Make a donation

Author Topic: remote opening garage door  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
remote opening garage door
« on: January 06, 2012, 08:22:11 pm »
Anyone got some info on these. can i just get my current garage door modified with a motor kit or does it mean getting the whole door replaced. my one at the moment is just a bog standard tilt back one were the bottom just travels up the guides on the sides.  :popcornsoda:

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
Re: remote opening garage door
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 08:28:21 pm »
You need an electric garage door for the 2 times a year you drag it out??? :stupid: :signLOL:

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 08:31:17 pm »
Hey

Not too clued up about these things, but I recently helped my mate on his garage build - he got this guy to supply and fit a rolling door with remote fobs. I've wired up a courtesy light to it and it has some fancy features. Runs off a plug (~1500w to use).

If anything it may be worth talking to the guy about what your possibilities are.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/autorollukltd/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3692
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 08:32:08 pm »
You need an electric garage door for the 2 times a year you drag it out??? :stupid: :signLOL:

:grin:

Pretty sure they can be retro fitted lar, prices start around £200 from memory!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 08:43:00 pm »

So by that logic you must have more arms than the Libyan freedom fighters for your 96 Tag watches.  :P

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 08:43:42 pm »

So by that logic you must have more arms than the Libyan freedom fighters for your 96 Tag watches.  :P
I only have one Tag watch! :P

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 09:02:51 pm »
As Greeners said, they can be retrofitted to an existing 'up and over' door, no need to change the whole thing

There will probably be a company local to you who can do it. Try someone who does garage doors or maybe automated gates, that'll be you best bet :happy2:

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 09:21:55 pm »
As Greeners said, they can be retrofitted to an existing 'up and over' door, no need to change the whole thing

There will probably be a company local to you who can do it. Try someone who does garage doors or maybe automated gates, that'll be you best bet :happy2:

Matt

Ta lar.  :happy2:

Offline StephenED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 53
  • Edition 40 No 135
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 09:33:17 pm »
I fitted one from this company,

http://www.garage-door-automation.co.uk/

not cheap but you get what you pay for. Fitted it over 6 years ago and not had any problems.

Buyers guide here.

http://www.garage-door-automation.co.uk/guide.htm

hope this helps.   :happy2:

Ifti

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 11:06:46 pm »
You can get a motor for an ip-and-over door, like what you have. Can be fit perfectly fine.

I splashed out a little and went for a full system - a sectional garage door, lie this:
http://www.thegaragedoorcompany.ltd.uk/sectional-garage-doors

The beauty of these is that they open vertically and into the garage, since the sections are hinged. This means you can get a larger car into the garage, or park a car right up to the door in front of the garage, and still open the door fine, since it doesn't open outwards etc.

Cant remember the make of my motor without going out and taking a look, but it was one of the top models that came with a 10 year guarantee and is maintenance free. It comes with 2 remote fobs which I can press from quite a way back, so the door is fully open before I even get to the drive.
Most also come with a courtesy light etc, which stays n for about 2 mins then goes out itself.

The teeth of the motor lock when the door is closed, so its pretty much impossible to open the door once down - even if you stick a jack under it etc. In fact the manual states that the motor/door shouldn't be installed on a garage with no other access (I have a rear door on the garage as well, and a side door into the house) since once its closed you cannot break in at all, unless you cut through the steel door.
The installer told me he once had to go to a house where they couldn't open the garage door and had lost their fobs, so the owners had to break into it via the roof of the garage!
If you need further details on the motor I have give me a shout  :wink:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 11:54:17 pm »
What are we talking / ball park figure for a single garage. Just the modification to my own, i cant splash out to much, just because i find it it hard getting in and out of the Exige.  :rolleye:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 12:12:00 am »
See reply #3  :booty:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 12:12:26 am »
I was just posting this below.  :grin:

Ignore my last post, i have re-read the thread and spotted Greeners help.  :laugh:  :ashamed:

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 09:14:32 am »
TC

I went with German engineering when I built my double garage 8 yr.'s ago. Hormann (pronounced 'whore man') insulated double door with electric motor. I think the motor added £300-400 to the overall cost, but its been one of my better ideas, use it every day - never failed to open (expect when we had a power cut - Yes we had payed the bill)

Dont know if you can retro fit to your existing door, think it depends very much on the door and (don't know how to say this) how much headroom  :ashamed: you have

http://www.hormann.co.uk/

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 62
  • "Every great journey starts with a single step.."
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 10:58:07 am »
I've got a standard up-and-over door with wheels at the top of the door which run backwards in horizontal tracks.  About 6 years ago, I went for the LM60 which is fixed on the ceiling with a bar to the top of the back of the door. 

http://www.liftmaster.de/htm/body_produkte_gdo_en.php

It is a belt-driven system which just pulls the top of the door backwards and therefore opens it!  It cost me about £160 off ebay and I fit it myself.  Wasn't difficult, just took most of 1 day.  Runs off a standard 13amp socket.  Quiet motor, light, soft-closing, etc..  Parts and extra remotes readily available.  It has worked faultlessly since.  First and only mod on my house!

Obviously not my video, but shows you how it connects to a different kind of door.  You can also still open the door manually if you pull the release handle (as shown at the start of the vid).  Not sure what they're saying in the vid, but you get the idea..

Hope that helps.

Paul.