Make a donation

Author Topic: VW MK5 Golf GTI - This is where it all started  (Read 3734 times)

Offline 08micsta

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 63
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
VW MK5 Golf GTI - This is where it all started
« on: November 28, 2011, 03:29:16 pm »
Good Afternoon

This detail is quite a special one for me as this particular car is the reason I fell in love with detailing, the reason I love old cars that have been redone and the reason I now own a detailing company.

This car and I have a history because this was the first car I ever detailed.

The first time I laid hands on this car was when it was a year old; the owner had found a scratch and wanted it removed. I swooped in having a genuine interest and soon this car was the test subject of a 17 year olds research and interest into making cars look good.

Five years later, with 28 000km on the clock the owner hearing I had officially launched my company asked me to come pamper his GTI, one of his all-time favorites, such a favorite that he also has a 2011 MK6 GTI which is featured in this write up.

I arrived early, excited to re-visit my old friend and found this waiting on the driveway:

A quick inspection revealed that the car was still immaculate, with only a bit of everyday grime here and there.

Work began with the 18 inch Monza Rims being coated in APC along with the arches which was left for a moment and then agitated with brushes.

I then continued to foam the car, followed by a re-wash and hand dry.

At this point I would like to move away from the write up and tell you a bit more about general paint maintenance and how to know when your car needs to be waxed.

If you take a look at the following pictures of this GTI:

You can see the water on the paintwork "sheets" as opposed to forming beads and running directly off. The water on this GTI clings to the paintwork - This is a sign that your car needs to be waxed.

This sort of water "behaviour" can also be caused by mild to heavy oxidation on the paintwork. Either way, your car needs paint maintenance.

If your paintwork although looking wonderful is not beading and resembles this GTI please consider either waxing the car yourself or making use of a detailer that offers this service.

Back to the detail, with the car dry I did two passes with Ultimate Compound alone as the paintwork was virtually spotless leaving me with the following finish:

Notice the metallic flake and how the paintwork soaks up the colour from the lighting in the garage? Perfect paintwork on a five year old car!

With polishing complete, the car came outside for a quick re-wash (Notice the dust on the bumper) with big brother watching from the side lines.

Then it was time for the final touches, two coats of Chemical Guys XXX Hardcore Pure Paste Wax and a touch of Wet Butter Wax with the Monza's coated in Rim Wax and all trim, tyres and plastics dressed.

Nice clean engine bay:

The interior was vacuumed, leather conditioned and glass cleaned with Fast Glass by Autoglym.

I will let the results speak for themselves.

The owner was extremely happy with the finish and has booked the MK6 GTI in for early next year for the same treatment.

For me, this was a fantastic detail on a spotless car. It was wonderful seeing this car again and getting to work on the car that started all of this.

Thank you for reading, all comments are welcome!

Mike
No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline n_d_fox

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • OCD.etail - Facebook Page
    • Email
Re: VW MK5 Golf GTI - This is where it all started
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 04:04:44 pm »
Lovely looking GTi... silver is a difficult colour to show reflections and depth but you've managed that nicely in the afters  :happy2:
Parting the rush hour traffic like a diesel powered Moses !
OCD.etail - http://www.facebook.com/pages/OCDetail/174298162661463

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 10:39:28 pm »
That finish has made me think twice about dismissing silver. It really looks good!  :drinking:

+1 for sheeting. This is what I do before I towel dry the car and it gives me an idea of how long a product lasts. R222 was the worse in durability (2 weeks!) and Menzerna's sealant one of the longest (three months) and 476s lasting longer (four months).

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 10:45:19 pm »
bugger mine needs a polish  :confused:
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline 08micsta

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 63
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 07:03:00 am »
Thanks for the comments guys, it turned out extremely well.

The Chemical Guys Wax is epic on light coloured cars.  :drinking:
No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline benjii

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 06:45:18 pm »
Good job my uncle detailing mine on the wekend hope its as good as your

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 07:40:32 pm »
I have just been online "shopping" for my father who intends to detail his Metallic Silver XC90 this weekend (no doubt with my help  :laugh:), as he commented last week that no matter how much he cleans it it never looks clean, a quick look at his paintwork saw lots of small orange and black spots on paint work (4 years of road grime probably  :scared:).

I bought for him.

Car-pro Iron X spray bottle
Clay bars 50g x 2 (Its a BIG car!)
Dodo Juice Born slippy clay lube
Dodo juice Lime prime prep
Collinite 476s Wax and some buffing cloths, and also 2 new lambswool heads for the family dual action buffer  :happy2:

That will no doubt be my saturday then  :sad1:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline csmithy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 08:13:02 pm »
looks good that, need to have ago at mine but to cold

Offline Mingle

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 01:28:44 pm »
This Friday calls for a big wash and a massive polish :) ready for the Christmas weekend :) well that if the weather holds off for me

Offline bazz55

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 10:50:23 am »
Looks like my car is well passed needing a wax then, nice tip there fella!!

great work my car is the same as the silver one apart from its 2 door, just need to get it looking as shiney as this one :)

cheers bazz