All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

new tyres time

<< < (4/6) > >>

The wheel man:
I dont know what you mean    :mad: :jumping: :fighting:

Guess the guy in the cap is RR !!  (only joking)

RedRobin:

Okay, hoping all you're eyes are now suitably glazed over, so I'll begin....

The tyre industry as a whole recommends that on FWD cars where it's safe to mix tyre treads (but always matched on axles and never at all on AWD vehicles) that you run your deeper treads on the rear rather than the front. This of course assumes that your front treads are not threadbare! The basic reason is (as I understand it) that as you approach the limits of your front wheels you don't want your rear wheels to be heading off as too much oversteer - The rear needs stability.

When you have insufficient tread on the rear wheels of a FWD car, the rear end may more easily step out of line (oversteer) and furthermore this lack of adhesion can more easily result in a spin. Anyroadup, it's the tyre industry recommendation.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/michelinuk/en/car-van-4x4/less-worn-tyres-rear/20070314172074.html

I'm sure that T_T can either elaborate or start a debate in which I'm told I'm totally wrong.

You can refresh your eyes now and here's your reward for sitting quietly and listening : -

Or I'm sure you prefer : -

The wheel man:
OK that i understand.  But i have to say that if you have better adhesion on the rear due to newer tyres / deeper tread this would encourage understeer which is, in my opinion, more common a trait to come across that oversteer.

Put it this way, if you needed to do an emergency stop what would you prefer to be fitted to the front of your vehicle.  New tyres or part worn?

Im not saying that Michelin (for instance) are wong its just that would have thought that the tyres that do 70 odd percent of the breaking, all the power and breaking would need to be the better ones........

Ben

RedRobin:
^^^^

Swings & Roundabouts, so to speak.

Ideally you need good enough tyre treads all round. Every circumstance/instance of braking, cornering, etc, is slightly different.

:happy2:

gazbutS3:
Its also about behaviour under braking, all the weight is transfered to the front so you need the best grip you can get from the rears to stop them breaking adhesion whilst there isn't much weight on them :smiley:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version