Make a donation

Author Topic: Help please  (Read 842 times)

Offline Rustybear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 2
Help please
« on: January 21, 2012, 10:57:26 am »
Hi all,

Very excited about getting a mk5 gti having had the 1.8t mk4. I have found one locally for sale by the head mechanic at local vw dealer that has 95k on the clocks, he is the second owner.

I have seen the service stamps all dealer every 20k and belt changed etc. Took it out drive well, pulled well etc took oil cap off and white sludge in cap!!! The car hadn't been started for a couple of weeks so could this sludge be because if the or signs of a problem maybe? The dipstick oil was clear when checking.

Car is really straight and documented etc just a bit worried about the 95k on a 2006 plate and the white sludge.

Any info/advice would be great as looking to make a decision soon.

Offline higher1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 11:12:47 am »
white sludge in the cap is quite normal if the car has only done short trips and not been up to the correct running temp if the dipstick is white also i would be worried though
Ah-exclusive custom ultra low H&R Coilovers 110mm, ITG induction kit, 18" super RS's, USA rear bumper, USA front grille with smooth number plate surround,recaro bucket seats. now sold !

mk1 golf 1.8 20v turbo

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 11:23:13 am »
Yes it seems normal on this engine but not so much on the 1.8t.
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Offline gazon69

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 11:29:57 am »
Ask him to take you on a nice lengthy drive along some bypass or a couple of junctions of m/way network get it nice and warm and it should clear. If not then steer clear. Then and again it all depends on what price he is asking as well :happy2:

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 02:10:31 pm »
might be a tad cynical of me...but if i was you i'd get on the phone to the VW dealership whose stamps are in the service book and just explain to them that your in the process of purchasing a car that appears to have been serviced by them, can they just confirm that they have actually serviced the car at the mileages stated in the service book..... just to err on the side of caution of course...
MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 04:32:57 pm »
might be a tad cynical of me...but if i was you i'd get on the phone to the VW dealership whose stamps are in the service book and just explain to them that your in the process of purchasing a car that appears to have been serviced by them, can they just confirm that they have actually serviced the car at the mileages stated in the service book..... just to err on the side of caution of course...

i was thinking the same thing, not doubting the seller but its easy for him to get hold of a stamp if he was trying to pass it on with a full vw history.

peace of mind for the price of a phone call, gotta be worth it

Offline RS6BRIT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 04:48:21 pm »
At work the other day our client asked if i wouldn't mind topping up the oil on her A3 2.0tfsi. I opened the cap and there was white sludge. She has had it from new (2 years) and has had all its services done at Audi. It does indeed appear that this is nothing to be too worried about. As said a good run should clear this and should highlight overheating issues associated with head gasket problems.

good luck with it  :happy2:
LEON CUPRA FOR SALE