dealer hasn't put it back on properly after the last service.  I tried to squeeze the metal clip but as I hadn't had 3 Shredded Wheat for breakfast, found it a bit tricky! I was in a bit of a rush and managed to sort of get it on, but it obviously wasn't on far enough as it has since come off again.  Is there a particular knack to refitting it?  Standard GTI parts..

Any suggestions?

Cheers chaps.  :xmassmiley:

Paul.

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 28
Re: Air intake pipe fitting
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 11:14:56 pm »
If you mean the metal circular clip that goes around the tubing connecting the airbox attached to the grill to the engine cover you just need some pliers or grips as there are 2 lugs that need squeezing together as its sprung metal  :happy2:

Dave

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 11:20:49 pm »
Hi Dave

Yes that's the clip.  I'm guessing that once the clip is loose, the pipe/tube pushes on as far as it will go, so that the clip is beyond the raised part on the engine cover?

Cheers!  :drinking:

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 11:55:31 am »
Had a go this morning at getting the pipe firmly on.  Not sure if it's as far on as it should be.  Can anyone confirm this please?  Struggling to get it on more than this..

Cheers for any advice.  Got the next stage of the 'travels' in a couple of days and want to make sure it's on properly!

Thanks again.

Paul.