Make a donation

Author Topic: Sell me a DESKTOP computer...  (Read 2133 times)

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
Sell me a DESKTOP computer...
« on: January 03, 2012, 04:35:45 pm »
Apologies in advance, I know we get loads of these threads and I know there's an awfrul lot of Mac love on here but I have a computer on its way out (old Dell 5150) and need to sort something reasonably quick-ish.
It needs to be relatively future proof (assuming the world doesn't end in Decmeber  :laugh: ), reasonably priced (as wifey is working next to zero hours at the moment so income is somewhat limited) and reliable as it will be used a lot by my kids for homework.
I've been browsing an awful lot lately, checking out hotukdeals and the cashback sites almost non stop for a month or so as the computer has slowly declined in health. It is now struggling to perform at all so I think action will be needed soon.
I'm not into computers at all, I work with two microsoft ones at work all night, have a microsoft netbook for VAGCOM and a bit of internet browsing so am comfortable with Windows applications.
But I know a bunch of you will be trying to sell me on a Mac and I must admit I've been looking at the iMac refurbs from Apple which apprear a couple of times a month for £749 and upwards, and the same ones appear on DSG websites for about a hundred quid less but don't hang about as they're normally sold by the time I've done a quick bit of research on each model.
The main thing that attracts me to the Mac is that my kids have an iPod and an iPhone (which was picked up on here in excellent condition for a very good price  :happy2: ), so syncing iTunes would be nice and easy (not that they use it much).
 And then there's the Mac loving on here that has gradually brainwashed me!!

On the flip side, my boys need to be able to work on various programs for school and college work, so the documents and powerpoints need to be able to be easily swapped from one computer to another without lots of editing and fiddling about so they can be used on Microsoft computers at school.
Plus I can get Microsoft products for virtually nothing via my father in law's business, so don't really have to pay for any programs and upgrades, but that's only for Windows computers, he can't get Mac software cheaply via his contracts. I don't really want to start paying through the nose for computer programs that I've been used to getting for next to nothing or even nothing (all legit too!) just so they'll work on a Mac.
Plus I don't want to spend ages going through all the crap on my current computer and converting it to work on another system. I just want to drop it into my external hard drive and dump it onto the new computer and it still works. There's five years plus of stuff on there and I really can't get motivated to sort through it all!!

Sorry for the log and boring essay, here's my requirements: Internet browsing obviously, some movie and music downloads but not masses. Skype to talk to my step brother in Oz. Excel, Word and Powerpoint use (lots). DVD burning occasionally, a bit of video editing when I'm not too busy or lazy to do it. Basically general home use. No gaming.

Main stipulation is that I don't mind buying car mods when the mood takes me, but I hate spending money on computers so it needs to be decent enough quality to last me a few years without having to constantly think about updating internal components to keep abreast with ever more greedy programs using up all my graphics and memory.

Help!!

:happy2:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 04:38:02 pm by BeezerDiesel »
Andy
7R

Offline MarkMarked

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Sell me a DESKTOP computer...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 05:50:27 pm »

The main thing that attracts me to the Mac is that my kids have an iPod and an iPhone (which was picked up on here in excellent condition for a very good price  :happy2: ), so syncing iTunes would be nice and easy (not that they use it much).

On the flip side, my boys need to be able to work on various programs for school and college work, so the documents and powerpoints need to be able to be easily swapped from one computer to another without lots of editing and fiddling about so they can be used on Microsoft computers at school.

Windows sync with iphones and ipods just as well as Macs  :smiley:

If your kids use computers at school, would they be able to handle switching between Windows and Macs, even Office has differences between macs and Windows

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 06:02:50 pm »
They're kids - they can learn!! Old duffers like me are another matter!!

