Make a donation

Author Topic: my pcv valve was faulty, check yours it takes 5 mins  (Read 35120 times)

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
my pcv valve was faulty, check yours it takes 5 mins
« on: January 10, 2012, 10:34:28 am »

Hi guys and girls, fisly a lot of you probably know about this but just in case :-

Over the past few weeks I have noticed a few little niggles with the car that I put down to cold weather.  Fistly leaving my close on a cold engine the DSG usually ends up in 3rd gear, lately at times it struggles to make it into 2nd as I slowly accelerate out of my close to the junction at the bottom.  I had also noticed a very slight lag between gear changes and not quite as much acceleration punch during spirited driving, nothing too serious though i'm making it sound worse than it is.  Finally my MPG seemed to be worse, I should point out that I don't monitor this too much, it's a performance car and it uses lots of fuel, I just get on with it BUT when I got 280 miles out of a tank even I knew that wasn't right.

SO....  I took my car to JJ @ R-TEK motorsport speaking to him over the phone he knew what it was before I got there and had already ordered the part in for me.  A scan with Vag com revealed nothing so we went for a test drive using Vag com to record boost readings, back at the workshop the PCV valve was removed and tested (a simple suck/blow was enough) it was clear the valve was faulty, staying open all the time.

5 mins later, with a new PCV fitted another test run shows that the turbo is producing and extra 0.1 BAR of boost, the DSG is back to normal i.e smooth and changing gears @ 1900 RPM and a few days running has seen my MPG figures dramatically increase. 

It's a very easy task and well worth checking.  I can't believe the difference I have noticed.  Heres a link on how to replace a PCV if you can't figure it out

http://vagdrivers.net/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t40537.html

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Re: my pcv valve was faulty, check yours it takes 5 mins
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 11:10:58 am »
Didn't know the was that easy to test Steve. Good to know!

I removed mine and fitted a BSH PCV blank and catch can set up, sorted for good then!
| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 11:14:30 am »
Didn't know the was that easy to test Steve. Good to know!

I removed mine and fitted a BSH PCV blank and catch can set up, sorted for good then!

I thought about the same but as I'm only stage 1 and didn't want the fuel smell they can give off I passed on the idea.  Searching the forum last night one member was quoted a shocking £250 from VW for this work to be done!!

Offline micaerin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 11:37:04 am »
How much is a new PCV valve, and is it worth getting an OEM or can you get an upgraded version?

2007 GTI DSG, Xenon's, Armrest 6 Disc ,Rear Parking Sensors,Sunroof,Lux Pack,Cruise,Electric drivers seat,MFSW,RNS 510,Miltek Cat Back.

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 11:39:00 am »
£250?! It's literally 5 minutes to change! A new OEM PCV is cheap from the dealers too isn't it? Rip off!
| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.

Offline micaerin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 11:45:44 am »

Hi guys and girls, fisly a lot of you probably know about this but just in case :-

Over the past few weeks I have noticed a few little niggles with the car that I put down to cold weather.  Fistly leaving my close on a cold engine the DSG usually ends up in 3rd gear, lately at times it struggles to make it into 2nd as I slowly accelerate out of my close to the junction at the bottom.  I had also noticed a very slight lag between gear changes and not quite as much acceleration punch during spirited driving, nothing too serious though i'm making it sound worse than it is.  Finally my MPG seemed to be worse, I should point out that I don't monitor this too much, it's a performance car and it uses lots of fuel, I just get on with it BUT when I got 280 miles out of a tank even I knew that wasn't right.

SO....  I took my car to JJ @ R-TEK motorsport speaking to him over the phone he knew what it was before I got there and had already ordered the part in for me.  A scan with Vag com revealed nothing so we went for a test drive using Vag com to record boost readings, back at the workshop the PCV valve was removed and tested (a simple suck/blow was enough) it was clear the valve was faulty, staying open all the time.

did you just change the valve or the piping as well, like in the how to link?
5 mins later, with a new PCV fitted another test run shows that the turbo is producing and extra 0.1 BAR of boost, the DSG is back to normal i.e smooth and changing gears @ 1900 RPM and a few days running has seen my MPG figures dramatically increase. 

It's a very easy task and well worth checking.  I can't believe the difference I have noticed.  Heres a link on how to replace a PCV if you can't figure it out

http://vagdrivers.net/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t40537.html

2007 GTI DSG, Xenon's, Armrest 6 Disc ,Rear Parking Sensors,Sunroof,Lux Pack,Cruise,Electric drivers seat,MFSW,RNS 510,Miltek Cat Back.

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 12:57:26 pm »
My piping was spot on so just the valve was replaced. 

Offline micky 32

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 01:26:09 pm »
An even simpler test. When the engine is idling pull the dipstick and the engine SHOULD start running rough. When you put dipstick back in and the engine SMOOTHS out again the PCV is ok.
2008 Octavia vRS K04'd , Forge twintercooler, Evoms, Autotech uprated pump, full Milltek exhaust 324bhp on JKM's rollers ;-)

Offline Marko1982

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 03:00:43 pm »
I changed mine today as idle was uneven and there was hissing noise coming from the area when I switched the engine off, took 10 mins from start to finish and all sorted. No rough idle and no hissing, all for the cost of the part at 33 squid.  :happy2:

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 08:37:25 pm »
I changed mine today as idle was uneven and there was hissing noise coming from the area when I switched the engine off, took 10 mins from start to finish and all sorted. No rough idle and no hissing, all for the cost of the part at 33 squid.  :happy2:

Have you noticed any difference? Im sure it stands out worse on DSG cars, just been out in mine again and it's all good

Offline SteveS

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 10:31:11 am »
(a simple suck/blow was enough)

Doing this on the pipe that sticks out should not allow any air though either way?

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline nickg123

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 04:38:24 pm »
Nice, looks quite simple to do - Wonder if it's something worth doing anyway as it could only help I guess??