Make a donation

Author Topic: Break in  (Read 7690 times)

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
Re: Break in
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2011, 10:48:47 pm »
Can you set your alarm for downstairs coverage only?

Depending if you have the facility for partitions on the alarm you can

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2011, 11:16:28 pm »
My parents are getting an alarm installed, bit like locking the gate after the horse has bolted but better late then never. Anyone know decent alarm companies?

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2011, 11:36:53 pm »
You say police do not do anything, in some cases they can't. Two nites ago, there were 9 bobbies on shift covering the whole of Halifax, 140 sq miles!!

your kidding   :surprised: i live in halifax and thats shocking :scared:  is that due to cuts then?

Sorry Matt, no jokes, think the shift on were short of bodies, but it just shows. Public do not realise the resources they try to work with, as soon as they get a lock up they are tied up in custody for what could be a couple of hours. Even worse if a lock up claims illness/injury, they can be stuck in a&e looking after someone, rather than on the streets doing the job they would rather be doing!
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2011, 11:45:00 pm »
Does your mum like dogs.  Best detterent there is.  A big bark will deter them.  I go away alot and my dog makes the wife feel safe alone.  Plus id not want to be the person who tries to get in my house with the dog.

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 12:06:20 am »
Does your mum like dogs.  Best detterent there is.  A big bark will deter them.  I go away alot and my dog makes the wife feel safe alone.  Plus id not want to be the person who tries to get in my house with the dog.

50kg Akita flying down the stairs would be a brave man to tackle that :evilgrin:

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2011, 10:57:26 am »

50kg Akita flying down the stairs would be a brave man to tackle that :evilgrin:

My 2x JRTs can give a nasty lick.

When they bark they sound like Chihuahas lol. Not much of a deterrent.

Sorry to hear of the break in, this was something that always worried me when i had my Mk5 GTI and the Scirocco GT. However, i leave the keys on show now we have the Fiat 500, in the hope someone breaks in and takes it.  :wink: Its ok though, as its the wifes car.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2011, 01:37:29 pm »
When I was away for my holidays 17th through to 24th December, I left my car outside my own house but my keys were left at my mates house 3 miles away, if they broke in they would find an empty house (pretty much just a bed in there) as I only use it for a weekend crash pad which gets used around 5 times per year, the rest of the time I live at my parents summer house in sunny Norfolk.

Hate the thought of thieving scum in your house while you sleep, i cant say what i would do if i woke up to that!  :fighting:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2011, 02:43:51 pm »
A burglar has just been released and said that things like a dog, alarm ,real or fake and a gravel drive are some of the best deterrants available.

Offline hiddenspy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2011, 04:03:47 pm »

defo agree there . i also have an akita and she is amazing there was a car alarm going off last week and my misses had to show the dog it was not our golf before she would settle and stop barking i have always had dogs and it wouldnt be the first time thay have stopd a brake in

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2011, 05:00:53 pm »
A burglar has just been released and said that things like a dog, alarm ,real or fake and a gravel drive are some of the best deterrants available.

Should be alright then, mums summer house has gravel drive, outside security lights (think your local footy club paying an evening match lol) an alarm and 2 dogs keeping me company (ones a Biter the other a Licker!).
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Carla77

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2011, 11:26:48 pm »
When we were calling the police about the break in I was moaning about them a bit, saying they won't turn up for 2 days and then come and do nothing etc etc, I couldn't have been more wrong, they were there in about 30 mins and the SOCO guy was about 5 mins behind them. They asked all the usual questions and took my parents finger prints, not mine or my gf or daughter though which I thought was strange. Haven't heard anything about mums car which I expected to be found dumped somewhere, have had to wheel my old mk4 golf out of the garage for her to run around in til they get something sorted.

I can't agree more - we live in Sheffield and the police were great with us arriving really quickly. They also sent a crime prevention officer around who gave us some shock alarms (small alarms for each window, door, etc which go off if the window is smashed) for all the windows. He also checked out our property and gave us pointers for what we could do to deter thieves in future. It would be good if you could ask your local police force if they have such a service as some of the questions that you're asking ( names of good alarm companies, etc) could be answered.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2011, 11:37:16 pm »
When I was away for my holidays 17th through to 24th December, I left my car outside my own house but my keys were left at my mates house 3 miles away, if they broke in they would find an empty house (pretty much just a bed in there) as I only use it for a weekend crash pad which gets used around 5 times per year, the rest of the time I live at my parents summer house in sunny Norfolk.

Hate the thought of thieving scum in your house while you sleep, i cant say what i would do if i woke up to that!  :fighting:
Is this a wind up post?  :grin:

Aren't you a privileged one.  :laugh:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 07:27:23 am »
I live in my parents pool house 36 months a year (though they don't know), and spend the rest of the year in their Verbier ski chalet.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 08:10:14 am »
I live in my parents pool house 36 months a year (though they don't know), and spend the rest of the year in their Verbier ski chalet.

:grin: :congrats:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2011, 09:18:34 am »

You Rang M'lud...............