Make a donation

Author Topic: Car hire recommendations - Tenerife  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
Car hire recommendations - Tenerife
« on: January 04, 2012, 01:16:32 pm »
Me and the girlfriend are off to Tenerife in march and have been thinking about renting a car for a couple of days so we can do our own thing. Just wondered if anyone could recommend somewhere online to book through please.

I have driven abroad, rural France where its nice a quiet. I there anything I should be aware of when driving over there?

Matt

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
Re: Car hire recommendations - Tenerife
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 01:19:18 pm »
Most smaller comp-anies in tenerife dont believe in servicing their cars, we went a few years back and the 1st car I got in the brake pedal went pretty much to the floor, after a few pumps its firmed up a little, then i checked the pads and found pretty nothing there, took it straight back and checked the orthers cars until we settled on another which looked liked it had actually had brakes done in last 3 years.

Stick with the larger companies (I do now lol).
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Matto

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 01:24:26 pm »
Well the plan is to book it with someone reputable before we go. Just trying to find out who these are.

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 01:35:22 pm »
I was sent to work in Gran Canaria in September, and noticed that pretty much all cars had a ding on them - so I would point out every bit of damage before taking the car away.
I never had to hire a car but from what I hear you're better paying for a service that's going to cover your backside should any damage occur.

Also, watch out for folk weaving in and out of traffic, and generally driving a little uncivilised   :driver:
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline GTsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 01:41:31 pm »
Me and the girlfriend are off to Tenerife in march and have been thinking about renting a car for a couple of days so we can do our own thing. Just wondered if anyone could recommend somewhere online to book through please.

I have driven abroad, rural France where its nice a quiet. I there anything I should be aware of when driving over there?

Matt

In the past ive used Easycar (Same company as EasyJet) and picked the car up from the Airport.

Not sure if they're the cheapest but their cars are decent and they're a large reputable company.

As for driving out there, its not too bad  - they're far more laid back than us, but you tend to adjust to their way of driving quite quickly

:happy2:

Offline tkboyle

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 02:04:43 pm »
Centauro

Used them a few times in Spain. Very good service. Often upgrade your vehicle.
Like them on Facebook and you get a discount code.

Last time we booked a Focus Familiar (estate).
Drove away in a fully spec'd Peugeot 508

Not the cheapest but hassle free hire car.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 02:24:17 pm »
I've used recordgo about 8 times in tenerife mate, there great. You gotta realise though your not going to get a brand new golf tdi or something like that. more likely a kia or renault something like that. I always get the excess waiver, if so the guys couldn't care less what condition it came back in. One of the reps even said you can carve your name into the paintwork and we wouldn't care!

Im always worried about getting stung after using hire cars, but record go have been great.

The cars are left at the airport with a rep and when you drop them off all you do is drive to the airport, park up in their bays, lock the car with the key in and done!

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 04:17:45 pm »
http://www.top-car-hire.com/car_hire_canary_islands/fuerteventura/index.php

Change the pick up point to Tenerife.
Easy to book on line and generally the cheapest throughout the Canaries. Have used them 3 time a year for over ten years. wouldn't go with anyone else.

The advantage with this is that you can pick the best exchange rate. Book when you think it is at its lowest and then if it changes cancel and book again :happy2:

Don't expect it is much difference if you only want it for a couple of days though :innocent:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Matto

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 06:49:34 pm »
Cheers for the recommendations. While I was at work I checked the ones I could think of and Europcar seemed quite reasonable aswell. We went last yeah and did a few trips out. Did a jeep tour up Tiede but never got the chance to go right to the top on the cable car which is what I'm hoping to do this time round.