Make a donation

Author Topic: S3 Intercooler Vs THS Intercooler  (Read 39264 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: S3 Intercooler Vs THS Intercooler
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2012, 11:25:52 pm »
This commen..t - 

It is really all relative, and a bit of a compromise.  If you genuinely get plagued by heatsoak and power drop off, then a touch more lag might be worth it (and I'm sure REVO and the likes could map out the lag).  But if you never actually get heatsoak on just the standard plastic GTI cooler - and just wanna upgrade for sheer vanity, then the lag will probably p!ss you off.  You really and honestly need to carefully assess what heatsoak you currently get, and then what the ultimate goal of swapping the i/cs will achieve.

is what plagues me as i have the S3 cooler and have thought long and hard about pairing it with the Twintercooler BUT am not sure how much I suffer from heat soak without doing any logs yet and have heard from two respected tuners about the loss of throttle response on the open road even though twintercooler may show gains on the RR...

If you did suffer from heat soak, you would probably notice it.  The ECU will progressively back off the available power.

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't actually know what heat soak is - or more importantly, an increase in heat soak.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2012, 11:30:42 pm »
Heat travels by three fundamental methods: conduction, convection and radiation. :nerd:

Mike, did you manage to find that old thread I did?

Did a few searches with your name as the poster, no joy  :sad1:
Did you try searching on the other forum - http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=16.0 ???

There are eight pages from the 'advanced' search option, limiting it to just the Mk5 board!  :scared:  I'll see if I can tweak the search parameter . . . 
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2012, 04:14:17 pm »
This commen..t - 

It is really all relative, and a bit of a compromise.  If you genuinely get plagued by heatsoak and power drop off, then a touch more lag might be worth it (and I'm sure REVO and the likes could map out the lag).  But if you never actually get heatsoak on just the standard plastic GTI cooler - and just wanna upgrade for sheer vanity, then the lag will probably p!ss you off.  You really and honestly need to carefully assess what heatsoak you currently get, and then what the ultimate goal of swapping the i/cs will achieve.

is what plagues me as i have the S3 cooler and have thought long and hard about pairing it with the Twintercooler BUT am not sure how much I suffer from heat soak without doing any logs yet and have heard from two respected tuners about the loss of throttle response on the open road even though twintercooler may show gains on the RR...

If you did suffer from heat soak, you would probably notice it.  The ECU will progressively back off the available power.

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't actually know what heat soak is - or more importantly, an increase in heat soak.

I have the BDM CAI which is basically the same as the ITG but with more heat soak when sat in traffic as there is no shield around the filter, but the gains when on the open road should be better than the ITG in theory. TT if you are Stg 1 only how come you felt it necessary to fit the twintercooler ie surely the S3 on its own is more than up to the job?
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2012, 04:39:48 pm »
TT if you are Stg 1 only how come you felt it necessary to fit the twintercooler ie surely the S3 on its own is more than up to the job?
Did you read my previous posts, and those over on GolfGTIforum.co.uk ??  :confused:

1/ I basically got lots of heat soak build up before I went Stg1, which caused a drop off in performance.

2/ the OEM siting has serious compromises, which the Forge overcomes.

Read this thread, in full.  :wink:
------

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2012, 08:19:52 pm »
TT if you are Stg 1 only how come you felt it necessary to fit the twintercooler ie surely the S3 on its own is more than up to the job?
Did you read my previous posts, and those over on GolfGTIforum.co.uk ??  :confused:

1/ I basically got lots of heat soak build up before I went Stg1, which caused a drop off in performance.

2/ the OEM siting has serious compromises, which the Forge overcomes.

Read this thread, in full.  :wink:

will do, not been on other forum really and forgot about what you said re siting of the oem cooler
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1