Make a donation

Author Topic: HPFP Leaking (Uprated Internals)  (Read 10473 times)

Offline DonalM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 10
HPFP Leaking (Uprated Internals)
« on: January 09, 2012, 06:01:02 pm »
Hi Guys,

I refitted my HPFP with KMD uprated internals the other day.

The following morning it started to misfire and Engine Management Light came on.

Got at it today and petrol is leaking into the oil in the engine.

All the seals seem to be okay, the only place I can see that it could be coming out is up through the piston??.

Anyone ever experienced this before??.

Thanks in advance.
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31784.0.html

TR DSG Gti- K04, TTRS Brakes, BBS, H&R, RNS, Xenons, Leather, Ed30 Front lip, US Smooth Grill, RVC, Miltek, WALK, Loads of Forge bits + lots more.

Offline JackG

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
Re: HPFP Leaking (Uprated Internals)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 06:25:08 pm »
Hi Guys,

I refitted my HPFP with KMD uprated internals the other day.

The following morning it started to misfire and Engine Management Light came on.

Got at it today and petrol is leaking into the oil in the engine.

All the seals seem to be okay, the only place I can see that it could be coming out is up through the piston??.

Anyone ever experienced this before??.

Checked the bucket that the spring hits?

Thanks in advance.

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline DonalM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 06:46:57 pm »
Thanks Jack. It seems to be okay.

Just had another look and there's a gap in the two semi-circular collars that come with the internals at the top of the piston.

Is this supposed to be there??.

TR DSG Gti- K04, TTRS Brakes, BBS, H&R, RNS, Xenons, Leather, Ed30 Front lip, US Smooth Grill, RVC, Miltek, WALK, Loads of Forge bits + lots more.

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 09:54:25 pm »
If the internals are like the Autotech ones then yes there will be a little gap when you put them together. Did you rebuild the pump in the first place? Earlier KMD internals have been known to leak fuel past the seal.
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Offline DonalM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 10:01:56 pm »
If the internals are like the Autotech ones then yes there will be a little gap when you put them together. Did you rebuild the pump in the first place? Earlier KMD internals have been known to leak fuel past the seal.

Thanks for the reply.

No the internals were just put straight in.

Would a full rebuild sort it??.

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 10:12:56 pm »
I very much doubt cleaning the pump would fix it and there are no replacement parts for the pump. I would get rid of the internals and buy a brand new pump and fit some Autotech internals, but the best option IMO would be buy the APR pump.
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

Offline DonalM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 10:57:06 pm »
Flip it.  :fighting:

Thanks again.

Probably go with the Autotech one. Can't justify that money for the APR.

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 09:31:49 am »
Bad news there mate, but just to echo Martin, I would splash out on an APR pump, made from scratch so they can't leak.  On the plus side, it's lucky you spotted it when you did as it could have caused significant damage.  :sick:

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 04:31:50 pm »
I have also been at the receiving end of a failed pump following after-market internals. I also agree with Martin that new internals are probably not the answer. It is most likely to be a failure of a seal in the OEM pump housing caused by the uprated internals. Just out of interest, are you running a remap which would demand the full 130 bar of fuel rail pressure (eg Revo)?  The reason I ask was that my map did not and my Autotech pump held in there but when I changed to Revo and got the full 130 bar of fuel rail pressure (which is what I needed and exactly what a Stage 2+/3 map should be delivering), the seal went pop. One APR pump and a hole in the wallet later and all is well now.

Here is some more info:

http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/tfsipumps.htm

and specifically

http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/Misc/Misc_Performance_pictures/APR%20Pump/tech/pumpimages/Visio3_big.jpg

Come to think of it....Martin, you bought my Autotech internals....dare I ask why you mention the APR HPFP in your sig?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 04:34:19 pm by muckipup »

Offline DonalM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 05:52:53 pm »
Thanks again guys.

What I don't get is how some people have no problems running them with big power (330+ hp.)

Think my car is cursed  :fighting:

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 06:02:58 pm »
I have also been at the receiving end of a failed pump following after-market internals. I also agree with Martin that new internals are probably not the answer. It is most likely to be a failure of a seal in the OEM pump housing caused by the uprated internals. Just out of interest, are you running a remap which would demand the full 130 bar of fuel rail pressure (eg Revo)?  The reason I ask was that my map did not and my Autotech pump held in there but when I changed to Revo and got the full 130 bar of fuel rail pressure (which is what I needed and exactly what a Stage 2+/3 map should be delivering), the seal went pop. One APR pump and a hole in the wallet later and all is well now.

Here is some more info:

and specifically

http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/Misc/Misc_Performance_pictures/APR%20Pump/tech/pumpimages/Visio3_big.jpg

Come to think of it....Martin, you bought my Autotech internals....dare I ask why you mention the APR HPFP in your sig?
Dave, I fitted them into my 100k pump and ran 130bar no problems but I was concerned about my high mileage pump so fitted them to a brand new pump, then a secondhand APR pump popped up on here for a steal so I bought that as I prefer the shape of the piston over the stepped Autotech design. I sold my other pump on, I believe it's still fine with its new owner.

Provided the pump piston has been manufactured within its tight tolerances and fitted in a new pump with a seal that has not been worn to the size of the O.E piston it should be fine.

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 06:16:15 pm »
Great to hear that Martin  :happy2: I think you are right, the failure rate of the Autotech seems to be low and probably related to a 'lottery' with the seal in the OEM pump particularly when it has already been used with the standard internals. As with all lotteries, I usually luck-out!

Offline DonalM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 06:25:00 pm »
Cheers guys.  :notworthy:

Has anyone a part number for a new pump and a rough guess at what they cost??.

I have another pump here with 40,000 miles on it, I might'nt chance it.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 06:58:33 pm »

Here is some more info:

and specifically

Dave, I fitted them into my 100k pump and ran 130bar no problems but I was concerned about my high mileage pump so fitted them to a brand new pump, then a secondhand APR pump popped up on here for a steal so I bought that as I prefer the shape of the piston over the stepped Autotech design. I sold my other pump on, I believe it's still fine with its new owner.

Provided the pump piston has been manufactured within its tight tolerances and fitted in a new pump with a seal that has not been worn to the size of the O.E piston it should be fine.

Not necessarily so. I fitted my Autotech internals and the pump ran fine for 50k miles. It started to fail (luckily it was caught as it started) and it was still running 129.99 bar when logged.

The problem isn't anything to do with the OE pump. It is the stepped design of the piston. Fuel gets behind the step and as the piston compresses it attempts to compress the fuel. Liquids can't be compressed so they find the easiest route which just happens to be past the energised seal. Once that happens then i think you need a new pump as i'm not sure (someone may be able to confirm) if the seal is replaceable.

When mine went i changed to APR and i would say to the OP to either search eGAy for a used APR one or buy new for peace of mind :happy2:

A new pump is

06F 127 025 K - £177.77 Inc VAT from a Stealer.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:01:27 pm by vRS Carl »

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 07:36:42 pm »
The inner seal is not a replacement part but if it were you'd certainly never DIY it. I took Daves pump seal out, when I'd finished trying to get it out it was completely mashed!

Is this a Briskoda meet?  :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:39:17 pm by martziniuk »