Currently running iTunes via Windows on this computer but it doesn't half slow it down even more.
Andy
7R

Offline Degudodger

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 07:15:46 pm »
I would do some homework on Dell Outlet.
The best systems seem to be there early in the morning but sell out as the day goes on.  :smiley:

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 07:42:20 pm »
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,40038.0.html
:wink:
Wondered when you'd be along!  :signLOL: Been looking at your thread and thinking about it a lot. You're a fair old hike from me though and I need to decide whether a Mac is right for me and the £££.
Looks nice machine and the warranty is very appealing.  :smiley:

I would do some homework on Dell Outlet.
The best systems seem to be there early in the morning but sell out as the day goes on.  :smiley:
You're right there Ian, I work nights and always seem to miss the best outlet deals!
There's a nice Dell on hotukdeals right now that may be a bit overkill for me but is actually cheaper than an outlet system once you've factored in the cashback!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 07:45:11 pm by BeezerDiesel »
Andy
7R

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 07:47:38 pm »
Just upgrade your PC for about £100. You can get a motherboard, cpu and ram bundle from ebuyer for about £78. Then just throw in a new sata hard drive (if your existing hard drive is no good), install windows. Jobs a good un.

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 07:55:08 pm »
Just upgrade your PC for about £100. You can get a motherboard, cpu and ram bundle from ebuyer for about £78. Then just throw in a new sata hard drive (if your existing hard drive is no good), install windows. Jobs a good un.

Nice budget option there but I've heard conflicting stories about how upgradeable Dell's are. It's quite an old computer now and the DVD drive isn't working 100% now either. It's just suffering general old age!! It has got loads of nice programs on the thing but few of them are working properly now thanks to general slowness and other problems.
 :sad1:
Andy
7R

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 08:08:08 pm »
You can get a new case for £22 including a power supply. So all in for £110 plus whatever you spend on the HDD, unless youve already got a spare kicking about.

Have a look at the frequently bought together underneath:

http://www.ebuyer.com/260870-amd-athlon-64-x2-7550-bundle-including-amd-athlon-64-x2-7550-athlon-64-x2-bundle3

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 12:59:42 am »
Put together a fair few PCs in the past and you'd defo get more for your money putting one together yourself rather than buying off the shelf.

Sounds like your old one is a bit past it and if your able to upgrade main components yourself and you need to change quite a few bits you may aswell go the whole hog and make a brande new system with the latest parts to get the most out of the upgrades or you'll be back in the same boat not that far down the line again  :happy2:

Motherboard/CPU/Ram bundles are good value and once you've set your budget just play around with the extras till you get the right compromise...... things move forward so fast in computing that whatever you buy will be old hat in 3-6months anyway  :signLOL:

Dave

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 01:04:18 am »
depending on where you're located what i'd do is go to Eclipse Computers in Coventry and have them spec up a PC for you. give it a go building it yourself. if you get stuck, take it back to them (with a genuine copy of an OS) and they'll get it working for you for £40 and it'll have a year's warranty. sorted.

but if you give it a go yourself (as i did) you'll know what you're doing for next time, and you can build yourself a beast of a machine (like mine) for not very much money at all
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 05:15:12 am »
I'm a long way from Coventry, down in deepest Devonshire.

I wouldn't mind building a new computer in theory and a few years ago I would have done it without much thought (I changed the PSU on my current Dell when it died a few years ago so am not scared to take the cover off and tinker!), but you can pick up pre built computers for not much more money than a home build, it will work out of the box, have software installed to get it up and running and importantly it will have a warranty.
If you're into computers and know what you're looking for in each area that's fine, you can pick up bits from wherever is cheapest and bolt them together. But I'm not into computers, they're just tools to me and I'd rather have a nice working system pre built nowadays. As said by Dave, everything techy is out of date in 5 minutes and theres a better deal just around the corner every day.
I'll re-map my car quite happily but wouldn't ever consider over clocking my computer.

Just like modifying your Volkwagen, if you're not up to speed on what mod goes with what you can easily mess things up. I spend a fair bit of time researching what direction I want to do in with my car, experiment with a few bits and move on again. I'm not like that with computers, I just want a good system out of the box that will last a while and not pay through the nose for it. I like a bargain and don't generally buy anything unless it is a bargain or at least a very good deal but I don't want to go into overkill on a computer getting something that I wouldn't get the best use of and on the flip side I don't want something that won't support software in a couple of years or starts to run really slow.

So yes, I'm impossible to please!!  :laugh:

Thanks for all the input though  :smiley:
Andy
7R