Make a donation

Author Topic: JKM Rolling Road - 11th February 2012....  (Read 112351 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: JKM Rolling Road - 11th February 2012....
« Reply #435 on: February 11, 2012, 10:47:08 pm »
Have you got an old dirty air filter.  Your curve looks like you would see some food gains at the top from an intake

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #436 on: February 11, 2012, 11:11:37 pm »

Do all Dyno dynamics dynos work the same or do different dealers set them up in different ways?

Cheers

Offline GarethB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #437 on: February 11, 2012, 11:27:56 pm »
Have you got an old dirty air filter.  Your curve looks like you would see some food gains at the top from an intake

This aimed at my pic Sy???

Have an ITG fitted which is about 4 months old.

Twintercooler is now on, and need the map tweaked to suit, but Jim at JKM didn't have time today.

Offline Makefish

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #438 on: February 11, 2012, 11:33:50 pm »

Do all Dyno dynamics dynos work the same or do different dealers set them up in different ways?

Cheers
Some (including JKM) set up DD dyno up properly and understand how to extract meaningful information ....... others haven't got a fecking clue what they're doing!

http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/dynotesting.htm

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #439 on: February 11, 2012, 11:37:10 pm »
This aimed at my pic Sy???Have an ITG fitted which is about 4 months old.Twintercooler is now on, and need the map tweaked to suit, but Jim at JKM didn't have time today.
Just seemed strange that power dropped off after 5500rpm so steeply id have expected it to level if until 6500-6900rpm.  Even more so if you have an intake and intercooler.

That said everones seems to be doing the same as well today so ignore me

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #440 on: February 11, 2012, 11:40:40 pm »

Cheers
Some (including JKM) set up DD dyno up properly and understand how to extract meaningful information ....... others haven't got a fecking clue what they're doing!

Iirc Shootout mode allows the software to do the work alongside sensors, negating the chance of operator errors.  This is why you get very consistent figures between different dyno dynamics Rollers.  So the variations are only from strapping, what gear is used and what cooling fans

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #441 on: February 11, 2012, 11:41:41 pm »

227bhp and 230lbft  :happy2: Lower than expected, but the way it is delivered and spread over a wide band shows how the wmi helps. Not too shabby for a 1.4 with just a zorst, map, intake and wmi. Next stage begins next week, Loba LO270 hybrid turbo, intercooler and another map.  :party:

And again thanks to everyone for organising the day and the drive down was immense :evilgrin:

Graphs just for Janner.....

Silky smooth AFR.

Gorgeous spread of torque of 225-230lbft held from 2500rpm all the way to 5100rpm and only dips below 200lbft just before 6000rpm
Power curve is lovely and smooth too and tops 200bhp at 4740rpmand still holds over 210bhp at 6800rpm

Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #442 on: February 12, 2012, 12:04:48 am »
 :drinking: replied in your thread.  Good figures there  :happy2:

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #443 on: February 12, 2012, 12:15:10 am »

Cheers

Iirc Shootout mode allows the software to do the work alongside sensors, negating the chance of operator errors.  This is why you get very consistent figures between different dyno dynamics Rollers.  So the variations are only from strapping, what gear is used and what cooling fans

Shootout mode is extremely effective, but there are other factors to consider such as the rpm that the run starts, how the operator calculates the RPM reference ( the dyno needs the operator to input an RPM reference as a factor to calculate torque) you can use various methods such as inductive pickup, pulse feed from an injector or roller tacho. Roller tacho is the easiest and quickest. However if the operators rpm input is 200-300pm out this will cause low/high figures.

The most important thing is to be consistent, there are no definite right or wrong methods as such but if you stick with your chosen method you wont go far wrong. Dynos are tuning tools, not power comparison machines.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #444 on: February 12, 2012, 12:18:07 am »

Cheers

Shootout mode is extremely effective, but there are other factors to consider such as the rpm that the run starts, how the operator calculates the RPM reference ( the dyno needs the operator to input an RPM reference as a factor to calculate torque) you can use various methods such as inductive pickup, pulse feed from an injector or roller tacho. Roller tacho is the easiest and quickest. However if the operators rpm input is 200-300pm out this will cause low/high figures.

The most important thing is to be consistent, there are no definite right or wrong methods as such but if you stick with your chosen method you wont go far wrong. Dynos are tuning tools, not power comparison machines.

Thanks very much Dave  :happy2:

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #445 on: February 12, 2012, 01:57:48 am »

Here's my car's attempt to draw table mountain with a power curve:

Tbh ignoring peak figures that's a strong graph. Strong midrange torque and a nice plateau of power.  An intake would give you a nice result

Cheers. The car certainly drives fine and checking through my VCDS logs I can't find anything wrong. No problem with boost, N75 duty cycle, missfires, temperatures..... Mechanically I'm not aware of any issues.

The only thing I can imagine is that a new filter is required, as currently fitted is an 18 month old GSF paper item. In the interests of science I'll change it and see what happens on VCDS g/s logs at the high end.

I wonder why mine made a 300lbft (very much transient) peak every time, yet the other K03 cars from memory were lower and flatter from 3000-4500rpm. How odd.

alackofspeed- is you car an early (2005) DSG ?
It is an 07MY car with a BWA engine.  

May I enquire what the early gearboxes do differently to newer models?

The rolling road lark is good for generating thought even if the absolute numbers should be treated with caution. :happy2:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 02:02:07 am by alackofspeed »

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #446 on: February 12, 2012, 07:33:06 am »
^^^^^ this is my old 06 BWA GTI with Revo S1

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #447 on: February 12, 2012, 08:21:18 am »
And here's my graph with the AFR plot

and Torque

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #448 on: February 12, 2012, 08:39:23 am »
My numbers were well down from the previous two JKM Dyno-Day sessions: From around 269 bhp to 244 bhp and the torque max down about 5 ftlb, but the curves okay. Air-Fuel Ratio plot was erratic and was beginning to get slightly erratic on my previous session last October.

I've always said that apart from the social and fun aspects of a Dyno-Day meet, it's a very important opportunity to check the health of your car. It's also partly why I always go to JKM - For consistency and because they know my car so well.

I'm not going to try and guess what's wrong but the worst case might be valves. The next move is to revisit JKM and for Jim to do some logs and then we'll take it from there.

The car drives well and performs and responds well too on the road, so no obvious signs of a fault.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline GarethB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #449 on: February 12, 2012, 08:54:01 am »
This aimed at my pic Sy???Have an ITG fitted which is about 4 months old.Twintercooler is now on, and need the map tweaked to suit, but Jim at JKM didn't have time today.
Just seemed strange that power dropped off after 5500rpm so steeply id have expected it to level if until 6500-6900rpm.  Even more so if you have an intake and intercooler.

That said everones seems to be doing the same as well today so ignore me

Here's my graph from last time, when my earlier map was changed to Revo stg1 and the ITG was fitted. You can see how much my car liked the viezu map  :confused:

From comparing from graph from yesterday to the above, i can see & understand what you're saying. Car doesn't feel any different to drive though.

Jim's comments on yesterday was that the car is running great, but map needs tweaking to accommodate the twintercooler.