Make a donation

Author Topic: Car parts - Sending overseas (Italy)  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Moschops

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
Car parts - Sending overseas (Italy)
« on: January 08, 2012, 12:31:23 pm »
Hi all,

Has anyone sent car parts over seas? If so what is the best way to send it, RM, Courier, Parcel Force etc?  Any pit falls?   :scared:

It's an Alloy Wheel from Mrs Choppers old Polo, it's boxed. Transaction via Fleabay, guy from Italy really wants it... :happy2:

Any advice please guys.

TIA
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
Re: Car parts - Sending overseas (Italy)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 12:38:21 pm »
Ive sent parts to Oz, Brazil and Italy, ive always used RM airmail, make sure you get a tracking number, and even by airmail can still take about 3 weeks to arrive mate
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 01:07:30 pm »
First up, you're taking the usual precautions in sending stuff to another country, aren't you? You're aware of all the scams with Paypal chargebacks and hacked accounts?

Second, it'll cost just under £29 plus vat  (£34.50 inc) to send it via Parcel Force international, tracked (based on dimensions of 60cm x 60cm x 20cm)
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 01:22:33 pm »
First up, you're taking the usual precautions in sending stuff to another country, aren't you? You're aware of all the scams with Paypal chargebacks and hacked accounts?

Second, it'll cost just under £29 plus vat  (£34.50 inc) to send it via Parcel Force international, tracked (based on dimensions of 60cm x 60cm x 20cm)

Tell me more Mr Viking... :happy2:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 01:34:09 pm »
With Paypal, if the customer funds their Paypal account with a credit card then it's flawed. They pay by Paypal which comes off the card. You get guaranteed funds from Paypal, you send the goods, customer receives the goods, customer tells credit card it's an unauthorised transaction or goods never arrived, credit card company reverse the transaction and customer gets his money back including a new wheel, and Paypal pursue you for the money they have to pay back. Removing your funds from Paypal doesn't work as they take you to court apparently. This one is more common in the UK.

Same thing with a stolen Paypal account. If it's unauthorised then Paypal will eventually return the funds to the rightful owner and pursue you for the money. This one is more common from overseas.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 01:36:25 pm »
When selling abroad don't use PayPal. Way too many pitfalls

Transfers only  :happy2:

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 04:53:34 pm »
Thanks all for the info....fecking hell, nothing is ever straight forward these days is it.... :laugh:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 06:09:48 pm »
What communication have you had with this guy? Has he offered to pay more than you're asking and send his "representative" to collect? Or anything unusual such as "I'm really interested in your item for sale.." instead of a more genuine "I need a Polo alloy for my car and I found yours on Ebay". Anything which involves sending you money by a third party, or "Paypal will hold the money until you despatch the items", or anything shady at all?

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 06:39:50 pm »
What communication have you had with this guy? Has he offered to pay more than you're asking and send his "representative" to collect? Or anything unusual such as "I'm really interested in your item for sale.." instead of a more genuine "I need a Polo alloy for my car and I found yours on Ebay". Anything which involves sending you money by a third party, or "Paypal will hold the money until you despatch the items", or anything shady at all?

Hi Viking, he's got in touch through the actual auction page, he's been in touch before, he seem geniune and has not sent or asked anything like you have listed above. I'm gonna wrap the wheel up in it's box and get it weighed, send him the costs and that I'd want the money sent via a bank transfer (can you do this for overseas stuff) and take it from there.  :happy2:

Thanks for your input.  :smiley:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 06:49:32 pm »
Nessun problema! (did you see what I did there...)  :jumping:

Anyway, when you get to sending the thing I found the cheapest quotes from >>> Postage Supermarket <<<. I set the weight as 25Kgs (a wheel should be less than that) and dimensions as 60cm x 60cm x 20cm. The price they quote is plus vat mind you, so works out at about £35 as I said. You'd be better registering as a customer and then you'll get an email confirmation with printable despatch labels and invoice etc. Print off the invoice and ask the collection driver to sign it when he comes, that's your proof of collection.

I've just sent a laptop to Sweden, and they (Parcelforce) collected it next day as promised and I'm tracking it at the moment. It's apparently "Forwarded for export".

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 11:02:02 pm »
JKM Performance has recently temporarily shut down it's online site because of problems with overseas customers using Paypal.
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37411.msg448639.html#msg448639
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:09:30 pm by bacillus »
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline lukejenks101

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 11:29:56 am »
I used parcel2go, it cost me £13 to send a instrument cluster to greece and he had recieved it within a week, they just give you a load of prices, this was parcel force but was half the price of going to them direct

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 12:08:21 pm »
Buyer from the UK has bought the wheel and is going to collect it.....cash... :happy2: win win...

Thanks for everyones help and input... :notworthy:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 01:04:20 pm »
A much better result.  :drinking: