Make a donation

Author Topic: Am I a sinner? + How you store detailing kit?  (Read 3436 times)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Am I a sinner? + How you store detailing kit?
« on: January 15, 2012, 10:54:09 am »
I have two cheapo buckets that I 2BM with.  I'm still wanting to get a pair of larger ones w/grit guards.

In the meantime ive started ocasionally rinsing the mitt after contact with the car with the low pressure on the karscher...
 I going to detailing hell?

Also show us you methods of storing your hordes of detailing goodies!
I just have a large plastic box ATM but would like a bag of some sort for wash mitts and one for drying / polishing stuff

:popcornsoda: discuss

Mike
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:59:53 am by Tfsi_Mike »

Offline gizmo68

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
  • We're here for a good time, not a long time
Re: Am I a sinner? + How you store detailing kit?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 11:51:24 am »
I don't use the 'detailing' buckets or grit guards and IMO they are not needed - my buckets are more than large enough to wash a Superb Estate, so why do I need larger? grit guards are only necessary if you drop a mitt down into the bottom of the bucket, don't let go of it as you are rinsing it out and it won't get grit into it anyway  :happy2:

Not sure I would use the karcher to rinse the mitt out though as it is easier to dip it in the rinse bucket.

I store my stuff in plastic boxes with lids.
VCDS HEX-NET & VCP owner (covers all VAG cars)
(PM me if you require VCDS or VCP coding or scanning in Kent)

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 12:11:12 pm »
I'm like you as rinse the worst out my mits with a karcher, but then they go through the washing machine with all the other microfiber clothes and stuff.

To store I've got an autogleam bag and 2 plastic crates. Autogleam bag tends to have all the doubles in it ATM and the 2 boxes used to be one for interior and one for exterior but no it's one for the most used and one for occasionally used products and stuff I tried and didn't like. And I've got another plastic zip bag with clothes, mits, brushes in.

All I need to do is go and use it as the car is filthy ATM lol

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 12:11:41 pm »
I would be careful PWing the mitt - you don't need more than the flow of tap water to wash the mitt.

Storage - I have a huge cupboard in the garage where I store my stuff as well as a big plastic tub. Am looking to buy something with lots of drawers so I can segregate my cloths and make it easier for me to get a particular colour out.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 12:16:03 pm »
I don't use the 'detailing' buckets or grit guards and IMO they are not needed - my buckets are more than large enough to wash a Superb Estate, so why do I need larger? grit guards are only necessary if you drop a mitt down into the bottom of the bucket, don't let go of it as you are rinsing it out and it won't get grit into it anyway  :happy2:

Thing with a normal bucket is when you plunge your mitt in and swirl the water round the grit will rise and more than likely contaminate your mitt. With a proper grit guard the grit sinks and isn't allowed to rise up. They've been designed for a reason, and I'm sure it's not just for people that drop their mitts into the bucket.

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 01:00:32 pm »
I only use 2 cheap buckets to do the 2BM also and thats before I give the car a good rinse to dislodge the majority of dirt and then snow form afters & rinse again with pressure washer before the was mitt comes out.

Same here with 2 large plastic boxes with lids to store the many types of microfibre towels,the other for polishing pads and a large cupoard where I store the forever expanding bottles/containers of compounds and waxes.

It seems there isn't enough space to store all the products relating to washing our cars! :signLOL:
Golf V 5DR DSG GT Sport,,Xenons,Full leather,18'Charlestons,Lux pack,storage pack,folding mirrors,front armrest, retrofited--mk5 gti  grilles,fog lamps grilles,GTi rear bumper,coloured coded sideskirts, VIM RNS-510 C,MK6 MFSW with paddles,GTi DSG gear lever,Cruise control,Highline.Rain sensor with window auto closure,TPMS.7P6 Bluetooth.

Mods to come: RVC, and.................

Offline tkboyle

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 09:20:04 pm »
I personally wouldn't bother too much with bigger buckets and grit guards if your careful.

A good pre-wash should be sufficient.
I also don't trust wash mitts as there is just too much chance of grit getting caught between the fibres.

I reverted back to sponges ages ago and do prefer it as I can see what's being picked up on the sponge and can be sure that using the 2 bucket method can ensure the sponge is clean before it hits the panels again. I now use dodo Juice supernatural sponges.

Like you I just have too much kit and not enough space, big plastic boxes dominate my detailing equipment Its cheap and does the job so doubt I'll change it soon.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 09:23:17 pm »
So no grit guards, no wash mitts, I suppose leather chammies are back in too? :signLOL:

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 09:28:32 pm »
I've plenty of sealed plastic boxes, wash mitts/drying towels in one, aplicator/pads in another and microfibers in the other. Have a cupboard for all waxes etc, but have brought these inside for the winter, so hidden them away under the stairs.

Garage makeover is the main priority this year as the flat roof has just started leaking, so after that is sorted, new door to be done.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 10:32:23 pm »
Detailing sponges are in a different league to ordinary sponges. The latter trap grit and dirt between panel and sponge, rubbing it across the paintwork. A bit like sandpaper or keying your car. Detailing sponges have a different cell structure which means the dirt is trapped within the sponge.

I've switched to a zymol sponge. I wipe a portion of a panel and inspect the sponge each time. Any dirt and it gets scrubbed on the grit guard in the rinse bucket.

Chamois leather has the same problems as normal sponges.

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 10:38:25 pm »
Plastic storage boxes, metal cabinet, carry DIY storage bags, plastic drawers, sealable bags and shelfs. Maybe ive got too much stuff? Oh and the boot of the car for essentials.

PM for details

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 11:12:59 pm »
What essentials do you carry in the boot? I have a bottle of quick detailer and one of glass cleaner, both 250mls, plus two MFs. All in the pocket on the right side of the boot.

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 11:28:14 pm »
What essentials do you carry in the boot? I have a bottle of quick detailer and one of glass cleaner, both 250mls, plus two MFs. All in the pocket on the right side of the boot.

Just a glass cleaner and a few micro fibres. I'm not a believer in a quck detail spray if that car hasn't already had a thorough wash. For the risk of inflicting any damage. No matter how minor it may be. Things like the AG bird dropping wipes make me cringe.

PM for details

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 11:42:30 pm »
I stopped using bird wipes. But given that bird lime can damage clearcoat, I'd rather take the lesser damage inflicted by trying to remove bird lime than accept etching by leaving it on.

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 11:49:55 pm »
I stopped using bird wipes. But given that bird lime can damage clearcoat, I'd rather take the lesser damage inflicted by trying to remove bird lime than accept etching by leaving it on.

I just wait until I get home or stop in past my unit and clean the car. I never really go any distance with the golf so it's not really a concern. Can see your point though.

PM for details