Make a donation

Author Topic: Quaife Differential group buy. Now going ahead!!  (Read 10297 times)

Offline TT-Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 18
Quaife Differential group buy. Now going ahead!!
« on: January 03, 2012, 07:05:11 pm »
Looks like I'm going to change the differential on my MK2 TT FWD (same as the golf). I have known the Quaife family well for quite a few years through racing and may be able to sort a discount out on some differentials if people are interested? I have got my TT to stage 2 and going 2+ soon so need to upgrade the diff as traction is poor (even with WALK kit and other suspension work!)

If anyone is interested could you put your name down so I can see what the reception is like. Hopefully if there is 5-10 of us then a discount could be had. These things are normally about £702 for manual gearbox's and about £930 for the DSG gearbox. I'm sure we could get a discount on any differentials so if you have another car etc that may need one then that should be fine too  :smiley:

Cheers,
Dan

The list:
1. TT-Turbo - Manual
2. Edition_30_P - Manual
3. Kregiel GTI - Manual
4. Syrag64 - Manual
5. James - Manual
6. Bernhard30 - Manual
7. Been-0 - Manual -TDI 140
8. Gti_Mad- DSG
9. GarethB - Manual
10. fab5freddy- Manual
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:33:54 pm by TT-Turbo »

Offline Edition_30_P

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
  • Edition 30 P
    • Email
Re: Quaife Differential group buy
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 10:01:14 pm »
I'm 100% interested in one for my Manual Edition 30  :happy2:

1. TT-Turbo
2. Edition_30_P
MK5 Golf GTI Edition 30|APR Stage 2+|Milltek Non Res TBE Decat|ITG Intake| Forge Twintercooler|Autotech HPFP Internals|Forge DV|R8 Oil Cap|AP Coilovers|WALK Kit|ECS Dog Mount| THS Mounts|Eibach F&R Anti Roll Bars|Sachs Uprated Clutch

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 10:11:33 pm »
I am in.

1. TT-Turbo
2. Edition_30_P
3. Kregiel GTI
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline TT-Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 12:49:07 am »
Excellent! Glad to have some good initial interest in this. If I can get a couple more people up for this then I will give Mr and Mrs Quaife a call.  :happy2:

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 07:33:58 am »
What sort of labour costs is it to have a diff fitted to a manual car

Offline TT-Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 09:44:35 am »
What sort of labour costs is it to have a diff fitted to a manual car

Well this will be my first diff change on a road car but is more simple than a clutch change. Gearbox stays in situ but driveshafts will come out. I spoke to an Awesome Gti mechanic and he reckons 3-4 hours so not too bad considering the massive benefits. It's a mod that will help handling as well as acceleration grip and last for life so although a chunk of money it's well worth it   :happy2:

Offline ktlstar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 09:53:40 am »
The Quaife diff is the best mod i have ever owned. I use to have it my starlet turbo and i dont think it helped with wheelspin, you need a 1.5way really. Its into the corners/bends it comes out to play.

I could just plant my foot round the bends and it will just pull you round like a go kart.

Its a must item!

- #1240 ED30 Revo STAGE2+
- Southeast - Vag Com owner

Offline TT-Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 10:16:39 am »
The Quaife diff is the best mod i have ever owned. I use to have it my starlet turbo and i dont think it helped with wheelspin, you need a 1.5way really. Its into the corners/bends it comes out to play.

I could just plant my foot round the bends and it will just pull you round like a go kart.

Its a must item!

Cheers for the review :smiley: good to know what people think of them. The main thing with upgrading to a LSD diff (like the quaife diff) is that the power is moved to the wheel with the most amount of grip, so mid cornering when the inside wheel goes light and slips the outside wheel slips too because of this. With the LSD diff the power would of been moved to the outside wheel with more available grip which try's to eliminate any wheel spin at all.

Even under straight line acceleration the diff will be worked. The more the power can be moved around from wheel to wheel the better. This helps stop both wheels spinning more and more as momentum builds up. The problem with the OEM diffs is they don't move any power around from wheel to wheel so if one wheel spins then chances are the other will too. Having an upgraded diff will always put the power down to the wheel with most grip regardless.

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 10:31:35 am »
I have to agree, it is a fantastic mod even if one of the more pricey that I have undertaken.

I'm not sure about the statement on fitting it without dropping the gearbox  :confused:. The old diff's rivets have to be drilled out and ARP bolts at about £100 used to fit the Quaife so this needs to be figured in to the cost. Here is a link to a Youtube vid of a Peloquin diff being fitted in super-quick time which shows the process as it's pretty much identical

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:33:26 am by muckipup »

Offline TT-Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 10:53:08 am »
I have to agree, it is a fantastic mod even if one of the more pricey that I have undertaken.

I'm not sure about the statement on fitting it without dropping the gearbox  :confused:. The old diff's rivets have to be drilled out and ARP bolts at about £100 used to fit the Quaife so this needs to be figured in to the cost. Here is a link to a Youtube vid of a Peloquin diff being fitted in super-quick time which shows the process as it's pretty much identical

Looking at it, the gearbox will have to be taken off. Sorry for the false info. It doesn't seem overly complex but quite time consuming. Not sure how long it takes to do all of that. Probably about an hour to pull the gearbox out and an hour to refit so it just the time to change the diff out of the gearbox housing 2/3 hours maybe?

Will look into what the situation is with the ARP bolts.
Cheers for that info, very helpful   :happy2:

Offline TT-Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 11:06:58 am »
Just found out that Quaife have a Crownwheel bolt fitting kit that comes supplied free with the diff so this is not an extra cost and comes in the price of the diff. So everything you would need to fit the diff comes with it.

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 11:08:27 am »
Are you sure about that? I thought the Peloquin did but the Quaife did not. I could have that the wrong way around.

Offline TT-Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 11:16:45 am »
Well Quaife have listed that it comes with the fitting kit included when I searched for the diff that my TT and also the MK5 golf will use. Peloquin do also supply a fitting kit.

"Audi Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential comes complete with a crownwheel bolt fitting kit."

According to the website Quaife say it does. I will of course check when speaking to them as would cost another £60-100 for a fitting kit normally. But according to the website the diff comes with a fitting kit so that should be included in the price.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 12:20:44 pm »

Very interested as per PM  :happy2:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 12:49:59 pm »

1. TT-Turbo
2. Edition_30_P
3. Kregiel GTI
4. Tfsi Mike  - manual