Make a donation

Author Topic: Can a sky box be made wireless for broadband?  (Read 4421 times)

Offline TagnuT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Can a sky box be made wireless for broadband?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 09:26:43 pm »
date=1334777403]

If not seen a few people using these on different sky forums:-

http://www.ebuyer.com/257251-edimax-5-port-wireless-n150-extender-access-point-ew-7228apn

So that's a receiver that I would then plug an Ethernet cable into and then into the sky box?

:happy2:

Have a read of this page there are a few discussions going on here

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1637322&page=3

Watch out with your ebay buy as:-

"Note: Not all Sky+HD boxes have active USB sockets so they will not be able to supply power via USB."
Bye Bye Edition 30.

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 09:33:27 pm »
date=1334777403]

If not seen a few people using these on different sky forums:-

http://www.ebuyer.com/257251-edimax-5-port-wireless-n150-extender-access-point-ew-7228apn

So that's a receiver that I would then plug an Ethernet cable into and then into the sky box?

:happy2:

Have a read of this page there are a few discussions going on here

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1637322&page=3

Watch out with your ebay buy as:-

"Note: Not all Sky+HD boxes have active USB sockets so they will not be able to supply power via USB."

cheers will have a read  :happy2:

there is a way to check if your usb port is "live" by plugging something like an iphone charger in to see if it gets power i think

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline VC

• Thank You

Offline MarkMarked

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 09:55:45 pm »
Would home plug AV not be a good solution??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004INVKP4

ive just had a look at that....wtf is it?  :grin:

more witch craft

what does it do? and type slowly so i understand....

Mains over Ethernet or Powerline are pretty good, as long as your house isn't split between two main mains boards, you plug one end near your router, connected to your hub by an Ethernet cable, then you plug the other one in near your Sky box and again use another Ethernet cable and your network travels over your mains wiring

They are great for extending wifi networks or getting internet access away from your router

I especially like the ones that have mains passthru onboard, so you only use one mains socket for bother the powerline adapter and the router

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 09:59:23 pm »
Ah that clears the fog a bit  :happy2:

Offline TonyZed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 10:52:46 pm »
There's an official connector?

Yes there is bud.... Around £60 but if you already subscribe to sky movies, you may find its free of charge, but as you don't have sky's broadband, then you may not get that offer.

sky are about about to launch there fibre optic broadband service any day now  :wink: 40 meg speeds only.

I had Sky fibre optic installed last week in Southampton.

Currently still only getting 23ish meg wirelessly, but that might be 'cos the Sky router isn't up to much. I haven't plugged a laptop in yet to see if that is any quicker.

I use a mains adapter to get BB up to my study, two floors up, and to get wi-fi further up the house as the Sky router loses about 10 meg of speed on each floor. Pre fibre optic my router was upstairs in the study with the mains /wi-fi adapter supplying (slow) broadband to the Sky box for Anytime +.  So they do work, with the added benifit that you have a second wireless network if you use that type. :happy2:

TonyZ

Saintsteve

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 07:25:29 am »
There's an official connector?

Yes there is bud.... Around £60 but if you already subscribe to sky movies, you may find its free of charge, but as you don't have sky's broadband, then you may not get that offer.

sky are about about to launch there fibre optic broadband service any day now  :wink: 40 meg speeds only.

I had Sky fibre optic installed last week in Southampton.

Currently still only getting 23ish meg wirelessly, but that might be 'cos the Sky router isn't up to much. I haven't plugged a laptop in yet to see if that is any quicker.

I use a mains adapter to get BB up to my study, two floors up, and to get wi-fi further up the house as the Sky router loses about 10 meg of speed on each floor. Pre fibre optic my router was upstairs in the study with the mains /wi-fi adapter supplying (slow) broadband to the Sky box for Anytime +.  So they do work, with the added benifit that you have a second wireless network if you use that type. :happy2:

TonyZ

Tony , your proberly find that speed will increase shortly, as they don't normally max the line out on initial connection. Give it time mate  :happy2: