Make a donation

Author Topic: Retaining Personal Plate when SORN  (Read 607 times)

Offline E30Dom

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
Retaining Personal Plate when SORN
« on: January 10, 2012, 06:58:29 pm »
Hi Guys of Wisdom!

My mate has his Nissan Navara SORN'd at the moment, and now wants to sell his truck as it's out of TAX and engine has blown...

But he wants to retain his plate... It has an MOT... Can he do this without having to tax it for ££££ only to then pay another £105 to retain his plate...?

Any help appreciated... as always.

Dom
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline too hot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Retaining Personal Plate when SORN
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 07:36:58 pm »
Short answer is YES.
He can put the plate on retention whilst the vehicle is Sorned,the important thing is the MOT
No need to tax it if he is remaining on the sorn status,
2014 White 3dr S3 Stronic

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
Re: Retaining Personal Plate when SORN
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 08:30:35 pm »
Move quickly. I had a personal plate on my motorbike. I applied to move the plate from the bike to a recently acquired car, and found that the DVLA would not allow the transfer as the bike had been on SORN for more than one year. So I had to tax, insure and MOT the bike JUST to get the plate transferred. This was last month.

If your friend's vehicle has been on SORN for less than one year, a transfer or retention is fine. Greater than one year and he will have to tax, MOT & insure it simply to transfer the plate. Ridiculous state of affairs.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)