Make a donation

Author Topic: 3D Tv- Plasma or LED?  (Read 8568 times)

Offline RoMocop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
3D Tv- Plasma or LED?
« on: January 13, 2012, 09:35:24 am »
Hi all, looking into buying a 3D TV mainly for gaming my PS3 :grin:. Looking to buy one that's about 37".
I don't know much about 3D tvs, just wondering which is better out of plasma and Led. I have a Led tv at the moment and love the colour but have heard some plasmas are better for 3D?
Any suggestions for any Tvs that will be good in 3D for the PS3? I won't be using it to watch normal telly.

Thanks. :happy2:

Revo | S3 Front Brakes| VCDS (Don't know how to use :laugh:)

Also. Golf R, Rising Blue, DSG, Leather, 19" Tallys, RVC, RNS510 DAB, F+R Park Sensors, Hill Hold, CC, DynoAudio, H&R ARBs, Milltek Non-Res CatBack, Garage Vary Carbon Fibre Lip.

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: 3D Tv- Plasma or LED?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 10:21:04 am »
Hi all, looking into buying a 3D TV mainly for gaming my PS3 :grin:. Looking to buy one that's about 37".
I don't know much about 3D tvs, just wondering which is better out of plasma and Led. I have a Led tv at the moment and love the colour but have heard some plasmas are better for 3D?
Any suggestions for any Tvs that will be good in 3D for the PS3? I won't be using it to watch normal telly.

Thanks. :happy2:

at 37" id put your money in led

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 10:21:15 am »
http://www.whathifi.com/reviews/tvs

use that to find a TV that best fits your requirements and then search for the best price, THEN go to your local John Lewis and get them to price match and voila, free 5 year warranty.

enjoy your new TV  :happy2:
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline GTsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 10:38:57 am »
Been looking for a new TV myself recently - and LED TV's are the ones to go for if your budget allows.  Crisper picture

:smiley:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 10:55:40 am »

use that to find a TV that best fits your requirements and then search for the best price, THEN go to your local John Lewis and get them to price match and voila, free 5 year warranty.

enjoy your new TV  :happy2:

John Lewis will only price match up to a certain distance from the store and I believe it has to be in stock.

Panasonic were doing a 5 year warranty on Plasmas when I bought mine 2 years ago. You may find they are doing similar now.  :smiley:

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 11:38:39 am »

John Lewis will only price match up to a certain distance from the store and I believe it has to be in stock.

Panasonic were doing a 5 year warranty on Plasmas when I bought mine 2 years ago. You may find they are doing similar now:smiley:

They were a couple of months ago as I replaced mine with a Panasonice TH50VT30 3D TV and got a free 6 year warranty  :happy2:

Good luck, some Panasonic stores will also price match John Lewis too.  :wink:

Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 12:29:41 pm »
At 37" you are limited to led as plasma panels don't start to around 42/43" anyway..
Led is definitely the choice for gaming imo, faster screen response, sharper picture, no issue if playing in a brightly lit room and no worries about image burn compared to plasma,
I've just changed my old Samsung 37" lcd for a Samsung 40" led 3D (UE40D6530) and it's excellent  :happy2:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 02:43:35 pm »

Panasonic were doing a 5 year warranty on Plasmas when I bought mine 2 years ago. You may find they are doing similar now.  :smiley:

true but it doesn't have to be the store you're buying from

so let's say chain A has a store, store A, 10mi from John Lewis A, but the max distance is 5mi for arguments sake and chain A also has a store, store B, that is 2mi away from John Lewis B - then you could get John Lewis B to price match store B, and then get John Lewis A to pricematch John Lewis B and they will

i know because i've done it  :happy2:
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline RoMocop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 03:48:37 pm »
Thanks for all the input. I will have a nosey at Led ones. Think the best thing to do is go to a shop and try a few out first. :happy2:

Also. Golf R, Rising Blue, DSG, Leather, 19" Tallys, RVC, RNS510 DAB, F+R Park Sensors, Hill Hold, CC, DynoAudio, H&R ARBs, Milltek Non-Res CatBack, Garage Vary Carbon Fibre Lip.

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 03:57:44 pm »
Thanks for all the input. I will have a nosey at Led ones. Think the best thing to do is go to a shop and try a few out first. :happy2:

Best bet tbh mate  :happy2:

Next choice is whether to go active (smart) or passive 3D... Both give great 3D of comparable quality but the active sets have no loss of 2D screen resolution like the passive 3D sets, downside of the active sets is the need for more expensive glasses (£39 a pair for Samsung) compared to being able to use cheaper cinema style glasses on the passive sets..

I went active 3D for the better 2D screen resolution as that's what i'll use it for 95% of the time  :happy2:

Offline RoMocop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 04:01:54 pm »
Yeah, think I will go for the active glasses. Seen a few deals where they're throwing in a few pairs of active glasses when you buy the tv.

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 04:06:11 pm »
Yeah, think I will go for the active glasses. Seen a few deals where they're throwing in a few pairs of active glasses when you buy the tv.

I got 4 in total with my Samsung from Currys  :happy2:

Really can recommend the 6 series Samsung panel, excellent set and a bargain in 37" imo  :happy2:

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 05:52:03 pm »
led all day long , imo samsung are best on market now used to be sony but not so good in the last 2 years

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 06:22:00 pm »
I have a Samsung LED 42" for my PS3 game room (Read "Man Cave"  :happy2:) and for TV a 50" Samsung LED, both are excellent and both replaced previous samsung units (of 37" and 42" respectively).

I have thought about a 3D TV for gaming but would not want to spend the cash on another TV and likely a smaller one within budget, stick with the 42 for now  :happy2:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 06:33:14 pm »
Samsung are great and always like their tv's.

Definitely go for an LED. If you go series 7 or 8 the remote is like an iPhone and the chap in best buy says you can watch one channel on the tv and one on the remote lol