Make a donation

Author Topic: Ultimate dubs  (Read 20229 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Ultimate dubs
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2012, 06:09:26 pm »
I remember being ast the Shark Performance open day last year.  A lovely RS4 saloon came in and looked awesome.  It then preceded to sink itself to the tarmac and IMO looked ridiculous.  Completely ruined it.

Then i saw the install in the boot that made it possible, which IMO makes it an even bigger joke!!

The 3 guys there on air ride just stood there raising the cars up and down repeatedly, or making it into a trike so they could show people how to change a tyre without a jack.   :indifferent: :indifferent:

Not my thing i know that.  I cant stand the look of slammed cars, i think they look ridiculous.

2p

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2012, 06:23:28 pm »
I think air ride can look awesome on the right cars. I think the issue becomes when the majority of cars are on air ride. But i guess it's all about trends and soon everyone will move on to something else.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2012, 06:30:36 pm »
don't know why your freakin del boy, I'm a big fan of air ride, but i don't need to go in one to know its not as good as a good RACE suspension, why not a gti or r32 because there supposed to be a performance car, to me air ride is decked scrapping the floor looking awesome, not much point having 200 bhp
I agree with this,

It all come down to personal opinion, air does serve 2 Purposes which is to go low and them be able to raise it up again...that's why It was made...NOT to go around the ring  :wink:

Let's take al for example...car is on air and on some nice wheels, he has a lovely interior...it's clear to see that al has spent some serious coin on the car and it shows, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see al wanting to take his interior out and go around the ring to set some records, al enjoys the looks and fair play to the bloke
Most people on here are interested in how fast stuff goes...that's what the GTI golf is about..speed...go over to edition 38 and post in the new members section with a standard golf gti and your replays will be "space the rears out and set it on some lows" over here it's "get it mapped"

What I'm saying is that it's all personal opinion and as we're on the GTI forum your mostly going to get the "it doesn't make your handling better etc etc"

Me personally can't stand the low spaces out rears etc...it's way way way to common but it doesn't mean to say it doesn't look good, I'd feel a bit emotional if I spent 2K on some BBS RM's and 1.5K on air ride and went to a show and everything looked like mine,
My favourite car of the weekend was the old van on bricks! Went the complete opposite way to the "stanceworks scene" and the things flys....awesome  :driver:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2012, 06:59:20 pm »

That video goes to prove nothing. Neither does saying a car with 600bhp has air so it must be up for the job.... Nope, doesn't prove anything.

Do BTCC cars run on air? Clio cup? DTM? F1? WRC cars?

Air serves 2 purposes and 2 only, and that is going low when sat still, and being able to raise it so you can actually drive the thing.

(4 things if you include burning your arches to the bare metal and smashing sumps) ;-)

Just because those stated above don't run on air it doesn't mean that air wouldn't handle just as well especially after the same amount in years of R&D has been put behind them. I also imagine under these extreme enviroment's the teams would rather stick to the basic set up that coilover's provide plus the potential difference in weight between the 2 set up's.

I absolutely love the look of cars on air but would I have a kit fitted to my car?

Nope

I have absolutely no intention of modding my car to that level and the whole system would be wasted on me but then again so would coilovers.

But one thing that has been bugging me reading this thread is that people seem to be jumping on the ''I hate air/it handles like jelly bandwagon'' without even experiencing it for themselves. Perhaps next time you see someone at a R/R or meet instead of sitting there sniggering why dont you pop over and see if they would take you out in the car then come back and give your opinion :happy2:

Ben
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:02:32 pm by B3n »

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline JASGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2012, 07:54:03 pm »
Bags are for fags. Go static or go home is the way I see it
Mk5 Gti, dsg 5door.

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2012, 08:14:09 pm »
Bags are for fags. Go static or go home is the way I see it
:signLOL:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2012, 08:17:13 pm »

now now girls ETTO

People spend endless amounts on performance based cars too.  Appreciate both myself

Offline JASGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2012, 08:20:29 pm »
also the drive home made me laught. people doing 50mph on the motorway to stop arch rub and such. i see it that i build both my cars to drive and thats what i do.(within the law :signLOL:) dont fink the detailing boys went much on my oily rag i used to wipe the tyre off the side the car and dishs sunday morning either
Mk5 Gti, dsg 5door.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2012, 10:06:22 pm »
Modifying cars is ultimately about expressing your personality we all get drawn down different paths. I am not sure why the guys with air ride are bothered about what people say. Its like being a punk rocker, if you have a mohican you going to get the stares.  :wink: If you think about it as two groups, the stance guys and the power boys i wonder which is the most outlandish. Most people on this forum think the guys who slam their cars with poke and a nice interior are the mad ones and yet the power guys take a front wheel drive                                           family hatch and try and put 360BHP through the  wheels. The only place they can use all that power is exiting roundabouts when the kids are not in the back.  :laugh:
Seriously though apart from the occasional comment the guys with air ride are well respected on here and dont get any grief.  :happy2:  were all mad as cheese.  :pomppomp:                             

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2012, 10:15:36 pm »
Great weekend at UD's, thanks to Detail My Ride who did a great job on my car given the short amount of time they had to prep it, it looked stunning. Also thanks to Dodo Juice for there hospitality and interesting conversation in Frankie and Bennies  :surprised: :laugh:
Good to meet some new faces, Deako, Ben, Russ and some familiar ones too  :happy2:
I too can appreciate the time, effort and money that is put into the air ride cars, the world would be a boring place if we all wanted the same things...

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2012, 10:54:14 pm »
Great weekend at UD's, thanks to Detail My Ride who did a great job on my car given the short amount of time they had to prep it, it looked stunning. Also thanks to Dodo Juice for there hospitality and interesting conversation in Frankie and Bennies  :surprised: :laugh:
Good to meet some new faces, Deako, Ben, Russ and some familiar ones too  :happy2:
I too can appreciate the time, effort and money that is put into the air ride cars, the world would be a boring place if we all wanted the same things...
:love: the dodo juice guys! There crazy :signLOL:

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2012, 08:35:03 am »
Anyone seen Barryboys ripping into the cars?

http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36420

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2012, 09:46:47 am »

Those plonkers have no clue, there  was a thread on there not too long ago and some guys was taking the piss out of a SWB quattro! It was the rally version...the proper one that's worth about 40K and there giving it the juice about the vents in the body  :stupid:

They have no clue and do nothing but take the mick and call anyone a Barry who has done a non standard mod to there car, used to be funny when your see a sh*troen crapso with a airfix body kit on it but now they have just gone to far with everything and it doesn't even seem funny anymore,

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2012, 09:50:30 am »

Those plonkers have no clue, there  was a thread on there not too long ago and some guys was taking the piss out of a SWB quattro! It was the rally version...the proper one that's worth about 40K and there giving it the juice about the vents in the body  :stupid:

They have no clue and do nothing but take the mick and call anyone a Barry who has done a non standard mod to there car, used to be funny when your see a sh*troen crapso with a airfix body kit on it but now they have just gone to far with everything and it doesn't even seem funny anymore,

I agree. I posted elsewhere that you can just imagine they all drive Fiestas with tartan rugs on the parcel shelf.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2012, 10:40:34 am »
Did make me chuckle a bit though!  :grin:

I'd love to know what quality machinery he was piloting!!  :chicken: