Make a donation

Author Topic: tiny dirt specks  (Read 3188 times)

Offline mkviken

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
tiny dirt specks
« on: December 28, 2011, 09:36:53 pm »
washed the car today and found lots of tiny dirt specs on the boot lid and around arches form crappy winter roads.

im OCD with my cleaning and not had this on my golf yet so spent ages getting them all off.

these came off easy enough with the bug remover side of my wash mit but there was thousands of them so took ages and as the car is white they stood out.

anyone recommend a good cleaner i could use to remove these easier? I've got halfords own make tar remover and its crap

I'm after something i could just spray on, leave to do its work, then wash off with a regular wash.

the car is always waxed and polished so don't want to damage the protection if possible

i have clay and detailer but i didn't plan on claying the car till the spring

Offline Daffy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
Re: tiny dirt specks
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 09:54:51 pm »
Depending on what it is Iron X and Autosmart Tardis

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 11:25:04 pm »
Tar remover will strip the wax off.

What are you using to wash the car? Is there anything on the drying towel?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline mkviken

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 10:31:24 am »
i use megs ultimate wash and wax, megs wool mit, megs water magnet towel and the megs quick wax or quick detailer after drying. all my towels, applicators and mits are thoroughly cleaned after each use.

the specks are just winter road crap such as tar and grit etc. probably not as much tar as when i rub them they come right off, not smear in like tar usually does.

they come off easy enough by rubbing them but as they are so many its quite laborious so wanted something to loosen all the tiny specs off before/during washing.

would snow foam loosen these off.

Offline maxload

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 29
  • Edition30 - No.1819
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 10:50:02 am »
Yes a good snow foam may help. If you need to preserve your wax finish you could snow foam and leave to dwell for 10mins. Rinse it and snow foam again and leave to dwell. Rinse again then use 2 bucket method and clean by hand.
If this method dos'nt remove it then you may have to look at a tar remover as mentioned above , however this will remove wax....good luck  :happy2:

Offline n_d_fox

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • OCD.etail - Facebook Page
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 12:59:25 pm »
Depending on what wax / sealant your using any strong cleaner (bug, tar, APC etc) will degrade or completely remove the protection on the paint.

Snow foam and a bit of graft unfortunately is the only option i'm afraid.

Have noticed more tar on the sides of my car recently as well though but it comes off easily enough during the wash stage... thats another plus to using Zaino on the car  :happy2:

Parting the rush hour traffic like a diesel powered Moses !
OCD.etail - http://www.facebook.com/pages/OCDetail/174298162661463

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 02:47:30 pm »
Any reason why they don't come off when you wipe them with the drying towel?

Sounds like you need to strip everything back and start again. Or wait until Spring.

Offline mkviken

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 02:53:53 pm »
Any reason why they don't come off when you wipe them with the drying towel?

Sounds like you need to strip everything back and start again. Or wait until Spring.

they do come of fairly easy if i rub with the towel while drying the car or with my finger nail but as there is so many it takes forever. i would be handy if a product just lifted them all off so when i hand wash they're loose.

I'm going to get a snow foam lance i think and see if it makes a difference. i think if the car was left to soak a bit with the detergent over it it may loosen these off enough.

anyone know of a good snow foam lance or anywhere which does a deal on the lance and soap?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 05:21:27 pm »
There are a few companies flogging the foam lance but they are all made by one company. Almost all do a deal with a lance and 1 litre snowfoam, which will last a while. Make sure you get the correct bayonet fitting.

FWIW, I bought mine from elite car care but I think Keith on here has the wash shop and sells them.

Offline strapper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 09:39:12 am »
Sounds like you need to start again. This shouldn't be sticking to the paint with protection on it and should be washed off easily if protected. I'd start again and clay the paint work after tar removing etc.

---
I am here:
Tornado red mk5 Gti no more
Tornado red 3dr mk5 R32, leather recaros, satnav, arm rest, electricaly folding wing mirrors, sunroof, parking sensors, wOOwzers I've just made a mess of my trousers!l
Mk7 Gti 5dr solid white

Offline n_d_fox

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • OCD.etail - Facebook Page
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 12:54:14 pm »
anyone know of a good snow foam lance or anywhere which does a deal on the lance and soap?
[/quote]

These are the guys that pretty much started the distribution of the foam lance thing...

http://shop.autobritedirect.co.uk/pre-wash-foams--foam-lances-15-c.asp

If you cant find what you are looking for there it doesnt exist  :happy2:

Parting the rush hour traffic like a diesel powered Moses !
OCD.etail - http://www.facebook.com/pages/OCDetail/174298162661463

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 02:46:33 pm »
Its mild, theres next to no salt on the roads. Get it done before January.  :happy2:

I recently did our car, only took a day. It was new, but covered in tiny bits of fallout, iron and tar spots. Cleaned it extensively, clayed, removed everything, then rewaxed everything for the rest of winter.

Offline mkviken

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 08:57:26 pm »
my car is brand new and i polished it to and waxed it with 2 coats meguairs carnuaba wax the day i got it home, as well as seal the wheels (poor boys)

every other wash i either wipe it down with quick detailer or apply a coat of ultimate quick wax so they're should be plenty of protection on the paint.

these dirt specks aren't major, just something which has never stuck to the car until the past week or so. I'm very picky with keeping my car spotless so its probably something 99.9% of people would mind or notice TBH.

i bought a lance and some valet pr Ph neutral snow foam to try anyway.

Offline m4t_lee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 09:54:08 pm »
Deffo get some clay on it, will take it all off I'm sure :)
06 Shadow Blue GTI

Offline mkviken

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 11:19:12 pm »
Well I just Polished the car tonight in the garage. Can't see or feel any roughness anywhere including the wheel arches. Feels smooth as glass now. Tomorrow I will do 3 coats of wax and look at getting a sealer. I have gold class which I normally use but got some ultimate wax to try out too.

Im going to seal my wheels again while I'm on even though they were done recently and absolutley nothing sticks to them. The poorboys wheel sealant is excellent stuff.

I have clay but had planned on doing that in the spring.